Thread: WSUS without AD

WSUS without AD

I have couple a questions for those have configured WSUS w/o AD successfully before.

Have a Win2K3 server w/ WSUS stuff installed. I see the Updated Services Management Console and have approved updates and whatnot.

I am working in a non-AD environment where I have 4 Windows machines I have to configure to connect to this local WSUS server. Let's call the WSUS machine "wsus.local" and clients "client*".

Here is what I added to the registry on client1:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="http://wsus.local"
    "WUStatusServer"="http://wsus.local"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000002
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
    (Yes, wsus.local is resolvable)

Once I did this, I see the tab "Automatic Updates" under System Properties grayed out. I guess it's working?

I ran Windows Updates on client1, successfully pulled, updated, and rebooted. However, I don't see any reference in c:\windows\windowsupdates.txt file referencing that it connected to my wsus.local machine.

So my two questions is:
    1) How can I make wsus.local's Updates Services Management Console see the client* machines? Please see attachment.
    2) How can I really tell the client* is connecting and downloading updates from wsus.local?

Sorry I am not a Windows sysadmin, just want to learn. Thank you for any food for thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wsus-wht.jpg  
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.