How do - backup?

hi

how do companies like webbycart and other backup places give you backup space? what do you get? a VPS or something but how do they limit it to rsync?

thanks

They probably have their own servers, and back all of your files on to it. It is rather simple. Check out r1soft

You will generally get a storage account that won't just limit you to rsync, things such as FTP,SSH will all be available.
    James Chillman -UK Backup Limited
    www.ukbackup.com- Online Backup Offsite Backup, Backup Software

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesc View Post
    You will generally get a storage account that won't just limit you to rsync, things such as FTP,SSH will all be available.
    hi

thanks for that, what exactly is a storage account? what would be the difference between a storage account and say a vps? i guess you dont get an ip? do you limit a storage account so you can only do certain ssh commands? because otherwise it could just be setup as a http server?

sorry for the question i just dont know what the difference is between the too

Quote Originally Posted by guyneedshelp View Post
    how do companies like webbycart and other backup places give you backup space? what do you get? a VPS or something but how do they limit it to rsync?
    BQBackup does it by setting up large storage servers (50-75TB each), and then giving users accounts on those servers. It's not limited to Rsync, but that's what most people use. There's some secret sauce to keep things running smoothly, but the basic concept is pretty simple.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    BQBackup does it by setting up large storage servers (50-75TB each), and then giving users accounts on those servers. It's not limited to Rsync, but that's what most people use. There's some secret sauce to keep things running smoothly, but the basic concept is pretty simple.
    hi

i see now so it isnt split into vpss its just accounts which you limit on the server?

thanks for the answer.

i see now so it isnt split into vpss its just accounts which you limit on the server?
    Basically, yes. We set a disk quota to limit usage.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

hi

thanks for the answer.
    Exactly, Be careful as there are some providers around (on this forum included) That will offer backup accounts that are actually just a completely unmanaged VPS. These are completely different and obviously would require you to manage the VPS as you would with any web server to keep it secure.
    James Chillman -UK Backup Limited
    www.ukbackup.com- Online Backup Offsite Backup, Backup Software

How do they do it? Easy. There are networks out there designed specifically for backups (not hosting, really) that keep everything affordable and almost too cheap.

Using cPanel, you can easily backup to a host on these networks, OR you can throw in rsync and have it done.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons