Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HostGator new registration asking for ID and CreditCard scan

hello everyone

i am new member in here

today i registering at hostgator, because i am hearing good review for them

But surprisingly, after the registration completed
    they send verification email, asking for my personal IDs and CreditCard scan!

Even though they allow me to mask-off digits on the creditcard, but as new user, i didn't feel confident especially when lot hacking activity lately

And i have been using various webhosting, and this is first time a webhoster asking for ID, hostgator even didn't let me know the reason they need my ID scan

So i tried to contact hostgator sales, and they said they will call me
    after waiting around 6hours without no call from hostgator, i contact sales person in live-chat again, now they said they going phone immediately, then they said no one answering the phone, i am waiting and i didn't hear the phone ringing either... i give them my cellnumber, but same they said the made call, but it never reach me

in the end i need to call their international support, but my phone-line seems didn't allow me to contact their international call for some reason

i also ask if i can pay thru paypal, but they said i will still need to do verification, which i think ridiculous, my paypal is already verified, why they need to care that much ?

So i want to know if new user at hostgator been asked for your ids ?
    and did you feel safe sending your ids ?

thanks in advance

I've never heard of this before! Where are you in the world?

No such experience with our clients, but from my partner's stats hostgator does got lots of fraud sign ups recently, maybe this is the reason why they set so restrict rules

i am in asia pasific, indonesia
    now i am feel discrimination

if they afraid fraud, why they didn't let me just pay from paypal ?
    they can verified they got no problem with the payment
    and also i didn't have to send out my id over internet

here their email :

Hello,

Thank you for your order with HostGator.com!

In order for us to setup your account, we will need you to call in and verify your billing information.

If you are unable to call us, you can instead respond to this ticket with a scanned copy of a Photo ID such as a passport, or drivers license. In addition to a photo ID, please include a scanned copy of the credit card that was used in your account purchase (assuming you purchased a hosting account with a credit card). For security purposes you can mask off all the digits of the card number except for the last 4 digits.

Please provide us with the above requested information at your earliest convenience to ensure that your account with HostGator is setup as soon as possible.

Toll-free: 1-866-96-GATOR, extension 1010
    International: 001-713-574-5287

We are available 24/7, so please feel free to call us at your convenience. We apologize for any inconveniences that may result from this process.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
    HostGator.com Sales Team
    Customer ID: 949451
    Last edited by slyphnier; 06-17-2011 at 06:08 AM.

That happened to me once with another host. I had to send them and then they released the payments and host.

Even with paypal there is potential fraud. Normally during the winter is when we get a lot of fraud on our site. Paypal took back up to $5000 for fraud last year, nothing hurts a business more than that. Security and checks is going to be a big thing soon.

Happened to me with Host Gator and I'm from Australia. It's to stop credit card fraud which happens a lot in the hosting industry.

Hostgator asked me that to

thanks for the reply everyone

@CheetahHostdotNet
    when you receive payment you can check whether user is verified user or not right ? don't you think verified user safe (free from fraud)
    i don't know how far people doing fraud

@people sending their id to hostgator
    do you feel comfortable sending your confidential matter to internet company ?
    i know hostgator have good reputation, but imho my personal information is more critical than their need for verification procedure
    i mean if a user found out that doing bad things they can just cancel the account like they mention on their ToS right?

and i just didn't get from people that trying to register a website using a stolen creditcard... i mean, their account will be blocked as soon as the company findout... so what the point they register the account anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by slyphnier View Post
    when you receive payment you can check whether user is verified user or not right ? don't you think verified user safe (free from fraud)
    It doesn't matter if the PayPal account is verified or not. The account could have been compromised. When the real owner finds this weird charge, they will do a chargeback.

thanks for the reply everyone

@CheetahHostdotNet

@people sending their id to hostgator
    do you feel comfortable sending your confidential matter to internet company ?
    i know hostgator have good reputation, but imho my personal information is more critical than their need for verification procedure
    i mean if a user found out that doing bad things they can just cancel the account like they mention on their ToS right?

and i just didn't get from people that trying to register a website using a stolen creditcard... i mean, their account will be blocked as soon as the company findout... so what the point they register the account anyway ?
    Yes i had no problem with there verification procedure note that hostgator or any other company for that matter is permitted to sell or otherwise disclose personal information unless the involved company is being forced todo this by law enforcement(eg court order(s)) Hostgator will only use that info to verify you are indeed who you claim to be after that is done all of your worries will be over unless offcource you are being naughty

This is common in the hosting industry -- no need to make a big deal out of it.

thank you again for the information everyone

well i have been in some webhosting like hostcolor / powweb / lunarpages etc.
    and been never asked about id, so this is new to me ^^

thank you again for the information everyone

well i have been in some webhosting like hostcolor / powweb / lunarpages etc.
    and been never asked about id, so this is new to me ^^
    Which makes it your choice. It's reasonable enough for hostgator to be cautious. That's their prerogative. They've just upped the cost for you hosting with them, in that it's a mild inconvenience for you, and a possible security risk. But they haven't upped it by much. Either you still want to host with them, given it now costs the money they quoted and the non-material price of the security checks, or it's now too pricey and you want to give your custom elsewhere.

Hostgator have done the cost-benefit analysis of that for them. Only you can do it for you. If they still meet, then you still have a deal.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

HG wrote you can call them free, or, send that data to them

@OP If you read what HG sent to you, their desire is for you to call them on the phone. Or, if you cannot call them on the phone, then the second option is to send that stuff to them.

You can call phone numbers that are toll free within the USA (800 numbers, etc.), FREE, on Skype.

Also, if they have it enabled in Indonesia, you can call phone numbers in the USA, regular or toll free numbers, free, until the end of 2011, on Gmail. I can do that from Colombia, but, I'm not sure if Google has it enabled from Indonesia.

I would have no problem sending that data to HostGator.
    Much smaller companies, I would probably not want to send that data to. That does not mean that I assume smaller companies are dishonest, but I would feel better sending that data to HostGator, than a small provider.

I have had to send data like that, on a number of occasions, because I live in South America. GL

Much smaller companies, I would probably not want to send that data to. That does not mean that I assume smaller companies are dishonest, but I would feel better sending that data to HostGator, than a small provider.
    Why? As a small business owner, I find that to be quite hurtful.
    AS395558

Ok, When I ordered a dedicated server from hivelocity I was asked for this too, This is a commonly practiced exercise to prevent obvious fraud. Being in the hosting industry for 7+ years I have seen lots of fraud every way you can imagine and to be honest most comes from pakistan,china,nigeria,vietnam,and india. If you are a legitimate customer and are looking for a reliable host then offering such credentials should not be a problem.
    TuneMyBox.com - Providing top quality admin services for linux servers. Mysql/Performance/Security/DDos Mitigation and More! Get a quick and painless quote for any job Here!
    Follow Us on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Why? As a small business owner, I find that to be quite hurtful.
    Because anybody with $20 can be a host, that's why. No offense, but I don't send my info to just anybody.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Because anybody with $20 can be a host, that's why. No offense, but I don't send my info to just anybody.
    This made me laugh a bit but sadly its true.
    TuneMyBox.com - Providing top quality admin services for linux servers. Mysql/Performance/Security/DDos Mitigation and More! Get a quick and painless quote for any job Here!
    Follow Us on Twitter!

When I signed for a reseller account with HostGator, I was asked to scan my credit card and ID card too (I photographed them with pocket camera and sent them to HostGator).
    I also paid with my PayPal account now without any problems. I've been with them for 1 year or so.

PS: I'm from and am is located in Indonesia too
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Its mostlikely a fraud scan?

The positive way to view it is that, as well as increasing the price they are asking you to pay to host with them, it also increases the benefit they are offering to give you. If it shows that they take fraud prevention seriously and won't take the risk that any prospective new customer might harm a server or their business, that means they are a responsible provider.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Personal ID no way.

Paypal only requested the copy of my proof of billing.
    Resellerclub only requested the copy of my credit card.

But hey this is HG policy, so if you're uncomfortable just find another provider.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Well there are many hosting companies that require this info. example Korean hosts
    in US things are easier but in some countries you can't make it without some sort of IDs

Yes , you have to call them yourself for verification purposes.

That was what I did 4 years ago when I purchased hosting from them.

Just go and give them a call! , and enjoy your hosting!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast