Looking for VPS, budget $40/month, browser-based MMO

Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking to switch from my reseller account to a VPS solution for a browser-based game that I currently run. The game has no flash involved, very little javascript, and the graphics are optimized for low filesize. So there isn't a whole lot in the way of high-demand front-end.

I do use MySQL heavily, so heavy MySQL resource is a must.

I don't know the first thing about choosing RAM/Processor, etc when it comes to purchasing a VPS due to me never being on a VPS before. I'm sure ~50GB of space should suffice, as well as ~500GB bandwidth (we're not even using the much bandwidth now, but just in case).

My budget is $40/month, but I would also need cPanel (I don't know the first thing about running a server from the command-line, and I'm really not interested in doing it that way either).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've checked out IonVM as well as JoesDataCenter and am waiting to hear a response back from those guys about my questions.

But anyway, do any of you have a suggestion on which provider to go with? I obviously want impeccable uptime as well as fast support response.

Thanks a lot!
    Ricky

Ricky,

Depending on which provider you go with some might kick you out because of your heavy MySQL usage.

When contacting a provider, make sure you let them know that you intend to use mysql heavily. If you do start having problems it would be best to upgrade to a low-end dedicated server.

- Daniel

Where should the server be located? Do you want premium service? cPanel is generally $10 - $15 a month, so you're really looking at a $20 - $30 server. You can definitely get 1GB of RAM, but I would recommend upping your budget by $10 - $15 if you want amazing service.

By the way, if you can get one, BuyVM has MySQL offloading for $1 a month. Great deal!
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking to switch from my reseller account to a VPS solution for a browser-based game that I currently run. The game has no flash involved, very little javascript, and the graphics are optimized for low filesize. So there isn't a whole lot in the way of high-demand front-end.

I do use MySQL heavily, so heavy MySQL resource is a must.

I don't know the first thing about choosing RAM/Processor, etc when it comes to purchasing a VPS due to me never being on a VPS before. I'm sure ~50GB of space should suffice, as well as ~500GB bandwidth (we're not even using the much bandwidth now, but just in case).

My budget is $40/month, but I would also need cPanel (I don't know the first thing about running a server from the command-line, and I'm really not interested in doing it that way either).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've checked out IonVM as well as JoesDataCenter and am waiting to hear a response back from those guys about my questions.

But anyway, do any of you have a suggestion on which provider to go with? I obviously want impeccable uptime as well as fast support response.

Thanks a lot!
    Ricky
    I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting your needs within your budget.

ALSO -- any VPS provider that dumps you for heavy MySQL usage is the wrong VPS provider to go with. Your resources are yours to use/allocate as you wish, hence the name: Virtual PRIVATE Server.
    Cheap VPS Hosting with minimum 99.9% SLA.
    State College, PA VPS Hosting

I've seen some threads where people have been asked if they have a preference where the server is located, and most of my players are in the US, however they do range to being all over the world. So where the server is located isn't that big of a deal to me if that server can provide fast response to any user around the world.

What do you mean by MySQL offloading? I may be willing to go up to $50/mo, but really, I'd need to know that the $10 increase is going to be worth it and is needed. The problems my game is havign now (being hosted on a reseller account) isn't even due to the resources that it uses - it's due to the host's support team being morons when it comes to me asking them questions. (They told me just yesterday that I needed to switch my DNS servers to point to their servers instead of my custom servers, then today everything goes down and I ask them about it and they're like, sorry, we didn't realize you were on a reseller plan, you need to switch them back to the way you had them before.) I was like, wtf? Seriously?

So, anyway.. Anger aside..

I would need to know that the $10 increase per month is something that is absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
    Ricky

I've seen some threads where people have been asked if they have a preference where the server is located, and most of my players are in the US, however they do range to being all over the world. So where the server is located isn't that big of a deal to me if that server can provide fast response to any user around the world.

What do you mean by MySQL offloading? I may be willing to go up to $50/mo, but really, I'd need to know that the $10 increase is going to be worth it and is needed. The problems my game is havign now (being hosted on a reseller account) isn't even due to the resources that it uses - it's due to the host's support team being morons when it comes to me asking them questions. (They told me just yesterday that I needed to switch my DNS servers to point to their servers instead of my custom servers, then today everything goes down and I ask them about it and they're like, sorry, we didn't realize you were on a reseller plan, you need to switch them back to the way you had them before.) I was like, wtf? Seriously?

I would need to know that the $10 increase per month is something that is absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
    Ricky
    If you have been on reseller hosting all of this time then you shouldn't have issues with a VPS and MySQL. What I would suggest, is you get something low. A low plan for about $30-$35 and make sure you are able to upgrade. If you see that everything is working well on that plan stay, if not upgrade.

- Daniel

Thanks,
    Ricky
    The $10 a month increase would be for better quality. If the reseller is fine, why not just move to another reseller package? You will need to ask them the exacts of what they do with MySQL offloading.

Thanks,
    Ricky
    Hopefully the mods don't beat me for this but since you're asking about one of our services it should be OK.

Pretty much we have a really massive SQL server that clients can buy an account on where they can beat it up pretty good. We have users doing a few hundred Q/s without issue, we had some doing even more during their really busy times.

The box is built out pretty good so it can keep up with whatever work loads get thrown at it.

We've never kicked a client off it to date for what it's worth

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

By looking at your budget it is more to openvz VPS?
    what is your requirement on RAM? since you required high query for database, it is advice you to select VPS that allowed you to have at least 4 cpu cores.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    If you have been on reseller hosting all of this time then you shouldn't have issues with a VPS and MySQL. What I would suggest, is you get something low. A low plan for about $30-$35 and make sure you are able to upgrade. If you see that everything is working well on that plan stay, if not upgrade.

- Daniel
    Hey Daniel,

I just looked at your hosting website and am curious, your lowest plan available, the $30/month plan, do you think that would would for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Ricky

Hey Daniel,

I just looked at your hosting website and am curious, your lowest plan available, the $30/month plan, do you think that would would for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Ricky
    Probably... We're going off of very little, but it sounds like it should.

Hey Daniel,

Thanks,
    Ricky
    Hello Ricky,

It definitely does, but I am not sure how the resource usage was with your other provider. The only way to know is to try. You can always upgrade to a higher plan without any downtime. We also do have a 14 day money back guarantee.

- Daniel

Hello Ricky,

It definitely does, but I am not sure how the resource usage was with your other provider. The only way to know is to try. You can always upgrade to a higher plan without any downtime. We also do have a 14 day money back guarantee.

- Daniel
    Thanks a ton for your prompt response. Now, since I'm coming from a reseller with absoltue 0 server configuration experience, if I order a VPS plan from you that already comes with cPanel/WHM available, will I EVER have to do any command-line configurations or configure anything through cPanel to work correctly?

I know how to use WHM and cPanel from a reseller's perspective and that's it. On my current host, all I had to do was update the DNS and the host IP address in GoDaddy for my customer ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com name servers and then everything worked as it should.

Is that going to be the same case with you guys?

Also, how long have you guys been around? -- EDIT: Nevermind, I see your signature says 4+ years.

Thanks again,
    Ricky

Thanks a ton for your prompt response. Now, since I'm coming from a reseller with absoltue 0 server configuration experience, if I order a VPS plan from you that already comes with cPanel/WHM available, will I EVER have to do any command-line configurations or configure anything through cPanel to work correctly?

I know how to use WHM and cPanel from a reseller's perspective and that's it. On my current host, all I had to do was update the DNS and the host IP address in GoDaddy for my customer ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com name servers and then everything worked as it should.

Is that going to be the same case with you guys?

Also, how long have you guys been around? -- EDIT: Nevermind, I see your signature says 4+ years.

Thanks again,
    Ricky
    Ricky,

All of our VPS's are fully managed. Unless you want to learn something yourself, you will never need to use the command line. We setup all of your DNS, all you have to do is register the nameservers with the IP's we provide and change the NS for your domain.

Everything is managed by us and all plans include daily backups, all you have to worry about is running your website.

- Daniel

Ricky,

All of our VPS's are fully managed. Unless you want to learn something yourself, you will never need to use the command line. We setup all of your DNS, all you have to do is register the nameservers with the IP's we provide and change the NS for your domain.

Everything is managed by us and all plans include daily backups, all you have to worry about is running your website.

- Daniel
    Wonderful, that's what I like to hear.

Now, I'm going through the signup process right now and have decided to go with the TMZ-1536 plan. It's asking me for a hostname, which, I have no clue what that's even used for.

If I just enter something generic like "server.mydomain.com" in there, is that okay? (Of course replacing mydomain.com with my actual domain).

Wonderful, that's what I like to hear.

Now, I'm going through the signup process right now and have decided to go with the TMZ-1536 plan. It's asking me for a hostname, which, I have no clue what that's even used for.

If I just enter something generic like "server.mydomain.com" in there, is that okay? (Of course replacing mydomain.com with my actual domain).
    Yup, that is perfectly fine. server1.yourdomain.com myserver.yourdomain.com etc.

- Daniel

I just placed my order and it said that it's at high risk? What does that mean? That's pretty strange..

Hello,

I just checked, and here is your reason:

"This order is higher risk because the distance between the billing address and the user's actual location is so great."

I just had my sales team manually review your order and have set it back to pending. You can pay the invoice and you will receive all of the login details.

- Daniel

Oh, haha. Yea, I'm at work and our IP addresses go through Tennessee, which is our corporate office. That makes sense.

Thanks a bunch!

copahost.com

Any VPS plan suit for my website

I have selling brochure template online. daily traffic have 400-600. i wan my website can load faster and smooth. disk usage now is 3gb. any suggestion? thank u

Quote Originally Posted by michelle k View Post
    I have selling brochure template online. daily traffic have 400-600. i wan my website can load faster and smooth. disk usage now is 3gb. any suggestion? thank u
    Is you website loading slowly? Do you rely heavily on MySQL or have you setup all your pages to be static? Also, how much bandwidth dob you use?

Is that 400 - 600 unique visitors or page views?

Question

i've had a vps with ionvm for about a month and a half. bandwidth was spectacular, in fact better than my burst.net uk and us ones.

i had a nl offshore box with them. blistering speeds! around about 13 to 30MB/s between my servers.

service -- very slow, i think they only have one guy working for them, david. he responds to all my requests, in due order and time i.e. 48 hours or so.

i had my service suspended suspiciously and without being informed or anything and few days after i subscribed for 3 more months. highly suspect. we'll see what comes of when they respond to me eventually.

other negatives included that my vps would just stop responding for hours. there were many downtimes with them, including several ones that they acknowledged. they were migrating servers, and somehow manually missed to migrate mine. a lot of slopshod stuff. clearly if only one person is working there.

they have a good network overall, some infrastructure issues. the solusvm portal for the whole site was down more than once!

i think they'll get it together eventually. when it was working, it worked great and speed was not an issue. i am disappointed though with some of the stuff i mentioned above, especially as i'd paid in advance for few months for some of my services.

Hey UndeadCircus-

Hopefully I'm not too late for this response but I saw that you said you would be having heavy MySQL usage. I am too about to enter the VPS world and have been researching different web servers, db servers, mail servers, the whole 9 yards to see what offers the best performance and whatnot. During my research of db servers, I came across a MySQL drop-in replacement called Percona. What makes Percona different is that it has a unique storage engine called XtraDB which, as they claim on their website, can offer noticeably better performance over the standard InnoDB engine. I think it's definitely worth checking out but just thought I'd put in my two cents!

http://www.percona.com/software/percona-server/

Also, in the thread I started a few days ago, a user (WhichGunDotCom) seems like he had some real life experience with Percona, so you might want to consider messaging him if you had any questions. Oh, and here's the related post: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...3&postcount=11

Hope this helps!