space and bandwidth limits

I'm looking for a host for a new website for a film school in India.

I've had some great feedback from this forum on providers.

Something that is confusing me between providers is the different limits to their service.

For example, MDD hosting provides 30 Gb storage and 720 Gb bandwidth for about $10 a month.

For the same amount, Medialayer provides 500mb storage and 10 gb bandwidth.

What I am wondering is, are these smaller amounts enough for my site, and are the bigger offerings by other hosting providers really just marketing ploy - i.e. most sites don't actually use that much space and bandwidth, but the big numbers look impressive?

Most people on this forum who complain about the need to upgrade, seem to do so based on CPU usage, rather than space/bandwidth....

My site will be based on WP. I imagine that most of the bulkier content (videos etc) would live on other sites such as youtube.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ISFM View Post
    For the same amount, Medialayer provides 500mb storage and 10 gb bandwidth.
    MediaLayer is generally considered a premium provider and this is reflected in their price per MB of their services including their disk space and bandwidth limits. You can certainly get more for less, but if their plans will meet your needs and you can afford them they wouldn't be a bad decision.

What I am wondering is, are these smaller amounts enough for my site, and are the bigger offerings by other hosting providers really just marketing ploy - i.e. most sites don't actually use that much space and bandwidth, but the big numbers look impressive?
    It's really hard to tell you what will be good for your site, if it's a brand new site likely anything over 50 MB would be sufficient. What you need to keep in mind is having the ability to upgrade as needed.

It is true that only 1% or so of customers use what they're allocated or come close but that isn't to say they can't use it if they want to. Those 1% who are using their full allocations certainly aren't having any issues or they wouldn't be in that 1%.

Most people on this forum who complain about the need to upgrade, seem to do so based on CPU usage, rather than space/bandwidth....
    This is true because when it comes to budget/cheaper providers you're going to hit CPU and Memory limits before you hit disk and transfer limits in most cases. When you go with more of a premium provider you're less likely to hit those limits but the limits are generally still there.

My site will be based on WP. I imagine that most of the bulkier content (videos etc) would live on other sites such as youtube.
    The only way to know is to give it a try, worst case is that you can always shift to another provider or upgrade your plan.

Any thoughts?
    Provided
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Look at more than the storage and bandwidth. Other considerations: What equipment? Location? SLAs? Bandwidth Speeds (not volume)? etc.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Hostgator launched their branch site in India. you may check out if you like to be hosted in India.