Periodic 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

Hello.

I'm having problems with periodic 503 error pages and I'd really appreciate some pointers as to what could be the problem.

I have an unusual setup but basically I currently use a VPS as a proxy server so that I can provide unique IPs to a range of websites that must reside on individual IPs.

The VPS is therefor just acting as a proxy. It receives requests from the client, then queries our main server using the Apache Proxy module and returns the request the client. This setup hides our main server IP from the client and each website has it's own IP.

The setup seems to work great, but I keep getting a 503 error page periodically. These 503s seem to appear in the morning (about 9:00 AM GMT). I have no idea what is causing them. I recently upgraded the server in case it was a resource issue, but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything. I've obviously been in touch with the server host's support but they don't seem to have the knowledge to find and fix this error.

The current set up I'm using for the proxy server (VPS) is:

8-Core Intel Xeon CPUs:
    768 MB Dedicated RAM
    2048 MB Burstable RAM
    100 Mbps Port Speed

Those details are a bit vague, but it's all I have at the moment.

I'm thinking that the cause must lie in the VPS configuration or the VPS itself. It's nothing to do with the main server as that remains online during the periodic downtimes.

There really isn't much going on inside the VPS. All I've done is set up a bunch of domains using WHM, added a few add-on domains via CPanel, and then modified the main Apache configuration file so that any request to a WHM user's directory is automatically proxied to our main server.

Looking forward to your replies!

Thanks,

Karl

Do you have Mod Security installed by chance? It might be mod_sec issuing the 503 if something on your site matches the rules.

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't find a straight forward way to check if the module is installed so I had a look around and I do have the plugin installed in WHM but it doesn't seem to be configured. However, I think the problem might be deeper than Mod Security, I recently realised that the VPS is unavailable during the downtime, I can't even connect through SSH.