Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321

    Lightbulb "Applies to new clients only"

    coupons, discounts, promos, this that ...

    "applies to new clients only"

    ........

    why ?

    are existing/longtime clients morons or idiots ? where is their bonus ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    70
    I would like to think that no host would ever consider existing members "morons or idiots" as without them, they wouldn't be in business and would instead have a separate promotion for them that might better suit their needs.

    When doing promotions most companies are simply trying to generate hype to bring on new clients to add to their current client base and for that reason they may make those types of stipulations.

    A good example might be when buying a new car. If I bought one last month, and this month they are offering a discount on the same car I bought previously, I am sure I wouldnt be able to take advantage of that unless getting a new car myself. However, I would probably get some sort of coupon offering me discounts on services or parts in the future (simply using this example as it happened to me recently).

    If you have any questions about it, I would definitely reach out to your host to see what types of offerings and/or additional discounts they may be able to provide you for being a loyal customer.
    | Alex Font | HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters
    | Data Centers in USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    coupons, discounts, promos, this that ...

    "applies to new clients only"

    ........

    why ?

    are existing/longtime clients morons or idiots ? where is their bonus ?
    Because "coupons, discounts, promos, this that ..." are for getting more clients and then profiting more, which is the objective.

    The objective is not to profit less(charging less to current customers usually means that).

    Simple healthy business logic, nothing bad going on, the risk is, as you can see, the missperception from current customers who may then affect negatively to the company, from the marketing point of view, doesn´t matter if the current customers are in the wrong, what it matters is if is possible to diminish this negative effect towards the company.

    Your suppliers would like to have some growth also, just like you, be comprehensive about it.

    Sometimes I think some local customers of mine would like me to have just 5 customers so I can assist them promptly.
    Last edited by jagarco; 06-17-2011 at 12:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    coupons, discounts, promos, this that ...

    "applies to new clients only"

    ........

    why ?

    are existing/longtime clients morons or idiots ? where is their bonus ?
    Existing clients are happy with their service most of the time. Marketing is marketing.

    That being said, if a long term client comes to me and asks for a discount or new plan, I'm more then happy to accommodate.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  5. #5
    It is expensive to offer those specials even to new clients. If you offered it to anyone every single time you would have a very difficult time staying in business. Your provider must care very much for your well being not to offer you the discount too.

  6. #6
    " That being said, if a long term client comes to me and asks for a discount or new plan, I'm more then happy to accommodate."

    Yes, this should be done regardless if they are a "good" client.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,270
    The existing clients probably already used the current promotion of the day when they signed in. It doesn't make sense to apply every possible promotion to clients, usually it is only one promotion per client.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    623
    There is always some promotion or the other running perennially in most companies. This applies to new customers as the offer, if given to existing ones will have a deep impact on profit results. So, hosting companies generally don't provide offers and deals to existing customers. If you are upgrading with the same host, you could ask for an upgrade then.

    But, as a customer if you have already got some discount at the time of sign-up, then you cannot ask for more for obvious reasons. If you have not got that, I recommend you contact your host to give you some kind of discount now.

    Finally, the host may or may not give you based on present business conditions.
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    coupons, discounts, promos, this that ...

    "applies to new clients only"

    ........

    why ?
    Because the goal of most promotions is to grow the client base, not to slash the profit margins. I'll do some simple math for you and I am dumbing it down (like not including transaction fees).

    Promotion for new customers only:
    You have 1,000 customers each paying you $10/month (so $10,000/mo). Let's say that you run a promotion that gives new clients 50% off for their first 12 months and you get 1,000 new customers. That means that your income goes from $10,000/month to $15,000 per month. At the end of this promotion, assuming everybody stays you would be up to $20,000 per month.

    Promotion for everybody, new and pre-existing:
    Ok, so you have 1,000 customers who were paying you a total of $10,000 per month and now suddenly they're only paying you $5,000 per month.

    You still get your 1,000 new customers for a total increase of $5,000 per month...

    After this promotion not only have you doubled your client base, and as such, any workloads, support requirements, and base operating costs but you've also not increased your profits at all.

    Essentially in this situation you would end up with twice as many customers and no additional revenue. No business in the world could do this on a regular basis and survive. Yes, after the promotion ended assuming everybody stayed you would be making twice as much - but could your business last 12 months with doubling the expenses and no increase in revenue?

    Now I am presenting my example in the ideal world where every existing customer would request the promotion and you would get 1,000 new customers but it just goes to show the reason why providers don't do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    are existing/longtime clients morons or idiots ? where is their bonus ?
    Some providers will, from time to time, offer an existing-customer-only type of promotion or a promotion that can be applied for new and/or existing customers. Sometimes it's in the form of a bonus credit, extended plan duration, or a discount on renewal. Some providers simply use promotions as a type of "loss leader" to get people in the door to experience their services.

    Many providers know that you don't want to sign up to pay say, $10/month but if they can get you in the door at $5/month for a few months that you're likely to stay if the service is quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlexWrex View Post
    I would like to think that no host would ever consider existing members "morons or idiots" as without them, they wouldn't be in business and would instead have a separate promotion for them that might better suit their needs.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlexWrex View Post
    When doing promotions most companies are simply trying to generate hype to bring on new clients to add to their current client base and for that reason they may make those types of stipulations.
    A good point as well.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    none of these justify shaving off %20-30 from monthly invoices of new clients, but keep milking the existing clients.

    'marketing is marketing' -> what does that even mean from the clients' perspective ..... 'oh, marketing is marketing, let me just keep paying 30% more'.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    none of these justify shaving off %20-30 from monthly invoices of new clients, but keep milking the existing clients.

    'marketing is marketing' -> what does that even mean from the clients' perspective ..... 'oh, marketing is marketing, let me just keep paying 30% more'.
    Huh?
    Please understand this, every action has a reaction, IF a company charges X amount for X product and customers can get that from someone else for a better price, then they will go to new company...
    If a product doesn't fit your requirements(as the price or the way they handle it etc.) then is not the company for you, the customer doesn't define how the product works, just accept it or reject it, the company will decide to do something about it.

    A) If new company can handle that price then the first company will collapse for loosing customers unless he does something about it

    B) If new company can't handle that price then it will collapse and new customers will need to get back to the first company who was doing it right

    C) If both companies can stay float, then the one who has the optimum strategy will grow faster.

    C2) If the first company has the right strategy, he doesn't mind you going somewhere else and having new company deal with you.

    C3) If the first company did wrong, only they can do is traying to correct the strategy to keep you and others as customers.

  12. #12
    Price is not always everything. It is your service which determines the end result.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    all i see is multiple justifications for putting existing clients' in fools' place.

    it would be ok if it was first 3 invoices, no setup fee etc. but, people do it to give permanent discounts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    all i see is multiple justifications for putting existing clients' in fools' place.

    it would be ok if it was first 3 invoices, no setup fee etc. but, people do it to give permanent discounts.
    Tell you what... Let me increase the prices by 50% and then I'll give you a 40% permanent discount... Does that sound good to you? I mean it's discounted from what you would have been paying otherwise right???

    Seriously, if you feel a provider is too expensive without a promotion, then perhaps the provider isn't for you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Tell you what... Let me increase the prices by 50% and then I'll give you a 40% permanent discount... Does that sound good to you? I mean it's discounted from what you would have been paying otherwise right???

    Seriously, if you feel a provider is too expensive without a promotion, then perhaps the provider isn't for you.
    'that provider isnt for you' -> what provider are you talking about ?

    i am talking about a general practice in not only web hosting, but a lot of other industries. there is no 'provider' that 'is not for me' here.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    'that provider isnt for you' -> what provider are you talking about ?
    The one that isn't going to give you a new-customer promotion on an existing account or that doesn't give large recurring discounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    i am talking about a general practice in not only web hosting, but a lot of other industries. there is no 'provider' that 'is not for me' here.
    Ok, then whoever it that is following this practice in whatever industry is obviously not for you.

    You seem to me, no offense, to be the type of person who will search high and low to find the cheapest deal and will actually end up causing yourself more trouble in the process than simply going with the provider/company/whatever that would best fit your needs at a realistic price.

    The type of person who complains that promotions are for new customers only generally tends to be the type that is problematic and expects the world for pennies.

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm simply stating my opinion based upon my experiences over the years.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The one that isn't going to give you a new-customer promotion on an existing account or that doesn't give large recurring discounts.
    there is no such provider.

    Ok, then whoever it that is following this practice in whatever industry is obviously not for you.

    You seem to me, no offense, to be the type of person who will search high and low to find the cheapest deal and will actually end up causing yourself more trouble in the process than simply going with the provider/company/whatever that would best fit your needs at a realistic price.

    The type of person who complains that promotions are for new customers only generally tends to be the type that is problematic and expects the world for pennies.

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm simply stating my opinion based upon my experiences over the years.
    im getting you wrong, because you are totally talking out of your own random prejudices towards any random whomever you have dealt before.

    none of the irrelevant stuff you say above apply to me. not only im a person that doesnt like haggling, and directly pays whatever the price is when i find something i want, but also i dont need to get anything from any 'provider' anytime soon. to this point, even tho i have been aware of existence of price comparison sites, i havent used one to buy anything.

    not to mention that the 'providers' that i have been talking about, were coincidentally 'providers' like me, ending up in a situation in which i would need not buy nothing from them.

    so basically, your typecasting is irrelevant here.

    i dont know why some people feel the need to turn any subject into a 'me/you/he/she/they' situation.

    .................

    this is criticism of a basic hypocrisy/malpractice.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    You posted this thread knowing very well before doing so that it was the norm and that you were unlikely to find anybody who would agree that doing it the way you think it should be done is solid business practices.

    You can label me all you want, I'm just giving my opinion based upon experience. If you call me making educated guesses based upon years of experience prejudice, then you may want to brush up on the definition.

    Prejudice: an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
    Being that I'm basing my opinions on experiences, the word prejudice simply doesn't fit.

    Beyond that, I'm not being hypocritical - I'm not saying one thing and then doing another nor am I doing anything I shouldn't be doing.

    Best of luck to you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,361
    Actually this is a good topic.

    Most existing customers won't switch providers because they didn't get a promotion. It's all about percentage. A few existing customers will complain, let them call you up and you can give a token appreciation to make him stay. The hope is those who don't complain but switch will be few.

    Statistically it can shown that there is a barrier to people subscribing to services, but once they are subscribed they don't cancel as fast. So the key is to get them to subscribe. Rewards program is also a way to show your appreciation to customers.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    X.400
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by hellind2 View Post
    Actually this is a good topic.

    Most existing customers won't switch providers because they didn't get a promotion. It's all about percentage. A few existing customers will complain, let them call you up and you can give a token appreciation to make him stay. The hope is those who don't complain but switch will be few.

    Statistically it can shown that there is a barrier to people subscribing to services, but once they are subscribed they don't cancel as fast. So the key is to get them to subscribe. Rewards program is also a way to show your appreciation to customers.
    @hellind2 - you are correct, this is indeed a good subject however, there is no debating with unity100. Simply read his other posts or threads and you will see my point. He simply loves to rebuttal on any and every topic.

    This is my first/last post in this thread.

    Good luck

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You posted this thread knowing very well before doing so that it was the norm and that you were unlikely to find anybody who would agree that doing it the way you think it should be done is solid business practices.

    You can label me all you want, I'm just giving my opinion based upon experience. If you call me making educated guesses based upon years of experience prejudice, then you may want to brush up on the definition.



    Being that I'm basing my opinions on experiences, the word prejudice simply doesn't fit.

    Beyond that, I'm not being hypocritical - I'm not saying one thing and then doing another nor am I doing anything I shouldn't be doing.

    Best of luck to you.
    there is a difference in between nobody agreeing, which is foreseeable, and typecasting of the opposing debater.

    there were a lot of irrelevant 'character analysis' made out of nowhere with no indicators - 'people like you' blah blah.

    prejudice here is the attitude you hold towards people who 'seek the cheapest' or whatever you were identifying. that is a side topic. however it was projected to me in this occasion.

    hypocrisy here is the practice of giving permanent discounts to new customers whereas keeping the existing ones paying more. hypocrisy is a beautified word here, other words can be used for that, but they are as not politically correct as hypocrisy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LevelHosting Inc View Post
    @hellind2 - you are correct, this is indeed a good subject however, there is no debating with unity100. Simply read his other posts or threads and you will see my point. He simply loves to rebuttal on any and every topic.
    if one cant provide a good argument against something, there is no reason for him/her to expect acceptance of what s/he says.

    'because people do that'
    'it is the general practice'
    'some people like you seek the cheapest everywhere this that'

    these are not logical arguments that can offset the issue discussed in this thread - they are just excuses or accusations.

    in one respect, you are right - regardless of what is put forth as argument, there has to be rebuttal in this subject, because nothing can offset discriminating against people in this way ; 'hey, you signed up before those people i am giving this promotion to, so you can keep getting 'shafted' while i favor these guys'

    what did the people existing in the billing system did wrong to not receive that promotion ? sign up before others ?

    ..................

    no. i dont think there can be anything to justify or rationalize that. it is a basic marketing trick, which is as questionable and dodgy as many other marketing tricks out there.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    584
    HostGator gets a lot of new customers with their first month being $0.01.

    Does this mean that your shared hosting should always be $0.01?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Balkans
    Posts
    153
    A rather interesting discussion here.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Appdeveloper View Post
    HostGator gets a lot of new customers with their first month being $0.01.

    Does this mean that your shared hosting should always be $0.01?
    thats an acceptable practice. all customers make use of this.

    if, hostgator started giving only new clients 20% discount for the same services, perpetually, that would be what we are discussing here.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,294
    It happens, its happened for lots of years. It does NOT only relate to webhosting.
    You will find this practice in a fields including things like plumbing, electricians, automotive repair.
    Its a way to gain new customers and it works.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    of course it doesnt relate to web hosting only. and i have noted that in my first few posts more than one time.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    thats an acceptable practice. all customers make use of this.

    if, hostgator started giving only new clients 20% discount for the same services, perpetually, that would be what we are discussing here.
    I think, there´s nothing to discuss, if the nature of the industry allows this practice as acceptable(that is, good and ethical) for the majority of customers and suppliers.

    PLEASE understand, this practice IS very business logical and ethical.
    If you say current customers should be allowed for the same discount then that would result, for example, in there won´t be any discount for anyone, because it wouldn´t be possible for all.
    And then, because of this, there still be another strategy to gain new customers an not loose business for existing customers.
    But IF the business also includes the current customers is NOT because he has to, but because is more profitable for that case.

    Is very SIMPLE, really, I can´t see anything wrong.

    The product has a way of working to exist, this includes EVRYTHING, you change something and that product or industry may stop existing.

    We businesses also understand that customers are in majority Uninformed, Greedy and Lazy, is not a complain, is nature. We understand that doing something not making into account this fact, we can expect unfavorable results.
    Last edited by jagarco; 06-19-2011 at 05:32 PM.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    So, as I understand, if you had a business, and after you do a strategy analysis, you conclude that a discount to new customers and not current customers would end up giving the best short and long term profit results... you won´t do it because you think is not ethical practice even though the great majority of your market and current customers wont´care nor won´t think is wrong?

    You wouldn´t last in the marketing department.
    Last edited by jagarco; 06-19-2011 at 06:02 PM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    re-labeling something as 'business' or anything else, doesnt make it ethical.

    it can make it 'general practice'. but, it doesnt change its ethics.

    and, as for your question - yes, when i lowered my prices and boosted resources in my packages, i applied to all existing clients too, without discrimination of new or old.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    re-labeling something as 'business' or anything else, doesnt make it ethical.
    Also doesn't mean that before something is "labeled" as business was unethical either.
    So you're saying nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    it can make it 'general practice'. but, it doesnt change its ethics.
    Not saying it does.
    Also, Ethics, as you can see, maybe is subjective, is not 2 + 2 = 4, so for some it could be orange and for others yellow, and that's it, the thing is, in this case, a great great majority(sellers and buyers) see it as orange(ethical for them).
    And yes, I'm talking for the buyers too, as I'm also a consumer for other things.

    The yellow ones are free to spend their time and resources as they want, but I think is unfair to label the orange ones as Unethical just because they don't see nothing wrong about it doing business(or whatever) between them(sellers and buyers) and you being the "very minority" having a problem with it, and having a problem with it doesn't mean you're in the right BTW.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    and, as for your question - yes, when i lowered my prices and boosted resources in my packages, i applied to all existing clients too, without discrimination of new or old.
    Again, you're free to take what ever strategy you like, your yellow technique is costing you and maybe even though nobody you cared(customers, audience etc.)... cared or valued it much. And I'm pretty sure the majority of your customers won't see it as Unethical or Discriminatory of you went the other route, they'll just see it as a "bummer" or disadvantage for their case, and that is it, nobody is unethical for them.
    And also, you're naming unethical to the orange ones(sellers and buyers) for their strategies even when they don't see nothing unethical about it, just you.

    You are free to "think" what ever you think is right, but can't "say" whatever you want so lightly to others..., like, "Unethical" as you may be affecting them in an unfair way.
    Last edited by jagarco; 06-19-2011 at 08:32 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jagarco View Post
    Also doesn't mean that before something is "labeled" as business was unethical either.
    So you're saying nothing.
    ethics of this was explained before. you have 100 clients, you get 10 new clients, they get perpetual 20% less, the 100 other 'fools' keep paying 20% more - either because they didnt know that there was such a 'promotion' running and called in to [email protected] about it, or, they were denied.

    Not saying it does.
    Also, Ethics, as you can see, maybe is subjective, is not 2 + 2 = 4, so for some it could be orange and for others yellow, and that's it, the thing is, in this case, a great great majority(sellers and buyers) see it as orange(ethical).
    And yes, I'm talking for the buyers too, as I'm also a consumer for other things.

    The yellow ones are free to spend their time and resources as they want, but I think is unfair to label the orange ones as Unethical just because they don't see nothing wrong about it doing business(or whatever) between them(sellers and buyers) and you being the "very minority" having a problem with it, and having a problem with it doesn't mean you're in the right BTW.

    Again, you're free to take what ever strategy you like, your yellow technique is costing you and maybe even though nobody you cared(customers, audience etc.)... cared or valued it much.
    And also, you're naming unethical to the orange ones(sellers and buyers) for their strategies even when they don't see nothing unethical about it, just you.

    You are free to "think" what ever you think is right, but can't "say" whatever you want so lightly to others..., like, "Unethical" as you may be affecting them in an unfair way.
    the above rationalizations are still based on the assumption that majority doing or accepting something makes it ethical or at least 'subjectively ethical'.

    ethics doesnt change with subjective perspective. there is the highest attained/discovered state of ethics at any given point in time in civilization. the majority of the civilization, may not be accepting part or all of it. but that doesnt make what they practice ethical, just because they dont accept what is ethical.

    numerous examples can be given for this from history. however, no need to branch the discussion out.

    in short all you have said was 'people accept it so its ethical' it isnt.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    and, as for your question - yes, when i lowered my prices and boosted resources in my packages, i applied to all existing clients too, without discrimination of new or old.
    What happened to your profit margin when you do this?
    I support the Human Rights Campaign - http://www.hrc.org/

    Equal Love - Marriage Equality for All - Freedom to Marry

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    thats an acceptable practice. all customers make use of this.

    if, hostgator started giving only new clients 20% discount for the same services, perpetually, that would be what we are discussing here.
    Since you mentioned Hostgator, on their website, it states, "*Price reflects 20% off first invoice." Maybe I am missing something, but "off first invoice" doesn't equate to a perpetual discount.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign - http://www.hrc.org/

    Equal Love - Marriage Equality for All - Freedom to Marry

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    ethics of this was explained before. you have 100 clients, you get 10 new clients, they get perpetual 20% less, the 100 other 'fools' keep paying 20% more - either because they didnt know that there was such a 'promotion' running and called in to [email protected] about it, or, they were denied.
    I don't see them like fools
    I don't see myself as a fool if I'm the buyer, I see myself in a disadvantage because of the nature of the product, of how the industry ETHICALLY works or the route this company might have chosen.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    the above rationalizations are still based on the assumption that majority doing or accepting something makes it ethical or at least 'subjectively ethical'.

    ethics doesnt change with subjective perspective. there is the highest attained/discovered state of ethics at any given point in time in civilization. the majority of the civilization, may not be accepting part or all of it. but that doesnt make what they practice ethical, just because they dont accept what is ethical.

    numerous examples can be given for this from history. however, no need to branch the discussion out.

    in short all you have said was 'people accept it so its ethical' it isnt.
    Maybe I'm saying it was NEVER unethical in the first place, so there is nothing to be suddenly and newly accepted as ETHICAL just because "people accept it"..., because it has ALWAYS been Ethical.

    BTW, What is the case you're talking about?

    A)
    New discount only for new sign ups
    Current customers keep paying the same
    New customers pay less permanently
    Promotion ends after some days/weeks

    I see no problem here

    B)
    New discount only for new sign ups
    Current customers keep paying the same
    New customers pay less permanently
    Promotion's Prices stayed permanently and now is not a promotion
    Current customers keep paying the same(more than current prices)

    I do see a reason for a problem there, not unethical still, if the company makes it clear how it works forever reason they may have, because current customers have the option to stop buying.

    Current customers may be of a certain profile(specific needs or behaviors) that the company's strategy doesn't target anymore.

    For example, current customers may be webmasters, but I can see a company changing its target market to end users, so, current customers(webmasters) if they want to stay they would need to keep paying their rate.

    Unethical would be if the company uses a Shady, UNinformed or Dishonest approach towards current customers.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Since you mentioned Hostgator, on their website, it states, "*Price reflects 20% off first invoice." Maybe I am missing something, but "off first invoice" doesn't equate to a perpetual discount.
    I don't think he was trying to say Hostgator is actually doing that, just giving a hypothetical example.

  36. #36
    Discount given to the new customers is only a marketing strategy to attract new clients. Every business body needs new clients to sustain the business, isn't it? This is only a tactic to attract the clients.

    Let take Google Adwords as the example. Google gives away $100 Adwaords coupon voucher, does it applies to existing customer? No, right? The coupon voucher only for new Google Adwords users.

    If you are new to Google Adwords, will you sign up an account with this coupon voucher? You will sign up, with this, Google get a new client. This is only the marketing tactics to get new clients. There is no involvement of ethical issue.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What happened to your profit margin when you do this?
    rose numerically, rose ethically.

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Since you mentioned Hostgator, on their website, it states, "*Price reflects 20% off first invoice." Maybe I am missing something, but "off first invoice" doesn't equate to a perpetual discount.
    hostgator was given as a general example. i didnt say hostgator did that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jagarco View Post
    I don't see them like fools
    ..............
    i dont see the point in discussing this with you any further. you are just redefining ethics, or making the world bold to - somehow - make it valid. thank you for your discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionese View Post
    Discount given to the new customers is only a marketing strategy to attract new clients. Every business body needs new clients to sustain the business, isn't it? This is only a tactic to attract the clients.

    Let take Google Adwords as the example. Google gives away $100 Adwaords coupon voucher, does it applies to existing customer? No, right? The coupon voucher only for new Google Adwords users.
    the subject here is perpetual discounts/benefits. not setup or one time.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    i dont see the point in discussing this with you any further. you are just redefining ethics, or making the world bold to - somehow - make it valid. thank you for your discussion.
    Did you read my last post? my comment on case B)?
    You know what is funny, I do think that in some variants you may be right, but with other variants of these cases we would treat it differently.., yes, me Unethically and you Ethically.

    At the beginning I was talking about case A) but it seems you are referring to case B
    I understand some variants on case B are unethical.

    But I also think, you're saying, ALL of human and business actions have to be 100.00% Ethical

    I think you want everyone to be Nanoprecition Ethical, to the level of giving the same smile to EVERYONE in order to be Ethical on treating customers, a 1.3 seconds smile with a 60% of teeth showing..., anything Intentionally different IS Unethical, and yes, it is Unethical.
    You are right there.

    I think you want a body where there is no bacteria going on, 100% bacteria free, even if the person can have a normal life for 100 years having bacteria all his life.
    Just as we already do.

    So, in your levels of criteria, I suppose I do accept UNETHICAL PRACTICES, you see there?, I didn't name it differently, and I do believe we will not be doing wrong in my dictionary.
    I could explain in what kind of circumstances but we are done here.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,521
    Maybe they're running different promotions. They like their current clients but need to find additional ways to bring in new people. Maybe a majority of the clients are all paying a discounted price and the current clients think they're getting a better deal... Maybe they want to make new clients feel special . WHO KNOWS everyone has different motives.

    I personally wouldn't do a new members only promotion as your current members might be upset.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    I personally wouldn't do a new members only promotion as your current members might be upset.
    that goes without saying, even before its ethics. leave aside the people who have redefined ethics to make it ethical, it seems there are a lot of people who dont think about what you mentioned either.

Similar Threads

  1. How efficient are topic titles like "BLOWOUT", "SPECIAL" and "KILLER OFFER"?
    By BluewaveHosted in forum Running a Web Hosting Business
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
  2. Plesk 9.x - Difference between "Clients" and "Reselles"?
    By mrzippy in forum Hosting Software and Control Panels
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM
  3. what difference between "desktop"、"work station"、"server" board ?
    By joelin in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM
  4. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 03:22 AM
  5. DDOS: GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 223 "-" "-" 800k times a day :(
    By freeflight2 in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 11:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •