Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to access filezilla in vps server

Hi guys, i ordered vps from hetzner some days ago with webmin,mysql,apache etc allready installed on the server.Also an ftp server has been installed called proftpd.
    Is there a way to use my filezilla software on my computer to work with the login details of my webmin. Or do i need to upload the filezilla server software to my server first before i can use this.
    Or do i need to do something in ssh before i can use filezilla.
    Any help appreciated.thanks

try software name "winscp"
    u will entering ur root password on winscp and this is like filezilaa
    Fast Host Online Hosting, Domain, VPS, Dedicated Server
    OpenVZ, Xen, And WIndows VPS
    http://www.fasthostonline.co.id

ProFTPD is the FTP server so you don't need to install a different FTP server. I don't even think FileZilla server works on linux.

I'm not sure if Webmin automatically creates any FTP accounts so you may need to simply create them, then log in using FileZilla.

I would actually suggest you to ditch FTP all together and use SFTP. FileZilla supports this and it's much more secure than FTP.

@fasthostonline: I can't find winscp software you mentioned. I tried to look in software packages but nothing.Where should i look in webmin?

@wickedfactor: Can you check for me if filezilla works in linux server, that would be great.

So i need to create ftp accounts?How do i do that?Please explain in details, because root login details does not work.After creating accounts can i just use the login details from the created accounts into the filezilla desktop software.

Proftpd is way too complicated compared to filezilla. I don't even know what to do there.

Guys, thanks for your fast reply.

Hi, i found this at wiki. hetzner. de/index. php/KonsoleH:Zugriff_per_FTP#Ein_eigenes_Passwort_w.C3.A4hlen.
    But i cant find how to create my own ftp login.Anybody any ideas how to do this with filezilla working with webmin.

Try creating a normal user in webmin. You should be able to login via FTP to your VPS afterwards. Its normal to disable root logins via FTP so that could explain why your root login failed.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

@scientist:

First of all thanks for your help.

I created new username but with same password as root.

This is what i get when i use sftp in filezilla desktop client:

Command: open "[email protected]" 10000
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Could not connect to server

I can get in webmin with the new username but still not in filezilla.So if i am right i don't need to install filezilla on server right?If its on my computer its fine.But why doesnt filezilla connect to my server?
    any help guys

By any chance, are you running a firewall? I have Configserver firewall and had to open the ports on its configuration and on the configuration of my FTP server.

Ftp is port 21 not 10000.

If you select SFTP in FIleZilla you should be able to use the SSH credentials to login, just make sure you get the right port etc.

@ jaypeesmith. You mean a firewall on my computer?Yes i use windows 7 built in firewall. What should i do with my firewall?

@ scientist. Yes i used sftp with port 10000 but even if i use ftp with port 21 it doesn't work.
    I was checking the log and i got this every time i try to use ftp with port 21:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.3a Server (Debian) [::ffff:xx.xx.xxx.xx]
    Command: USER mitdrissia
    Response: 331 Password required for mitdrissia
    Command: PASS ***********
    Response: 530 Login incorrect.
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

@abat
    For sftp i use port 10000 right?
    I only got the following info:
    https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10000
    sftp
    IP-Address: xx.xx.xxx.xx
    Login: root
    Password: xxxxxxxx

and this:

Following you will find the access details for your
    webinterface Robot.

URL: https://robot.your-server.de

I also got this from them:

FTP is not activated so you have to start FTP deamon.
    Webmin is running and you login with the data below.
    https://xx.xx.xxx.xx:10000

Nowhere is ftp deamon to be found.

I found ssh2 credentials somewhere but still nothing.In the beginning I could not log in webmin so they resetted the password, will it automatically also reset ssh 2 details?

I tried everything. Nothing works.Someone any ideas?

I also got this with my reset login credentials but did not understand:
    > e.g. ssh login:
    >
    > ===snip===
    > $: ssh [email protected]
    > ===snap===
    >

First add a new virtual server to the server ex. Xyz.com in virtualmin. Here your details will be as follows

Server name : Xx.xx.xx.xx
    User : xyz
    Pwd : password

@ zahirweb. I only have webmin. How do i add a virtual server?please explain all in details.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitdrissia View Post
    @ zahirweb. I only have webmin. How do i add a virtual server?please explain all in details.
    thanks
    Some people install the Virtualmin plug-in to manage their virtual hosts, but it really sucks. You need a *real* control panel if you will be managing more than a couple of domains.

Give Kloxo a try.

@ jaypeesmith. You mean a firewall on my computer?Yes i use windows 7 built in firewall. What should i do with my firewall?
    No, let me rephrase the question. Is there a firewall running on your VPS? I had to modify the firewall rules and the configuration of my FTP server on my VPS to allow for access from my local FTP client. I was wondering if, perhaps, you have a firewall rule on your server that's blocking the ports you'll need to get through via your FTP client.

@jaypeesmith : firewall on vps is set to allow all connections.

@ajonate : well i will use what i have and thats webmin.If i see its not working fine for me i will switch to kloxo. Yes, i heard it has easy user interface.

Host told me ftp is preinstalled but it needs to be configured.I am not sure if they are talking about filezilla, ftpproD or ftp daemon.
    They told me i can use ftp and cpanel as i could use like in shared hosting.Too bad its more difficult then i thought.
    Do you think guys by resetting my root password the ssh password also changed?Or shall i just download putty and put in the ssh password to see if all works fine?

any thoughts?
    I tried many options, none work so far.
    Still thanks for all the help guys. Anyone?

Well i tried to use puttys litte brother psftp.exe. When i put in the following command: [email protected] i get the following:
    [email protected]'s password: but for some reason i can't put in the password.It just hangs there.
    I will try to use putty now and see what it comes up with.
    I am getting a little frustated at the moment.

I tried putty, same problem..When it asks for login i put in "root" then it asks me for password, but for some reason i can't type in anything.Any help?
    I just want to see if the ssh2 login is ok or if it has been reset also.
    Last edited by mitdrissia; 06-18-2011 at 03:30 AM.

EDIT:
    I found out that password need to be typed in even if it looks like you are typing nothing.
    I first used the ssh login details.It didn't work.After that i used the root password and it worked.
    I can get in putty. So this is also ftp login?What can i do with putty?
    How come i can't connect to filezilla then?Do i need to configure something before i can start using filezilla?
    please any help appreciated.
    thanks

Yes, i did it guys.
    It was very simple.
    I just put in sftp://ipaddress in hostname and root as username and my password that worked in putty and for port i used port 22.
    Strange because i did this before but it did not work.The only difference was i used the site manager and not the quick connect and i did not use sftp://

thanks for any help.

Where do i put in all my files, in which folder?

Mitdrissia, you badly need a managed VPS, you are in way over your head.

Your files go in /var/www.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    Mitdrissia, you badly need a managed VPS, you are in way over your head.

Your files go in /var/www.
    I agree. It sounds to me like you're doing the "trial by fire" approach. At the very least, get a good book on Linux server administration.

Yes, i did it guys.
    It was very simple.
    I just put in sftp://ipaddress in hostname and root as username and my password that worked in putty and for port i used port 22.
    Strange because i did this before but it did not work.The only difference was i used the site manager and not the quick connect and i did not use sftp://

thanks for any help.

Where do i put in all my files, in which folder?
    I wrote an illustrated guide for configuring a Linux server for hosting, written with people new to Linux server administration in mind. You are welcome to take a look at it.

http://entomy.com/VPS-Server-Configuration-Guide.pdf

That covers what you need to do.

My suggestion would be O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell". Preferably, you'd have read it before getting an unmanaged VPS.

There are all kind of other things to worry about, like how to protect your server from hackers, keep everything updated, schedule backups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    There are all kind of other things to worry about, like how to protect your server from hackers, keep everything updated, schedule backups, etc.
    I cover security & updates in the guide.

Virtualmins great actually, yes its used to manage virtual servers. You can download it to your server via ssh using wget. Instructions are on their site.

As for your files,for centos running webmin, your files would normally be under /home/domain/public_html

Use Kloxo, Its way better then Webmin and it would automatically create your FTP account and then you can simply upload LiveZilla.

Quote Originally Posted by abdullahrafiq View Post
    Use Kloxo, Its way better then Webmin and it would automatically create your FTP account and then you can simply upload LiveZilla.
    I agree. Kloxo is head & shoulders better than Webmin with the Virtualmin plug-in. I can't imagine running a hosting service with Virtualmin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Webmin for Linux administration & configuration. I use it all the time. But it's hosting control panel capabilities aren't ready for prime time.

@ajonate thanks for the link.I will definately use it. Guys, i am here to learn.

The only thing for now is transfer the files and then change dns. I first want to learn the basics and from there i learn more and more every day by asking or reading.
    I hope its not a problem for you guys.
    thanks for all the information.

yes i have heard about kloxo.I will try to upload it to my server if i can manage to and then i will have a look at it.
    Last edited by mitdrissia; 06-19-2011 at 03:39 AM.

yes i have heard about kloxo.I will try to upload it to my server if i can manage to and then i will have a look at it.
    Kloxo will resolve all the problems you've been having.

Ok, i m still in learning stage as you allready know.
    If i put the files in var/www how can i add/edit dns servername?Do i really need to download Bind for webmin or can i just go to domain registrar and change the dns there?Do i need to add ns1.ipaddress and ns2.ipaddress.
    Also how can i add more then website on the vps server?Is 1 ip enough for multiple domain names?
    Help would be much appreciated.

Do you have to use Filezilla? Most other FTP clients will work with the CSF firewall running. For some reason Filezilla won't work. If you open all the ports and Filezilla uses one of the open ports then it will work. For instance I opened port 1100 and forced Filezilla to use port 1100 and it worked fine. The problem is that Filezilla uses port 21 to connect but another higher port for things like the directory listing command. If you don't force a single port or series of ports on the Filezilla client and open those ports on CSF then Filezilla won't work. Filezilla chooses a different higher port each time you try and connect.

I set my FTP server to serve up SFTP and then I used the apps Paegent and PuttyGen. Then put the key into Filezilla and you will be able to get in using SFTP.

You can find the instructions here:
    http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Howto

But really I found it easier to find an app like FireFTP for FireFox browser or CuteFTP to work with the CSF firewall. Also, make sure you always have the latest versions of your client as earlier versions of some clients don't work with the CSF firewall enabled.

Or you can just open all of the PFTP specified ports on your firewall and use PFTP but I don't recommend this.

Ok, i m still in learning stage as you allready know.
    If i put the files in var/www how can i add/edit dns servername?Do i really need to download Bind for webmin or can i just go to domain registrar and change the dns there?Do i need to add ns1.ipaddress and ns2.ipaddress.
    Also how can i add more then website on the vps server?Is 1 ip enough for multiple domain names?
    Help would be much appreciated.
    1) You can host any number of domains at a single IP address. Shared hosting is very common and it's not unusual to see hundreds of domains at a single IP address.

2) You can add domains manually, but it's a lot easier to use a hosting control panel to do it. With the number of questions you are asking I think you should use a hosting control panel. I use a control panel and wouldn't have it any other way.

3) You will need to have a DNS server with your domain info. If your registrar offers that DNS service then fine. Otherwise, you will need to install BIND and run your own. Again, a hosting control panel is the only way to go for that.

4) You will add ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.youdomain.com in the "Host Summary" at Godaddy.com (some registrars call it something else) to tell the world where your DNS server is. You will associate ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.youdomain.com with the IP address(es) of your DNS server.

5) You will add your web content to /var/www if you have a single domain. If you have additional domains the locations will vary by the method used to create the domains in Apache. When people do it manually they usually are in /var/www/newdomain.com, and if a control panel does it they are usually in /home/accountname/newdomain.com.

The DNS server only tells the world what IP address your website is located at, but it's up to Apache to present the right page to visitors.

This is the old servername data, domain name is from dutch registrar helderhosting and the ns1 and ns2 are from the old hoster godaddy.
    maroclife.nl. 3600 IN NS ns02.domaincontrol.com.
    maroclife.nl. 3600 IN NS ns01.domaincontrol.com.

Now to which ns do i need to change it at helderhosting. My new vps hoster hetzner only gave me one ip and nothing else.
    please explain
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DaKine View Post
    Do you have to use Filezilla? Most other FTP clients will work with the CSF firewall running. For some reason Filezilla won't work. If you open all the ports and Filezilla uses one of the open ports then it will work. For instance I opened port 1100 and forced Filezilla to use port 1100 and it worked fine. The problem is that Filezilla uses port 21 to connect but another higher port for things like the directory listing command. If you don't force a single port or series of ports on the Filezilla client and open those ports on CSF then Filezilla won't work. Filezilla chooses a different higher port each time you try and connect.
    Filezilla does indeed work with CSF. I'm running it, now. The issue is that the "higher" port range you open up in CSF, for example 30000:35000 has to be set in the in configuration for the FTP server on you VPS, as well.

For example, Pure-FTPD has a setting in the /etc/pure-ftpd.conf file (location on CentOS) called PassivePortRange (ProFTPD has a similar setting). If you consider my example range above, you would set this to say:

PassivePortRange 30000 35000

You would then restart the FTP process on your server. After that, you should be able to connect with FileZilla.

@yaypeesmith: I allready got connected to filezilla, thanks for that.Please scroll up then you will see how i did it.

Now to which ns do i need to change it at helderhosting. My new vps hoster hetzner only gave me one ip and nothing else.
    please explain
    thank you

Now i need help with assigning dns name to ip address.

This is the old servername data, domain name is from dutch registrar helderhosting and the ns1 and ns2 are from the old hoster godaddy.

please explain
    thank you
    Can i just go to my domain registrar and change dns servername to one of the following i found(hetzner.de servernames):
    ns1.your-server.de (IP address: 213.133.106.251)
    ns.second-ns.com (IP address: 213.239.204.242)
    ns3.second-ns.de (IP Address: 193.47.99.4)
    I do need to assign 2 nameserver, so i can choose any 2 of the 3.will this be enough or do i need to do something else?

Hi guys, i ordered vps from hetzner some days ago with webmin,mysql,apache etc allready installed on the server.Also an ftp server has been installed called proftpd.
    Is there a way to use my filezilla software on my computer to work with the login details of my webmin. Or do i need to upload the filezilla server software to my server first before i can use this.
    Or do i need to do something in ssh before i can use filezilla.
    Any help appreciated.thanks
    Do you have a GUI access to your server ? If yes, Then you can install FTP server from Add/Remove option.
    LowVm - Cheap Windows & Linux VPS
    Xen Windows VPS & Linux VPS Provider
    I was born Intelligent but Education ruined me

Guys, as i mentioned before the ftp access is working now.I got access through filezilla ftp client.
    I am now trying to transfer domain from old hoster to new one by editing dns name server. It's more difficult then i thought.Any help appreciated.

please explain
    thank you
    You should point your ns1 & ns2 addresses at your registrar to the location of the DNS server that has your domain's zone info. If you are doing that with BIND at your VPS, then use your VPS IP address for both ns1 and ns2. If you are using another DNS server then use the IP address(es) of that DNS server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast