Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Godaddy to sell for 2billion? [merged]

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-n..._for_2_Billion

Anyone see this today?

(WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Web hosting provider and domain registrar Go Daddy (www.godaddy.com) is close to being acquired by private equity firms KKR & Co (www.kkr.com) and Silver Lake Partners (www.silverlake.com) for between $2 billion and $2.5 billion, according to several reports on Friday.

At this point, the deal has not been confirmed by either party. Reports on the Wall Street Journal and Reuters say a source close to the matter has said the deal could close as early as next week.

Go Daddy initially shopped around for buyers in September 2010, but Bloomberg says the company was looking for a higher evaluation. In September the number sat around $1 billion.

Bloomberg says that the company is an attractive buy because its primary customer base is small businesses, a market that has seen tremendous growth in the past few years.

Go Daddy is arguably the most well-known Web hosting company outside of the industry, as its wide-reaching marketing campaigns anchored by flashy Superbowl commercials and spokeswomen including racecar driver Danica Patrick and personal trainer Jillian Michaels of Biggest Loser fame.

Recently, reports surfaced that say Go Daddy is set to launch its cloud computing service in July. This move could increase its customer base even more as consumers look for ways to implement cloud infrastructures for their small businesses.

If this deal went through, it would be the largest acquisition of a Web hosting provider.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

I can't say I'm surprised that it would go for $2B myself.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Interesting!

I wonder if they will keep Bob Parsons and gang? Or will the new buyers bring in their own management team?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Interesting!

I wonder if they will keep Bob Parsons and gang? Or will the new buyers bring in their own management team?
    They seem to be financial companies, I doubt they'll bring in their own management.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

I found it kinda interesting and possibly good for a volatile and competitive market that may benefit from the gross over valuation.. or not

Perhaps other investors will start taking a more serious look at this market again. Commodity or not.

I think the most compelling and sellable aspect of GD is the brand they have built. I'd find it pretty hard to believe there are 2 to 2.5 billion worth of assets in what amounts to a pretty low end customer base.

But, there's more to be sold to that base. So I guess we'll see.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Interesting!

for $2b he's probably looking at a nice retirement at his age.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quite some price for a hosting company.

Quote Originally Posted by aselmani View Post
    Quite some price for a hosting company.
    Well they really marketed more than anyone else out there with sponsoring quasi celebrity danica patrick and the superbowl commercials.
    Doug

Quite a sale. The intellectual property they hold is pretty substantial when considering the pricing. They have so much share of the entire domain market between their companies, resellers, affiliates, etc. Seems to be a pretty unsurprising price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    for $2b he's probably looking at a nice retirement at his age.
    Would be but he won't walk away with anywhere near that number.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Quote Originally Posted by ServerOrigin View Post
    Would be but he won't walk away with anywhere near that number.

No but i'm sure his severance package will be several millions and millions of dollars on top of what he already owns. =]
    Doug

No but i'm sure his severance package will be several millions and millions of dollars on top of what he already owns. =]
    I am willing to be he won't be giving up 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I am willing to be he won't be giving up 100%.
    I'm sure he'll stay in the game for a bit longer myself .. but if he wanted to walk away i'm sure he's got more than enough to cover his expenses.
    Doug

Being that the buyer appears to be the same group that owns Endurance International, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

They are a major buyout firms
    Doug

They are a major buyout firms
    Kind of scary actually. Bad management could lead to disastrous things for GoDaddy users. Registerfly anyone?
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

at last. no surprise. they have been inflating the company since their founding. someone had had mentioned they never turned a profit ever. all was selling cheap hosting/domains to inflate the value of the company. no wonder it was the pre .com bubble business model. start it, inflate it, sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    at last. no surprise. they have been inflating the company since their founding. someone had had mentioned they never turned a profit ever. all was selling cheap hosting/domains to inflate the value of the company. no wonder it was the pre .com bubble business model. start it, inflate it, sell it.
    What is with your negative outlook on every company in the world. If it sells for 2 billion dollars that means someone thinks its worth that..and if Parson's gets paid (or his company) 2b for it then that's REAL.

Stop being a pessimist. Be cheerful pal!
    Doug

What is with your negative outlook on every company in the world. If it sells for 2 billion dollars that means someone thinks its worth that..and if Parson's gets paid (or his company) 2b for it then that's REAL.

Stop being a pessimist. Be cheerful pal!
    http://247wallst.com/2010/09/11/goda...y-is-godawful/

Hm which made me to wonder: anybody actually made a profit here? If the elephant could not, how can the ants be?
    |ーWe are all born to this world To meet a certain person; it must be soー|

You mean like how Pandora Online Music sold above valuation when it went IPO a few weeks back, even though it never made profit for the past 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asuka View Post
    Hm which made me to wonder: anybody actually made a profit here? If the elephant could not, how can the ants be?
    that elephant's (godaddy) business model was never built on profit apparently.

along with a lot of other companies during late stages of .com boom, the business plan was apparently to start something, inflate its value, and sell it.

that's why they were selling dirt cheap hosting probably, and never making a profit.

they drew hosting prices to rock bottom for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hellind2 View Post
    You mean like how Pandora Online Music sold above valuation when it went IPO a few weeks back, even though it never made profit for the past 10 years?
    precisely.

Personally, I think this might mark the beginning of the end for Godaddy. I read an interesting article awhile ago about how the actual gross earning for godaddy were great, the profits were not (from what I understood it looked like godaddy was actually loosing money)? Im guessing more than ever the new owners will make turning a profit their #1 priority, which usually does go to well for a companies customers.

Just my two cents though, either way, Im curious to see how this all plays out
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

GoDaddy for sale?

Just read this article: http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-n...osting+News%29

Apparently they may sell for as much as $2,500,000,000.

"If this deal went through, it would be the largest acquisition of a Web hosting provider."

Thoughts?
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

I don't think it will get sold, or its just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazapi-Curtis View Post
    Just read this article: http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-n...osting+News%29

Apparently they may sell for as much as $2,500,000,000.

"If this deal went through, it would be the largest acquisition of a Web hosting provider."

Thoughts?
    The sale price seems fair considering their estimated annual revenue for the company was US $750 - US $800 million last year. Also, if my memory serves me right in 2010 there were talks that GoDaddy was to sell for 1 billion. It looks like the stakes have now doubled .

I know bob parsons started his own chopper store in Arizona which is also booming. Perhaps it's time for a new challenge? After being in the industry for so long he may want to take on new challenges and make it his mandate to become number one in the custom chopper business in terms of revenue.

No one really knows but I am certain that 2 - 2.5 billion would seal the deal for many people.
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast