Legal formalities applicable for new Wordpress theme

Can anyone tell me the legal formalities that one needs to adhere before launching a new Wordpress theme based on WP framework?

Quote Originally Posted by nehajain View Post
    Can anyone tell me the legal formalities that one needs to adhere before launching a new Wordpress theme based on WP framework?
    It's GPL, so if it's anything more than images and CSS, don't whine when people steal it if you're trying to sell it?

When you code your own theme you can make it whatever license you like, you don't have to use GPL. Especially if you designing premium theme that you will sell. Check out wikipedia for most popular software licenses.

Any other legalities other than using GPL licensing?
    What about the plugins that has been used in the theme...any licensing or authorization that are required?

Quote Originally Posted by nehajain View Post
    Any other legalities other than using GPL licensing?
    What about the plugins that has been used in the theme...any licensing or authorization that are required?
    When you're designing something, you have to retain the already available licenses for the products used. If you are going to charge for a theme but it uses free plugins, you are best to just point the customer to where the plugin can be downloaded. If the license differs in some way from the theme and plugin, again, just point the customer where to download the plugin
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

linux-tech..thanks for the helpful reply
    Community..I am still waiting for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by DefinedGravity View Post
    When you code your own theme you can make it whatever license you like, you don't have to use GPL. Especially if you designing premium theme that you will sell. Check out wikipedia for most popular software licenses.
    You can attach whatever license you like to the CSS/images (I think, not sure on that one), but Wordpress's developers ruled a while back that any php you write links Wordpress, and therefore it's required it be GPL.

... and lots of "Premium" theme makers were crying hard because they gave away the images/CSS in the free version of the theme and kept the nifty PHP for the fee'd one.

If you follow the typical "premium" theme developer's M.O. and try to attach a non-GPL-compatible license to PHP sections of the theme, cry moar when someone "steals" it and you can't do anything about it.