Why me and not a big company?

Hello,

Why would people come to my web hosting company instead of the large ones like hostgator, justhost... ??

It's your company, you tell me. What do/can you offer that the larger ones just can't?

First and foremost, it is a general opinion in the industry that big companies don't take care of service and customer relationship is not that appreciable. This is the reason many come to small companies and start-ups.

Also, just like TBradley said, I think you should have a clear-cut, convincing idea of why people should come to your company and not go to the others.
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

Quote Originally Posted by lewis2005 View Post
    Hello,

Why would people come to my web hosting company instead of the large ones like hostgator, justhost... ??
    justhost large ? all they do is rent a few liquidweb servers then mass oversell that services to pay the bills if that's your idea of a large host then you need to rethink that strategy...

Because you can offer things that the larger providers can't. What? That's for you to find out and offer. What makes you succeed is if you can bring something else to the table that no one can't. Something new or unheard of. Large providers seem to always leave customers out of the loop or never personally take care of their clients. Smaller providers seem to care more about their customer and actually listen to their problems and help them take care of it.
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

My clients love the personal attention! I think that is a big difference between larger companies and smaller ones; the ability for rapport to exist. As the CEO and founder of WiredWebWork.com I try and personally build rapport with all of my clients and in a lot of cases it's my outgoing attitude and friendliness which will lead to closing the deal as opposed to the lowest pricing or best features.

If you can't answer that question yourself, what are you doing hosting?
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

Quote Originally Posted by lewis2005 View Post
    Hello,

The key is what makes you different - as an example, are you using SSD drives versus SATA - and how does that matter? Why is associated with a niche - what is yours?
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Because you'd provide better treatment and probably better support for your customers, unlike many of the oversellers they can find around. Smaller Shared web hosts just need to find a way to find customers without overselling.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I think every single small host know that answer, and I think you know it too, you just want to see what other people have to say, its ok.

Even if you offer the same exact things that big hosts offer, even if your prices are higher people will still come to you, its mainly because you can offer better customer relationship and better support, those happily customers will spread the word and so on.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

What can you offer that others cant?

Not to say that big companies can't achieve this with dedicated account managers and the like, but most people like small companies as they deal with regular people and get to know them etc.

That is the answer you need to provide people with. If people have to tell you why they would choose you .. they probably wouldn't. Best of luck!

As a customer, I love the attention I get from smaller hosting companies. I think it's great that I can build a connection with the staff and pretty much know everyone on a first name basis. It's that trust and relationship that really just wins for me.

I would rather go with a small company than a big one though. Mainly for the dedication and attention I get and don't get from bigger hosts.

~w

Quote Originally Posted by cpanellover View Post
    justhost large ? all they do is rent a few liquidweb servers then mass oversell that services to pay the bills if that's your idea of a large host then you need to rethink that strategy...
    Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. I'd stop posting, you look silly.

If you can't answer that question, you shouldn't be in the industry, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    If you can't answer that question, you shouldn't be in the industry, sorry.
    Agreed. You need to be able to tell your clients what you are asking us.
    Niches are healthy in all industries, look at Apple, they have just a sliver of the PC market still.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. I'd stop posting, you look silly.
    ooh yeah ? how about some evidence ? here post #10 interesting...

this is an oversell everything unlimited lol that's not even possible

Quote Originally Posted by cpanellover View Post
    ooh yeah ? how about some evidence ? here post #10 interesting...

this is an oversell everything unlimited lol that's not even possible
    Now you just look really silly. Where is the evidence of the 'couple servers' ? i'm quite sure they have way more. Of course they oversell, but that's their business model and it's surely a better model than anything you've come up so far. Please don't pass on false information across web hosting talk, we don't need to under education anyone here. Do your research before you start talking down on JustHost. Last I recall they are a pretty big provider and bigger than a lot of the companies on this forum.

by the way, many providers use their ToS to cover their CPU usage. Of course no one can offer unlimited hosting, anyone who falls for it and truely believes it's unlimited needs to...

i mean come on, you really think there is an unlimited hard drive out there?

They state unlimited because they give you the unlimited space for you to use however, if you reach a certain point of usage you're stopped, so you don't affect the performance of the server. make sense?

I really don't know what post 10 of the link you showed us is suppose to tell us...
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

JustHost has several hundred shared servers.

With a small hosting company you get some love, a lot of laughs, some hand-holding, and a whole lot of encouragement

With large hosting providers you get legalese!
    An ITX Design Hosting Company
    FFmpeg Hosting
    http://itxdesign.com
    tel. (866)-577-1442

Funny I found this threat - I was listening to a podcast earlier this evening and they were talking about this very thing. As it has been said 10 times or more on this thread, folks like to get to know the smaller companies. They get more of a personal experience/relationship.
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks