Running PHP4/PHP5 simultaneously could increase load?

Guys,

Did any of you have the same experience of running both PHP4 and PHP5 simultaneously and face much more resource usage and load increase on the server?

I did the same last week on a cPanel server running Apache 2.2 and faced much slow down on it after its compiled through EasyApache. I did it because we are going to provide both nuSOAP(PHP4) and SOAP(PHP5)on that server.

Please share your experience to find out a way to resolve this.

cPanel 11.30 (Release)
    Apache 2.2

Thanks

I haven't seen an increase in load by just having two PHP's in the server.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

well nope .. having a couple versions of PHP certainly do not create any issues on the server. We have been running the same versions and its just working great , so far no issues with server.
    || 24x7CloudServerManagement | Server Management & Technical Support ||
    || Hosting Infrastructure & Customer Service Mangement 24x7 | Cpanel Server Management ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com ||

The best way to explain why the answer to your question is "no it wont increase load" is to explain that it wont increase load; by itself.

Basically having both php4 and php5 by itself wont increase load. What applications you are using for each php version will make the difference. having both just means you have a few extra bytes of data holding php4 in them so that your legacy apps works.

I have done a test on one of our virtual machines which is hosting one heavy website. And after we implemented PHP4, We noticed much more resource usage and load on the server. The interesting part is that the website is using PHP5 (like before)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid Reza View Post
    I have done a test on one of our virtual machines which is hosting one heavy website. And after we implemented PHP4, We noticed much more resource usage and load on the server. The interesting part is that the website is using PHP5 (like before)
    Perhaps it has something to do with how you're set up...

Most of the time people add php5 to a machine with php4 on it... mainly because some things just wont run on php5 that ran on php4. But perhaps because you're actually dropping php4 on a php5 box you're suddenly enabling lots of extra legacy apps that wouldn't have otherwise worked? Tell me if I'm off track but just a consideration that it still make be WHAT you're using it for that's causing the stress, I have never seen just having both enabled on a server cause extra stress by themselves.

using php4 and php5 should not have any impact on load

We have implemented on one of our server from last 8 months and dont see any issues
    Hillock Hosting
    Unlimited Hosting Solution
    Reliable Shared | Reseller| VPS Hosting Services

I configured on windows server only for two versions php but no experience on linux server. No difference on windows.

If you're using suhosin/suphp, then yes, it probably will.
    Then again, you shouldn't be running php4 at ALL at this point in the game. It's been obsolete for years now.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    If you're using suhosin/suphp, then yes, it probably will.
    Then again, you shouldn't be running php4 at ALL at this point in the game. It's been obsolete for years now.
    Yes, I'm using suphp/suhosin on the server. I noticed of a big difference after PHP4 implemented.

Do you have any suggestions to provide SOAP/nuSOAP simultaneously without installing both PHP4/PHP5? Is there any ways to install and integrate two versions of PHP5 on the cPanel server to resolve this?