XP Pro Crashed when I open a folder

Hi Everyone,

I have been all day on this problem I cannot find out what is suddently happening to my pc.

I have winxp pro 64 bit, 8 gigs of Ram.

When I open a folder on an external drive, or a folder anywhere else on the pc(desktop,my computer) I sometime get a crash, the full desktop dissapear and I have to relaunch explorer.exe by using the command "explorer.exe" in the task manager.

I have been in the even vierwer and cannot only see this:

Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.3790.3959, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x0000000000000000.

Is there anywhere on the windows xp operating system a crash log better than that?

Thank you,

Ben

most likely the drive has bad sectors (damaged) run a chkdsk to find out (note depending how large the disc are this can take several hours)

what hapens if you open command prompt and cd to it and 'dir'?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I have already checked for bad sector, everything is ok.
    Regarding the command prompt, this is happening pretty much in any folders, I can cd or dir without problem, it is only happening in the GUI of Windows.

Thank you,

Ben

Sounds like a worm/trojan/virus latched onto explorer.exe which is very common. W32/Conficker is circulating a lot at the moment and can cause symptoms like this.

Do you have decent up to date antivirus software, and when is the last time you did a full scan?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply,

I have ran Malwarebyte full scan, avast full scan and spybot latest version, they have found thing......I am really struggling.

Ben

Checked your ram? memtest86+.

I assume your folder view is set for thumbnails. Would you be able to set this to tile or list?

Also, boot into safemode, if the folders still crash then it is an OS related issue and not software related. I know some software can cause this.
    Last edited by techjr; 06-17-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Thank you,

The ram is fine, same problem when running on 2 gigs only.
    I will boot in safe mode and see, right now I am installing comodo antivirus, it might be better than avast...no idea.

One thing I have found is this:
    Event ID 1103
    .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64) - Tried to start a service that wasn't the latest version of CLR Optimization service. Will shutdown

Event ID 1060:
    \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\Drivers\uphcleanhlp.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

event 10016:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinou View Post
    Thank you,

The ram is fine, same problem when running on 2 gigs only.
    I will boot in safe mode and see, right now I am installing comodo antivirus, it might be better than avast...no idea.

One thing I have found is this:
    Event ID 1103
    .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64) - Tried to start a service that wasn't the latest version of CLR Optimization service. Will shutdown

Event ID 1060:
    \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\Drivers\uphcleanhlp.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

event 10016:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Any update on this? Did safe mode stop the crashing and then resume crashing when booted normally?

Also for the first error http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ervice&phase=1 may help although I would advise further research before trying it.

For error 10016 do you mind going into regedit and looking up 555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7 and then taking a screen shot of it and posting back? I have fixed this error before but there are multiple pieces of software that actually cause this error and is an easy fix.

Thanks for your help,

Actually I have found the problem! After hours and hours of looking around here is the solution:

The file uph was not compatible with a 64 bit operatiing system, I have to upgrade it to a beta version released years ago.

Everything works fine now :-)

Thank you,

Ben