Thread: Vitamins

Vitamins

Here's a question for you: do you take vitamins? If so, what kind do you take?

I take these One a Day vitamins but I think it's safe to say that I prefer the Flintstones vitamins!

I'm pretty big into physical fitness and nutrition as I played a collegiate sport and take Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men. The daily dosage I believe calls for 2 vitamins, however, I feel it is sufficient to take one pill daily.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

I'm really into natural food sources for nutrition. They will provide enzymes for proper assimilation. I've heard that most vitamins pass right through with out really giving you what you need. But, I can never knock Flinstone Vitamins. I wish I had those gummy bear vitamins growing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn - Limestone View Post
    I've heard that most vitamins pass right through with out really giving you what you need.
    Excessive portions are expelled through your fecal matter, yes. However, you absorb the quantities your body requires in order to not overdose on the individual daily %'s the vitamin has to offer. They build additional daily values into the vitamins in order to help people with significant deficiencies because they know the body will expel excess supplements.

Same with natural foods. If you receive (this is an example) 50g of protein in a steak dinner and your body only requires an additional 5g from that dinner, 45g of the protein will be expelled. Thus, creating the same situation as a daily vitamin which encompasses numerous vitamins and minerals in each tablet versus a limited amount in each natural product. Granted your body can only breakdown and consume portions of a vitamin at a time, which is why some recommend to take half a pill in the am and half in the pm to ensure your body is receiving the full value of nutrients from the vitamin.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Same with natural foods. If you receive (this is an example) 50g of protein in a steak dinner and your body only requires an additional 5g from that dinner, 45g of the protein will be expelled. Thus, creating the same situation as a daily vitamin which encompasses numerous vitamins and minerals in each tablet versus a limited amount in each natural product.
    Really? Is this true?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Really? Is this true?
    Yes, your body can only handle so much and will not be able to breakdown anymore and use it as a "protein". Your body uses enzymes to break down polymeric macromolecules into their smaller building blocks, in order to facilitate their absorption by the body. The enzyme can only handle so many macromolecules in a serving.
    Doug

Taking Clusivol Multi-Vitamins - 1 cap per day.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Yes, your body can only handle so much and will not be able to breakdown anymore and use it as a "protein".
    That's nice to know

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    That's nice to know
    Indeed it is.
    Doug

However, you absorb the quantities your body requires in order to not overdose on the individual daily %'s the vitamin has to offer. They build additional daily values into the vitamins in order to help people with significant deficiencies because they know the body will expel excess supplements.
    Makes complete sense! Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just a little reserved about pills. I love natural medicine. I've just gotten into it in the last couple of years.

I also prefer natural sources, especially fruits: oranges, apples, bananas, etc. I am especially after the fiber from those fruits/veggies. Recently though, I just buy those ready to drink minimally-flavored-water+vitamins for hydration and supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn - Limestone View Post
    Makes complete sense! Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just a little reserved about pills. I love natural medicine. I've just gotten into it in the last couple of years.
    Nothing bad comes from them They just aren't as diversified as a vitamin. However, they're still all natural! I eat a lot of natural products as well ... but I also take a vitamin.
    Doug

i occasionally take supradyn - a multi vitamin.

Same with natural foods. If you receive (this is an example) 50g of protein in a steak dinner and your body only requires an additional 5g from that dinner, 45g of the protein will be expelled. Thus, creating the same situation as a daily vitamin which encompasses numerous vitamins and minerals in each tablet versus a limited amount in each natural product. Granted your body can only breakdown and consume portions of a vitamin at a time, which is why some recommend to take half a pill in the am and half in the pm to ensure your body is receiving the full value of nutrients from the vitamin.
    Although this concept does make sense, I am not exactly sure if I agree with this in its entirety.

When a protein is digested, it breaks down into peptides, which eventually become amino acids. Once the amino acids enter the blood stream, they are used to build some of the body's stores of protein. When these stores are not used, they will convert into fats and sugars and will store accordingly.

In terms of vitamins, I believe this to be entirely true. I personally contribute this to the way vitamins are manufactured (most of the mass-produced multi-vitamins that we purchase in super markets) - since most of the digestive enzymes and juices deteriorate their nutritional value.

Anyhow, yes, I do take several vitamin supplements along with an omega-3/fish oil tablet.

I take Omega3 and blue algae tablets thingy at every morning

I take a multivitamin (Centrum Performance) every day, but I don't pretend that it's a substitute for eating right. It's just a backup.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I just recently started taking vitamins (about a month ago), I take A, C, D and E, while also trying to eat well. And to my surprise, I do feel healthier with more energy. You just have to be careful and do your DD, because believe it or not, to much of certain vitamins is bad for you (every person is different).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    I take a multivitamin (Centrum Performance) every day, but I don't pretend that it's a substitute for eating right. It's just a backup.
    I totally agree with this mentality. It blows my mind that people eat horrible throughout the week, and still come to the conclusion that they're healthy because they take a multivitamin.

On I daily basis I take:

Multi Vitamins
    Cod Liver Oil
    Milk Thistle
    Creatine
    ZMA

Although I have a decent diet however taking a daily dose of Multi Vitamin isnt going to cause much damage when you have a good active lifestyle, etc

I take multivitamins and protein powder as well cause I lift weights. I don't think my diet is enough to supply me with vitamins so I supplement my body daily.

Quote Originally Posted by neutro View Post
    I take multivitamins and protein powder as well cause I lift weights. I don't think my diet is enough to supply me with vitamins so I supplement my body daily.
    What sort of protein powder do you take? I supplement with an all natural Whey Isolate.

I totally agree with this mentality. It blows my mind that people eat horrible throughout the week, and still come to the conclusion that they're healthy because they take a multivitamin.
    A friend of mine who is a fitness trainer told me that he once spoke with a potential client that said "well, I eat fast food throughout the day, but I eat 6-7 banana's before bed so it evens out" - I am AMAZED at people's lack of education. IMO, lack of education is the biggest contributor to health problems in America.

I take vitamin D everyday and N.O. Xplode on days I am going to the gym.

I've only taken the One A Day multi-vitamins, and I like the gummy bears, or any kind of chewable gummy. It tastes like candy but it's healthy.