Webhost for online

I am in the process of building a news web site that will ultimately include live streaming audio. The live streaming may be a little down the road, but I want to choose a web host with this ultimate goal in mind.

Does anyone have an idea of the specs (bandwidth, webspace) that will be required to stream live audio? Also, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for web hosts, particularly if they experience with live streaming and have upgradable options for when the time comes.

Many thanks for your help!

Well if its lived audio streaming then youl have to go for any type of hosting other than shared hosting...your decision of choosing which type of hosting mainly depends on your requirement and budget

Start with a vps that can scale, also have to be close where your main visitors will be. The best for you if you let us know your budget so we can recommend the best solution for what you can pay.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime

If you are going to live broadcast you need a special host, not a shared host, you need one with "Real Broadcast Media Server" or "Shoutcast Server" or "MS Media Server", etc. A regular shared host wont fit your needs, if you live broadcast I don't think that space is going to be an issue since no contents are stored on the server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

The best way would be to get your own |VPS server with 100 mbps uplink and install your shoutcast server there.
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.

What type of audio are you streaming? Make sure you don't infringe on any copyrights. =]

I would also go with a VPS from a reliable company.

I would go with a reputable shared host and use a CDN for live streaming. No need for a VPS at this point.
    My personal blog --

Streaming live broadcasts is the ultimate goal, but realistically I want to perfect my web format in print before I go the audio route. Is it difficult to migrate from a shared server to a VPS? I don't want to incure the higher cost before I have all the equipment I need to stream live.

If so, does anyone know of any hosts who offer this kind of flexibilty? I'm looking to spend no more than $15/month at this point.

Thank you!

15 dollars for shared hosting is more than enough but for a managed VPS... I don't think you will find much.

I think you can go with burstNET VPS server with this budget at the moment. In case your website grows you can upgrade later.