SuperTalent ram no longer has heatsink?

Anyone else see this? Writing here since I know several of you guys use super talent memory as its colo so most of you guys use your own hardware.

In the past I have ordered several sets of the W13RX12GH 12 GB kit (3x4GB RDIMM/hynix). I have ordered atleast 4-5 of these kits in the past and they always came with heatsinks. Even checking online I can't find any pictures where they don't have heatsinks.

Well I recently ordered two sets of W13RX12GH from superbiiz only to get DIMMs which don't have heatsinks. I checked and they definitely are the same model number W13RX12GH. I am kind of surprised they would do something like remove the heatsink and keep the same model number like that. Anyone else see this?

I am feeling a little bit of bait and switch here as I probably wouldn't have ordered the memory without heatsinks. Even if the ram works in optimal conditions ok without heatsinks I would still rather have even lower temps with the heatsink =(. I am very disappointed about this.

I have a lot of kingston RAM, and in the same order of 20+ chips I will have same product number all looks the same, but some will have a heatsink and some wont.

I used to use supertalent a bit and noticed this even then, and that was 2.5+ years ago. I even had some FBDIMMS like that once.

I don't know why exactly the memory makers think they can do this when their product specs many times even say heatsink/heatspreader

I recently got some Hynix FBDIMMs and some of them had a normal like heat spreader, and some of them had a full on memory heatinks that were at least a cm out on EACH SIDE of the memory. That was not good for the 1u case at all, I had to go buy some smaller heat spreaders and void my warranty (after testing it was good of course)

Well you could always add your own. I don't buy any ram without a heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post
    Well you could always add your own. I don't buy any ram without a heatsink.
    True, although then its a decently added expense and It covers up the model and/or serial number as well. I normally don't ever buy ram without a heatsink either... If only I knew...

While I do not believe a heatsink of ram is ever important some RAM manufactures and distributors/computer stores have expressed concerns over the fact that people have been RMA'ing and returning memory that is not the original by taking off the RAM's heatsink and putting it on some other stick of ram.

Again a heatsink of ram is unnecessary anyway