BBB - worth the cost?

Is BBB worth the cost? Also, how much is BBB they would not ever get back to me on this which is why I question if customers even see value into their program and sign up if you are A rate just because you have it?

No, the BBB is not worth the cost. I would register with the BBB, but accreditation is not neccesary if you have good business practices. You get a spiffied up profile and a + sign next to the A, but if you have good business practices and address all your complains you can still maintain an A. The BBB is a marketing group, and a scam at that. They solicited the owner of my day job(Heavy Hammer New Media Solutions in Annapolis, MD - look it up) and they continuously solicited us until he told them to buzz off - they slapped us with an F for almost 5 years... it took our CFO a good bit of negotiating to get them to reflect our accurate rating. On the downside the BBB is trusted by a lot of naive people, and a poor rating can be detrimental to business.
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

Sadly, i can't even explain how many adults I know that find the BBB to be super duper credible.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hobgood View Post
    No, the BBB is not worth the cost. I would register with the BBB, but accreditation is not neccesary if you have good business practices. You get a spiffied up profile and a + sign next to the A, but if you have good business practices and address all your complains you can still maintain an A. The BBB is a marketing group, and a scam at that. They solicited the owner of my day job(Heavy Hammer New Media Solutions in Annapolis, MD - look it up) and they continuously solicited us until he told them to buzz off - they slapped us with an F for almost 5 years... it took our CFO a good bit of negotiating to get them to reflect our accurate rating. On the downside the BBB is trusted by a lot of naive people, and a poor rating can be detrimental to business.
    Indeed, here's a video about the BBB on 20/20:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

I wonder if you can file a BBB complaint on the BBB?

We just got accredited with them, its really a scam, but some folks really like that assurance.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

If you register do you get a profile and the ability to have the icon on your website? What are the costs just for registering with them? I too have heard things not so great about the BBB however have heard great things about "Dunns & Bradstreet".

It depends on your market in my opinion. My local customers really appreciate the fact that we're BBB accredited, and we actually get many people hitting our BBB site per day. The BBB notifies you when someone opens your profile page on BBB.org, but they don't tell you any information about who the visitor was or where they came from.
    Wayne Reavill. CEO,
    WebHostingBuzz.com

D&B is totally different from BBB. D&B is a busienss credit rating service.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

My Mom used to be an arbitrator for the BBB, so I can't complain too much about them LOL - but I don't like the way they market their accreditation process.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

BBB's registration files are on their website. I don't believe there is a fee associated with it, or at least I didn't get that far when I first attempted registration. I mailed it in, and they responded indicating time in business must be greater than one year in order to be registered. I could register now but I'm not too worried about it to be honest.
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

BBB is a joke these days.Anyone can get it if they pay a bit more.
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hobgood View Post
    That's a crazy story. Honestly, I always thought that the BBB was trustworthy, guess I have another thing coming. Does the BBB really make that much of a difference when doing business? I rarely check businesses out, but I'm not the most normal person.

It really depends on your target market - I think that it could be helpful if you target local individuals/companies
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Active View Post
    If you register do you get a profile and the ability to have the icon on your website? What are the costs just for registering with them? I too have heard things not so great about the BBB however have heard great things about "Dunns & Bradstreet".
    I use to work for D&B what do you want to know about them. Depends on your business size if you can get onto the sbs.dnb.com.

This is mostly for corporations, what are you looking to use it for?

Each company is assigned a duns number which is your company identity at D&B. What then happens is they track your tendency to pay bills what your credit score is and a variable of other ratings to show the risk of doing business with them.
    Last edited by Techy; 07-20-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Doug, Sales Leader
    VPS | KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    99.999% Uptime | 24x7x365 Support | Global Data Centers
    www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

I wanted to get accredited a few years back. Looked into it and saw the nightmares of other businesses so I've decided to stay away from it as long as I can. Eventually, I know I'm going to be forced into it in order to get that A+, if they threaten to take away an A. Really sad to see so many people trust it, I know I did up until I looked into the process.

Seems like just about anyone can pay a little bit to get an A+, when honest companies who don't pay end up with an F. Hopefully, with more stories (like the 20/20 one) the BBB will loose their own credibility.

After reading this post, I felt like many of you contradict abt BBB, but it's true. You get an A+ for a price+

This sucks, I rely on them but now I'm certain that I won't.
    Rg Enzon, Founder & Designer @ Play Technica
    Building user interfaces for humans.