Thread: VPS advice

VPS advice

hi all

Ive been looking for a suitable VPS in the UK but dont seem to be having much luck to be honest

the majority of providers at decent prices usually only do unmanaged but i want managed and most are charging £50+ a month for management!!

i have found a couple of places that do a decent package and management for about £10 a month but these are small company's or just starting out and i cant find a lot of info on them the last thing i want is for them to shut shop without warning and me loose and work!!

also how easy/hard is it to manage a VPS? i will only be using it for one forum and not hosting any other sites on it and would have cpanel installed too

any help greatly appreciated and any recomendations

thanks stu

I would recommend raising your budget if your sites are important to you Stu....or just go with a quality shared provider.

well my budget is £60 a month which i think is a decent amount to be fair but must of that can be taken up by the management side!

im on a shared server now paying £25 a month with less then 200 websites on the server

its ok raising the budget but its finding the money to pay for that budget too!

Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    well my budget is £60 a month which i think is a decent amount to be fair but must of that can be taken up by the management side!

im on a shared server now paying £25 a month with less then 200 websites on the server

its ok raising the budget but its finding the money to pay for that budget too!
    1GB CPanel Managed VPS with FutureHosting in the UK for around 22 quid! Great value for money from a top tier provider....get the discount code in the offers section though.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    1GB CPanel Managed VPS with FutureHosting in the UK for around 22 quid! Great value for money from a top tier provider....get the discount code in the offers section though.

hmmm thanks for that i will look into it

hmmm thanks for that i will look into it
    Here's a speedtest for you!

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Here's a speedtest for you!
    just had a quick look and it navigates so effortless

is that your forum? do you know the spec of the VPS

just had a quick look and it navigates so effortless

is that your forum? do you know the spec of the VPS
    The forum belongs to a friend of mine....and the VPS is a 2GB Titanium. But bear in mind there's also about 70 other sites (all Joomla) on there as well.

For your needs the 1GB would be more than enough.

my vote is for FutureHosting

By looking at the statement you are new to VPS environment. Obviously managed service is important to you. Should you limited yourself to UK host or willing to consider other host in EU region? if yes, there are many good host around the region. Perhaps, 10 ~ 20 pounds is sufficient for you to get with managed services.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Im happy with KnownSRV, there managment comes free with any vps plan

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    By looking at the statement you are new to VPS environment. Obviously managed service is important to you. Should you limited yourself to UK host or willing to consider other host in EU region? if yes, there are many good host around the region. Perhaps, 10 ~ 20 pounds is sufficient for you to get with managed services.
    I've had a VPS before but was managed and only had it for a month so didn't have to do anything

I've never had to do anything to do with a server so management would make life easy for me and to be honest I haven't really looked that far in to it really so not sure if I could manage it myself!

Almost all my users are in the UK so thought it would be best to have the server in the UK? Or would I not notice any difference?

If you base on ms (or ping) definitely you will see the difference in latency. As for webpage, the loading time much affect by other factors such as traffic, how busy the server is......and so on.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

So I'm probably not going to see a difference really then or the users won't ?

If not then that's just opened the choice up a bit :-)

My advice..stay away from 123systems

Latency is not a huge issue for websites. Generally, the maximum difference will be 100ms or 1/10 of a second even if you go off-shore. That's the least of your concerns when it comes to page loading times. You'd be having issues with VoIP applications, but not with a typical website.

Your biggest concern should be service quality. Read the reviews, make sure the staff speaks proper English (or that you speak their language), make sure that they aren't overprovisioning and that the region in question has a proper infrastructure. Also, be mindful of security, especially if sensitive data is involved.
    Ilija - Caneris Inc. - Shared, Dedicated, VPS and Colo

are you looking at cPanel based VPS? other option is get unmanaged VPS then get service of 3rd party management company some charge from $15 per VPS likes of bobcares, webbycat etc.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    are you looking at cPanel based VPS? other option is get unmanaged VPS then get service of 3rd party management company some charge from $15 per VPS likes of bobcares, webbycat etc.

ideally yes

im already using cPanel and know my way round it and would be pretty easy to move things across

yes that sounds like a good idea too i will check those out

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder21 View Post
    My advice..stay away from 123systems
    May I know your reason for making such a vague statement?
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com