Thread: DNS Problems

DNS Problems

Im sorry its very basic question

Suppose we have two dns servers, which we use their IP addresses in the servers and clients in their TCP/IP properties as primary and secondary dns servers

suppose we used these dns servers for a dedicated web server, the web server has its own local dns (installed with Plesk control panel, BIND) , now I dont understand the domain name servers are pointed to our main dns servers which we put their IPs in the TCP/IP properties or should be pointed to the web server IPs ?????

I think they should be pointed to the web servers, but I'm asking because most of the web hosting give their name servers to the customers to point their domains to them and still the customer's dedicated server works ! do they have separated dns servers for this only ? do they put all of the dedicated server dns data on those servers ? if so how would they know what domain a client is going to host on a dedicated server !?

Do they have separated DNS server for pointing domains to ?
    I mean are they different from main data centers dns server which I said at first I mean the ones that we put their IPs in the TCP/IP ?

Sorry Im confused

Thanks for your help

Can someone please help me with this
    I know my question is very silly, but Im confused

Is it possible that I have one DNS server for my local dns services ?for the domains to be pointed to ?

Thanks

Hi,

I read your first post and to be very honest couldn't understand exactly what you were saying.

In your second post you ask if you can have one DNS server for all local DNS services - yes of course you can.

If you list exactly what you currently have setup, i.e. how many servers, what OS, what control panel, then I/we can advise better.

Regards,
    Suhail.
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | R1Soft CDP Storage | UK Server Colo | UK Rack Space

Thanks a lot for your reply

Sorry about my first post, I was a bit stressed I didn't know what exactly I want

Okay, basically I have setup two main DNS servers for my datacenter, with windows server 2008 Ent, primary and seconday, they are working fine, now I have a few webservers I was confused that do I need to point my customer's domains to the main datacenter dns servers or to the their own dadeicated servers the ones that webserver is hosted on.
    And after that I realized that I have to point them to the dedicated servers, which each server has a local DNS.
    We are using Plesk on most of the webservers, but some of them are suing MS DNS as their local DNS.

Now my qestions are :

1. Most of the webhosting companies have a fixed name servers to be given to their customers to point their domains to like (ns1.webhosting.com and ns2.webhosting.com ), so they dont have to have local DNS on each reseller account server. Am I right ? If yes, how Did they configure the server to get the new DNS records from the clients reseller account to update them in main local DNS server without knowing what domains or dns records a client is going to create ?

2. Main DNS servers in a datacenter are to resolve DNS queries from the other servers, can these servers do also the job of the main local DNS too (the above server in my first question)?

3. Do we have to enable DNS Recursive on our main datacenter DNS servers ? considering all of our servers relying on our DNS servers and not the ISP one, since we are doing reverse DNS too. if we don't have to enable that, in that case the other servers don't have access to the internet coz our DNS servers cant resolve the zone queries that are not on the server. is there any other solution ?

4. What if we have to have DNS Recursive enabled, can we restrict the DNS to accept queries from our datacenter only ?
    what about the security ?
    What the other datacenters are doing ?

Thanks a lot for your help

OK, I've read your post 5 times and I'm still confused on what you really want us to help with. But here's my thing to you. Help or no help, I'm not sure but I guess something is way better than nothing.

You start with having a DNS, namely ns1.yourdns.com and ns2.yourdns.com
    those 2 DNS will point to somewhere...

Eg.
    ns1.yourdns.com --> 1.2.3.4
    ns2.yourdns.com --> 1.2.3.5

When you put this in your registrar, it will automatically point to those IP which is suppose to be on a server (whichever server it is). Your server in turn resolves the queries and sends back the data which is to display the page.

In order for your server to resolve the request, a DNS service needs to be setup on the server so that it could resolve requests and know which page to display.

Think of it this way... Registrar is like your Post Office(Main Sorting Center). They will sort out all the letters to be sent to which area(which server). The Post Office branch at the area will take the letters and deliver it to your home(website within the server).

DNS works basically the same way. Registrar will point to which server the request is going to be sent to. Your server will resolve the request and send back the page which is requested.

So with that said, what is your real main question?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders
    Okay, basically I have setup two main DNS servers for my datacenter, with windows server 2008 Ent, primary and seconday, they are working fine, now I have a few webservers I was confused that do I need to point my customer's domains to the main datacenter dns servers or to the their own dadeicated servers the ones that webserver is hosted on.
    And after that I realized that I have to point them to the dedicated servers, which each server has a local DNS.
    We are using Plesk on most of the webservers, but some of them are suing MS DNS as their local DNS.

Now my qestions are :

1. Most of the webhosting companies have a fixed name servers to be given to their customers to point their domains to like (ns1.webhosting.com and ns2.webhosting.com ), so they dont have to have local DNS on each reseller account server. Am I right ? If yes, how Did they configure the server to get the new DNS records from the clients reseller account to update them in main local DNS server without knowing what domains or dns records a client is going to create ?

2. Main DNS servers in a datacenter are to resolve DNS queries from the other servers, can these servers do also the job of the main local DNS too (the above server in my first question)?

3. Do we have to enable DNS Recursive on our main datacenter DNS servers ? considering all of our servers relying on our DNS servers and not the ISP one, since we are doing reverse DNS too. if we don't have to enable that, in that case the other servers don't have access to the internet coz our DNS servers cant resolve the zone queries that are not on the server. is there any other solution ?

4. What if we have to have DNS Recursive enabled, can we restrict the DNS to accept queries from our datacenter only ?

Thanks a lot for your help
    You're going about it the wrong way. You should setup your dedicated DNS boxes exactly for that, to host your DNS, i.e. ns1 and ns2

Those boxes would then need to know which webservers are hosting which domains. I don't know about Plesk but with Cpanel and DirectAdmin you can automate this.

So when someone loads up a domain on their browser, it is directed to the DNS servers, which then tells it which webserver the website is on.

In this way, two DNS servers can service an unlimited number of webservers, mail servers, etc.
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | R1Soft CDP Storage | UK Server Colo | UK Rack Space

Thanks guys
    But these are making me more confused

I know that domain should be pointed to the server which has the webserver on it, but Im asking if its possible to have one DNS server to point all of the domains to.
    I have three servers, which each will have 20 reseller account on them. I want to have one local DNS server for these three server, so instead of they have their local DNS to point their customer's domain to they can sue my main Local dns for their customer's domains.
    Now Im asking how can I configure DNS server to be updated when the reseller customers create DNS records in their reseller server.

At the moment each reseller server has its own local DNS and all of their domains are linked to their servers, and its working fine , but I want to centralize the DNS to one server.

Thanks
    Last edited by Wonders; 06-17-2011 at 12:35 PM.

OK, if I get your correctly, you are trying to use ns1.yourdns.com and ns2.yourdns.com to point to 3 servers all together? If that is the case, then the answer is NO.

However you can configure it to use 1 single domain to point to all 3 servers by configuring ns1, ns2, ns3, ns4, ns5 and etc... Since you have 3 servers, you can just do this...

ns1 & ns2 --> server 1
    ns3 & ns4 --> server 2
    ns5 & ns6 --> server 3

Since you have a lot of reseller accounts, you can either inform your reseller that the DNS used is ns1.yourdns.com and ns2.yourdns.com which I totally do not think your reseller will agree to because they would definitely want their own DNS so that you stay clear of their business and they do not want their clients to know they are your reseller anyways. But if there is a chance of them agreeing, then you just get them to use your DNS given to them.

If your reseller is using your DNS, then when you update the DNS to another IP or something like that, all your resellers and their accounts will automatically be updated as well. That's basically how you do it.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

Oh Thanks a lot,
    So these name servers has nothing to do with the main DNS server, I mean the one that is used instead of ISP dns servers and do the reverse DNS !?

And can you please help me with these too

1. Do we have to enable DNS Recursive on our main datacenter DNS servers ? considering all of our servers relying on our DNS servers and not the ISP one, since we are doing reverse DNS too. if we don't have to enable that, in that case the other servers don't have access to the internet coz our DNS servers cant resolve the zone queries that are not on the server. is there any other solution ?

2. What if we have to have DNS Recursive enabled, can we restrict the DNS to accept queries from our datacenter only ?

Thanks a lot

Here's my question to you before I reply your question. Why are you so worried about other DNS's? Your main and only concern is your own DNS. If you have a server, nobody will provide you with a DNS that you could use to point to that server. No provider will be too free to create a DNS just so that you do not use it.

There are no main DNS server, ISP dns server, and etc... Just stop what you are thinking for a moment and digest this.

Domain Name --> DNS Record with Registrar --> Server --> Resolved Website

Where along this line are you lost at? There's no ISP DNS Server or anything at all to do with the ISP, Main DNS Server and etc. Can you stop confusing yourself over those terms? You're not only confusing yourself, you're trying to confuse others as well.

If you're still not understanding my explanation, then can you please draw what you understand and put it here so that we could help you understand what you're getting wrong and where.

By the way, please explain this...

1. What is "Main Datacenter DNS Server"?
    2. What is "Our DNS Server"?
    3. What is "ISP DNS Server"?

How many servers do you really have in total? Everything included, nothing left out please! Please name them all.
    Last edited by aodat2; 06-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

Okay let me explain
    I do understand the concept of DNS, but since this is my first time working in a datacenter it made me a bit confused,
    We have our own block of IPs from RIPE, when I say main Datacenter DNS server I mean DNS servers that are controlling our reverse DNS, which are working perfectly at the moment.
    The above servers has nothing to do with the local DNS and name servers of the domains. these are for the servers on our datacenter in order to have internet connectivity using our own range of IPs.

My questions (last two questions) are regarding above DNS servers.

Now I understand that each webserver should have their domains linked to its own through name servers, because they are holding local DNS records.

Thanks

OK... now I get you. I think. LOL. Then again, working in a DataCenter and asking such questions really makes me wonder a few things. Don't you have techs there which could help explain it to you better? LOL.

Anyways, your so called "Main DataCenter DNS Server" or more like "master reverse lookup server" is only used for rDNS purposes. It's controlling the rDNS of IP's to your server only. There's no other use for it. The rDNS server is not for you to use to resolve domains and etc. It's for the IP block's resolution. It's totally different from a DNS server which is used to resolve Domain Names. You guys could obviously also configure it to run as a DNS server however I've NEVER heard of anyone doing that yet.

A DNS server is needed on a server because they hold the key to knowing where the contents are stored at and which domain is holding what. That's for the Server which has your resellers there. That's totally different from the rDNS server mentioned above. That's the reason that no matter what you do, you cannot set your own rDNS for your IP and have to contact your Server Provider to do it for you.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

)
    Cool, thats it, Thanks man
    Basically my friend has started setting up a datacenter and we are trying to do everything, no one is there to help me

Okay, I realised that there is no other use for that DNS server. now let me ask some more questions

Do I need to have forward lookup on this server ? if not so I have to use recursive enabled, right ? because I need to have forwarders to my ISP, because Im using these DNSs in my servers instead of ISPs DNS servers, am I right ?
    Is it what we are supposed to do ?

Thanks

Sorry but I gotta bug out of this convo folks, too complicated for me!
    OSHS Ltd

Are you really serious on setting up a Data Center? If that's the real thing then you should hire people who actually knows what they are doing instead of doing it all yourself. By the way, can you stop using the term ISP and start using their name instead? I do believe that they WILL NOT provide you with any DNS on their end when you get a line with them.

I'm totally NOT believing that you guys know what you're doing in total. Setting up a DC and not even having staff to handle the rDNS server? Did you configure your routers and switches correctly? Which Router did you use? What Switch(make and model)?

From your 1st few posts, you are having 3 servers and you're setting up a DC from that? Kinda erm... I don't know, low? Setting up a DC would require your friend to be spending at least $2-3 million on things. Hiring staff to get this done is not going to be even seen in his budget. It's a cost which is negligible. So can we get things straight that you guys are not setting up a DC but rather setting up a room/rack/space rented within a DC?

Getting back to your question, no forward lookup is not needed, hence the name reverse lookup. Yes recursive enabled.

Again, I do not know what ISP are you talking about. If you're talking about Cogent and etc, they will not and do not provide you with their DNS coz there's no point in providing it to you.

Even the line itself would cost more than hiring a professional to do all these things. Something totally doesn't seem right with what you're telling me. Setting up a DC? Did you again use the wrong term?
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

I dont understand why you are askign such questions, I know it might look strange , but thats true, Thanks for your reply and the answers, but I cant give those ifnormation here, I'll message you !

Thanks