hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Need a Windows VPS ASAP!

Forum Jump

Need a Windows VPS ASAP!

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Need a Windows VPS ASAP!

Hey guys... I am in the market for a new VPS. I need one like today! Seriously... my cycle ends this weekend, and I would need something to be set up and ready to go ASAP so I can take a day to transfer all my sites/data to new host.

I am currently hosted with Arvixe, and their VPS upgrade path is very limited. They only offer 2 packages. I'm on a 40GB HD, my sites/data use maybe 4-6GB.... and left with 500MB of free disk space.

As for their support, while they almost always have someone available on live chat, they take up to a week to set up a SSL (and they're very consistent with that time frame across multiple sites!)... 3 days to add server certificate permissions... but again... they still almost have someone on live chat to handle the basic tech support.

I haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem with their MS SQL Server Express, but same behavior happens on multiple accounts with them... it crashes/reboots/restarts multiple times during the day, every day.

-------------------

What I need:
At least 2GB of RAM, 2+ vCPU, 60GB+ of HDD, 10GB bandwidth.

As for software, and I know I can install them myself, but it'd be nice if it came pre-installed:
Windows 2008 R2 x64, asp.net 4.0, mySQL, MS SQL Express 2008 R2, PHP

Control Panel of Choice: WebsitePanel... so much easier to use and less convoluted than Plesk but I am willing to compromise!

As for the ideal host:
- someone reachable 24/7.
- flexible with upgrades... as in if I need more HDD space, I don't want to be forced into moving up to the next package and having to upgrade a slew of unwanted other specs (RAM, HDD, Bandwidth, vCPU etc...)

Budget: $80-$100

I've browsed quite a few hosts already and I'll be honest, it's a bit overwhelming, and as anyone, I'd love to land the right host so as not to spend the next 3 months testing waters and keep switching hosts!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Last edited by admc15; 07-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
/home/xenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpow1010 View Post
I know for sure in the New Jersey area you will be able to get that, I would search "Managed VPS in New Jersey".
I'm guessing you are hinting about Turnkey Internet?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Turnkey seems very expensive... the HDD they offer.... 10GB @ $79/month is absurd... it'd be funny if that 10GB includes the OS... leaving the user with less than nothing for his own data

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Web Host Reviewer

Look at EuroVPS or SolarVPS.
Your budget is good.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM
/home/xenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by admc15 View Post
Turnkey seems very expensive... the HDD they offer.... 10GB @ $79/month is absurd... it'd be funny if that 10GB includes the OS... leaving the user with less than nothing for his own data
That's if you order directly from their site. Take a look at their WHT offer. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1068077

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Web Host Reviewer

Note on Turnkey: Plesk 10 on Windows.

I'd suggest using a Plesk 9 Windows IIS7 server at this time.
I've read too many credible complaints on v10 Windows.
I would not use v10 yet on something that's important -- only for a testing/hobby site.
Just my thoughts.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Disabled

You can always find good prices in the advertisement forum, where there is always good offers.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM

xenos, thanks for the link, definitely more appealing... will take a better look as soon as I get home... and I'll keep that in mind kpmedia as far as plesk goes.

I've somewhat dismissed SolarVPS... I don't know, maybe I am a bit judgmental... they are running a great promotion on VPS right now, but what turned me off is that I couldn't see the same prices during checkout as advertised in their promotion. I was told on a live chat with them not to worry, and that all the specs as per the special will be applied to my order as well as price.

Now excuse me for being hard, or difficult, but any hosting companies that doesn't have the technical know how on how to properly customize the Plesk CMS they use to show potential customers the bottom line price... and even worse... doesn't see it as enough of a turn off to create their own custom made shopping cart, doesn't really deserve my business.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM

3dgwebhosting, yeah I am just catching on... I was looking for hosting in the wrong forums until I stumbled upon WHT... as Xenos posted, there are some great promotions here that are not even advertised on the host's site.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Disabled

Hey there, for your specs I would suggest a 3 or even 4gb ram and a larger HD. Windows will chew at least 20-30gb itself within a short period and if you are running SQL and any other you dont want to be out of space....that always happens at the most inconvenient time.

website panel is perfectly fine, plesk is good but a beast on resources and very finicky..neat product, hope this helps

most of our clients are now using website panel...works pretty good and free

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Quality Guaranteed..

Well, I'll echo the post above with regards to having 3-4 Gig RAM - however, you can start with 2Gig RAM and upgrade as your requirements increase. Also ensure that you are not hitting a bottleneck with limited upgrade path so that you can grow easily and add/remove resources with ease. With regards to control panel, WebsitePanel performs just about every task and being open source will allow you to spend a bit more on getting a more beefy server.

KVM Linux VPS Enterprise Class Windows VPS Hyper-V Cloud Servers Enterprise Dedicated Servers

Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM

Will look at both companies.. ty!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 AM

softsys, I went ahead and booked a package with your current promotion. I wanted to PM you but I don't think I meet the requirements just yet to PM as I am new to this forum.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Quality Guaranteed..

Thanks, your order is in process and you will receive an email after your server has been provisioned.

KVM Linux VPS Enterprise Class Windows VPS Hyper-V Cloud Servers Enterprise Dedicated Servers

Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM

sounds good thank you vm!