Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    We're Still Here..

    Hi all! I'm a product manager at Tripod.com and I wanted to get some insight from all of you on WHT who have had experience in the Web Hosting realm and know your stuff! What we've been facing is a lot of "Tripod still exists?" and what I'd like to learn from all of you is how you as a savvy user of different Web Hosting services (or even a first time user!) selects their hosting service.

    Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    CGI/Perl Support. Do you even have PHP/MYSQL support? That's more better than CGI/Perl these days. You don't have much space/bandwidth for the money either in my opinion.

  3. #3
    Wow I didn't realise you guys were still going, I used Tripod back in like 1998.

    Your pricing isn't too high but I would expect to receive very good tech support at those prices.
    Accelerated Hosting - From Constant Internet
    Automatically serving your website from the nearest server
    Get hosted on our global network! America / Europe / Asia

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by CI-Andrew View Post
    Wow I didn't realise you guys were still going, I used Tripod back in like 1998.

    Your pricing isn't too high but I would expect to receive very good tech support at those prices.
    That and maybe MySQL, since so many web apps use MySQL; WordPress as a popular example.

    I don't even see it listed there... or I'm blind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryville Tennessee
    Posts
    1,906
    Man, I didn't think you guys were around anymore. One of the first websites I ever did was on Tripod.

    If you haven't already done it, I suggest you do a complete overhaul of your current site + services. I know one of the things you were big on years ago was your site builder, if that is still going I would definitely update that with some new templates.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,807
    What kind of VPS hosting does lycos do in EU?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    Man, I didn't think you guys were around anymore. One of the first websites I ever did was on Tripod.

    If you haven't already done it, I suggest you do a complete overhaul of your current site + services. I know one of the things you were big on years ago was your site builder, if that is still going I would definitely update that with some new templates.
    We're definitely amping up our site & service with updates and are constantly working on the UI. We've found that our customer base is largely interested in our web builder and having a simple way to make a site without having to know about PHP and MYSQL, but this doesn't mean that we haven't thought about implementing it. It's great that many of you have brought it up because it has been something we've bounced around but again, currently it's something we don't offer because of what our current users need so it would mean going in a different direction from where we are running right now, but it doesn't mean that's not possible, it just may not be on our roadmap for quite some time.

    I really appreciate all of your feedback (and hearing that some of you even used us way back when!). I like to hear from all of you, although we may not currently offer all that you need, ideas from all experiences of users help to make our service better for our current customers who may have varying needs as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryville Tennessee
    Posts
    1,906
    Honestly, I feel that Tripod is a niche host, they cater more to the users that need a builder and want to "do it themselves". That being said, I don't see a reason to compete with other hosts on PHP+MySQL. I would say that at one time you were at the top of your niche, now you just have to figure how to make it back to the top. One thing I have personally noticed is Flash Based Web Builders such as Wix, that might even be something to look into!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,332
    Wow, I used tripod back in like...2002? lol
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    Honestly, I feel that Tripod is a niche host, they cater more to the users that need a builder and want to "do it themselves". That being said, I don't see a reason to compete with other hosts on PHP+MySQL. I would say that at one time you were at the top of your niche, now you just have to figure how to make it back to the top. One thing I have personally noticed is Flash Based Web Builders such as Wix, that might even be something to look into!
    Agreed, we're in an interesting place where we may not offer as much as the likes of FatCow or GoDaddy in terms of PHP & MySQL, but we still allow FTP and CGI/Perl support which sets us apart from smaller website builders (see our dilemma!).

    You bring up a good point with the trend of Flash Based builders and Wix. What do you think about the trend in the personal profile sites like about.me or flavors.me (obviously something completely different, too)?

  11. #11
    Holy crap! Just checked out Tripod and Angelfire's still around too! Built my first site on Angelfire back in the 90s...

    Is NostalgiaHost.com taken?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •