* Requirements for Starting VOIP Service

Hello WHT users

Take my greetings

I am planning to lunch my own VOIP business. I want to learn more about VOIP and related things. I have little knowledge about VOIP because I am new with this. Please suggest me what will be required for starting VOIP business like hardware, software etc.... I tend to use 30 concurrent calls. Which provider would be best for dedicated server?

Thank you!

I would like to visit this older post.

The best way to start a VoIP business is really to find a great company to partner with which allows for minimal startup costs. Building your infastructure takes time and money and when that is all said and done (usually never done) you have to go out and get routes. Most carriers will limit your channel capacity also based on your deposited amount, another startup cost. Find a company with a reseller platform that will allow you to resell with a "white label" program. This will be a software that they provide and they will also already have the routes for you to make the calls and set your pricing. It is also a good idea to find out what support options they have for you as well.

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 07-19-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Inorder to start the VOIP business, you need to have the following in your hand.

1. Server with atleast 1 GB RAM. Physical server is recommended.
    2. Asterisk installed, preferably freepbx.
    3. DID numbers, You can purchase it from sites like callcentric.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmart View Post
    Hello WHT users

Take my greetings

I am planning to lunch my own VOIP business. I want to learn more about VOIP and related things. I have little knowledge about VOIP because I am new with this. Please suggest me what will be required for starting VOIP business like hardware, software etc.... I tend to use 30 concurrent calls. Which provider would be best for dedicated server?

Thank you!
    Go and seriously research the market.

There are too many entrants in this industry and its something that i feel will shortly go down like the web hosting market.

After many years in this industry we have established a few home trues.

1. VoIP does not work to end user. Regardless of a bit of testing in real environments it doesn't. We deal with serious companies who use VoIP who want to switch back to ISDN Trunk Lines for quality.
    2. VoIP is good for backend infrastructure.
    3. You need a serious interconnect agreement with a serious company. No small enders trying to make a quick buck.
    4. When Buying Wholesale Voice mintues, Price isnt everything. Quality is.
    5. Stay away from minute exchanges. You cant run a business on this. Simply as you do not know who you are buying from.
    6. Have a serious plan. Dont see it as buy at one rate, sell at another.
    7. Don't run asterisk, freeswitch or what ever. Look into Cisco or Siemens. Personally prefer Siemens Core VoiceSwitchers due to being nice positioned price wise and feature wise.
    8. Make sure you have backups or backups.

Out of curiosity. How did you come to that 30 channel conclusion?

Lets do the mathematics here. 1 port session is = 43,000 minutes. Therefore 30 x 43,000 = 1.3 million minutes/month.

DIDs? Simple. Dont use Exchanges such as DIDWW or DIDX. They are exchange places where companies can sell the numbers on there. Most providers are just resellers and their is no guarantee in quality. Develop agreements with actual in country operators for numbering.

Hope this helps and points you in the correct destination.
    Wholesale Direct International Sip Termination & UK Numbering (DID's/DDI's)
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://aloha-connect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pageshoppe View Post
    Inorder to start the VOIP business, you need to have the following in your hand.

1. Server with atleast 1 GB RAM. Physical server is recommended.
    2. Asterisk installed, preferably freepbx.
    3. DID numbers, You can purchase it from sites like callcentric.
    You don't necessarily need to get into the DID/Trunk part of the business imho. It adds a lot of time and effort to the whole project.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpbx View Post
    You don't necessarily need to get into the DID/Trunk part of the business imho. It adds a lot of time and effort to the whole project.
    Ignore this advice.

Obviously... you will find yourself paying fines and potentially being responsible for deaths before you know it

In many countries, if you are a serious operator, you are by law legally required to provide access to emergency services which means that any outbound call has to have a number presented on the CLI, resulting in not only have access to that number. But all the central ENUM database held in many countries.

This takes serious money and serious time to sort out.

Its a miracle that there is not more regulation in this sector. I miss those days where we had to pay those annual £5k telecom license fees. I wish they would bring them back as there are too many rouges in this industry now. Just the same with the web hosting industry. People need to ask themselves why the likes of 1and1, godaddy, fasthosts, uk2 etc etc actually win the business?
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://aloha-connect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CymraegWalesHosting View Post
    Ignore this advice.

Obviously... you will find yourself paying fines and potentially being responsible for deaths before you know it

In many countries, if you are a serious operator, you are by law legally required to provide access to emergency services which means that any outbound call has to have a number presented on the CLI, resulting in not only have access to that number. But all the central ENUM database held in many countries.

This takes serious money and serious time to sort out.

Its a miracle that there is not more regulation in this sector. I miss those days where we had to pay those annual £5k telecom license fees. I wish they would bring them back as there are too many rouges in this industry now. Just the same with the web hosting industry. People need to ask themselves why the likes of 1and1, godaddy, fasthosts, uk2 etc etc actually win the business?
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me on or if you are disagreeing at all. I am saying that you don't necessarily need to offer trunks. That would obviously mean outbound as well as DID. I only mentioned DID because that is what the person I responded to mentioned. As far as I know there are no laws requiring you to offer trunks if you offer VoIP service such as pbx hosting. Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant.
    Last edited by bccla; 12-01-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpbx View Post
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me on or if you are disagreeing at all. I am saying that you don't necessarily need to offer trunks. That would obviously mean outbound as well as DID. I only mentioned DID because that is what the person I responded to mentioned.
    True, if you go into the trunking business you have to offer DDIs and deal with all the technicals of emergencies services etc etc.

However again, you don't really want to offer DIDs either if there now your own regulatory acquired numbers and hosted on your own network, where you have invested in building your own interconnects onto your network.

At the end of the day. If numbers you sell go down and its not your main network you are relying on, then your in the dark as much as your customer.

I think too many people see this as a second easy income as web hosting. The only difference is. To run your own telecom network it takes serious money, time and dedication as you have to goto the regulator, put a good case in why you need to numbers. Then get the numbers on paper. However means nothing. You then have to persuade all the fixed line/mobile network operators to build those numbers on the numbers and then send the traffic to your network.

On average it takes 3-6 months for mobile operators to build your numbers. There are 2 mobile networks here in the UK we have to wait on average 6 months for them to get the numbers open. Meaning we have to plan 6 -8 months in advance where our customers will have demand usage etc etc....

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmart View Post
    I don't think you have enough experience to *launch* your own VoIP business if you're asking for advise here. Are you going to tell customers that you're reliable or that you're 'new with this'?

Sorry about the harsh response, but it's irresponsible for you to launch a 'business' in order to 'learn'. If you want to learn the technology, spin up a VM on your desktop and learn.

Thanks,
    Dave

You can get dids from the government if your company is registered
    For example here in canada if you are registered with the crtc and you follow their rules then you can apply to get did numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 14host View Post
    You can get dids from the government if your company is registered
    For example here in canada if you are registered with the crtc and you follow their rules then you can apply to get did numbers
    If thats only the case.... Thats the easy bit... Then you have to get yourself in with a major carrier... then instruct all other operators (like fixed landline/mobile operators) to send their traffic to your numbers on those interconnects... That is if you don't have to pay/negotiate with the other operators to open up your ranges.

We've done it in the UK and about to start doing in several other countries. It takes serious money, time and persistence... especially as a new company.

Cymraeg:

Please elaborate. While this may not be for hobbiests, the internet is all about sharing information. You mentioned getting DIDs, then getting in with a major carrier, and then have other operators send traffic to your numbers.

I find this all interesting, and as such would like to know more about it.

Hi,

Starting a VoIP business isn't really that hard if you really know and focus on your target market.

For example if you are targeting Residential Consumers in your area and want to offer ala Vonage, here's an easy way to set it up. *note CHECK YOUR COUNTRY'S LAWS AND REGULATION FIRST ABOUT VOIP.

1) Check if your local ISP if they allow colocation. If yes, Depending on your target subscribers turn up an a2billing server, host it on the colo, get the minutes from various VoIP provider company that offers per minute charging (vitelity, flowroute,gafachi), you can also purchase Inbound numbers from them. Once you configure your a2billing for your VoIP carriers and plans, you can now start selling VoIP service.

High Volume traffic and other premium VoIP stuff is way such as dialer termination, is another level too. But once you get your feet wet on residential traffic, the barrier of Enterprise VoIP service will be easier.

Of course don't forget to check out VoIP-info.org website. It's a goldmine for VoIP.
    Core Incorporated. An Open Source Telephony Consulting Company. - Call Center Technology Consulting. VoIP wholesale, Hosted and Premise Based VICIDIAL Open Source Predictive Dialer, Open Source Telephony Consulting, Call Center Technology Consulting.
    -- Coming soon! --
    Pay as you go Voice Blast/Broadcast service! Only pay for the VoIP minutes you consumed.

The discussion is very interesting and I agree that you can't just start a voip business just installig an asterisk instance on a linux box (or a ready to distribution).
    In my experience you need years to really understand all the voice market aspect (included the regulatory laws). Just to came to the conclusion that to survive in this business you need to make some millions/minutes/months :-)

BTW the Op disapparead...

Jimmy you probably are looking to own your own system. Have you considered trying to resell a hosted solution first?