Techni host [SCAM]

Beware technihost.com Techni Host

Recently, I was in the market for a dedi or vps and found techni hose. I spoke to someone for an hour or so, on their support, that seemed like a decent guy. Anyways, he found me a plan, and sent me a link to pay with paypal. Luckily, I've always set paypal payments for stuff like this as "goods" just in case.

I was told I would be set up in 2 hours initially, but then he claimed 5 hours. This was for a 108$ dedi, mind you. After 24 hours, I was a bit nervous and sent a ticket. The response was "they are waiting for ram from UPS... it would arrive any moment". This was on Sunday, btw. Red flag number one... no UPS on Sundays.

I waited another day, and sent quite a snide ticket asking for a refund and was ignored. I immediately put a claim in to paypal. I went back a few hours later, and they had deleted my ticket. Well, being the great guy I am, I put in two more tickets telling them exactly what steps I would take (except one). I waited another day.

The claim I put in to paypal was not for "services" but for the "goods". I called paypal and told the woman on the phone my situation, and asked her to mark down that I paid for the server, not the service. A server is very physical, and exists. Paypal doesn't refund for services but they sure do refund for servers. I had not received it in the promised time. I also emailed her the chat logs where I was promised the server in 2-5 hours.

Well, they responded to my paypal claim (techni host) claiming no refunds would be given because it is against their TOS!

"we have a no refund policy on dedicated server refund solutions. You can take a look at our TOS page at technihost.com/tos.html thank you Kirk"

OH NOES, they won! I lost my money and was scammed!

Not quite. Paypal scoffs at any TOS but their own.

After Technihost escalated it for paypals judgement, I immediately called paypal. They looked at their notes from my phonecall before, and immediately issued me a refund.

Anyways, yes, I am proud of myself for avoiding Techni Host's scam but I am also writing this to let everyone know to be careful and avoid this host! Also, I wanted to share this little trick I learned to help protect ourselves from individuals such as Technihost.

(I purposely wrote Techni Host and Technihost in two different ways and included their domain name so people could search and find this post should they be thinking of buying from them.)
    Last edited by jisaacs1207; 06-15-2011 at 02:55 PM.

How long did you wait before starting a paypal claim?

I cannot see any dedicated servers on the website only VPS and shared plans
    Last edited by parky1; 06-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.

I waited about 48 hours from the point where they refused to return my emails or reply to support tickets.

They only offer vps stuff from their site, but when I spoke to support and told them about the system requirements I needed they suggested a dedi and offered me one.

jisaacs1207, if you actually tried searching this site for TechniHost or something like that before you made the order with them you would have saved yourself a whole lot of frustration and also the phone calls to PayPal and etc.

Why? Well... you should just try doing a search and you'll know what I mean. LOL. Instead of going to Techni Host, why don't you just go to anyone of the people here in the forum? Most if not all the active members here are reliable in their Server Offerings.

By the way, just out of curiosity what made you talk to Techni Host in the 1st place? How come you suddenly talked to them? Was there something advertised or etc?

Do tell us about it. Would be nice to know.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

check our post they screw us for over $100 and yes paypal give them the money damm f.... paypal . they are a bigg fraud stay away .
    DDOS Protected - SSD KVM VDS & Storage KVM VDS.
    http://rackhost.co

Do a chargeback and clearly explain to the bank why you are doing the chargeback if PayPal ruled in their favor. They can't just say their TOS states no refund so they don't have to refund. That is illegal and you should report them for fraud.

A dedicated server rental is not a purchase of goods but a virtual service. You do not buy the server itself.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    Do a chargeback and clearly explain to the bank why you are doing the chargeback if PayPal ruled in their favor. They can't just say their TOS states no refund so they don't have to refund. That is illegal and you should report them for fraud.
    You sure do enjoy instructing others to do a chargeback and claim fraud.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    What else would you call paying for a service and not receiving it? Good service? I mean come on, technihost was shut down by burstnet for not paying their bills. I would say they are a fraud if they say they have something or can get something and then don't deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    You don't think the OP has a case for a chargeback? To the OP, file the chargeback and let the credit card company deal with it, when you file a chargeback, you can include a written statement on why you are disputing the charge. If the bank agree with you, you will get your money back, if not, then you won't get your money back. That's how a chargeback works. You're not committing fraud when filing a chargeback, rather you are exercising your right to dispute a charge.

You don't think the OP has a case for a chargeback? To the OP, file the chargeback and let the credit card company deal with it, when you file a chargeback, you can include a written statement on why you are disputing the charge. If the bank agree with you, you will get your money back, if not, then you won't get your money back. That's how a chargeback works. You're not committing fraud when filing a chargeback, rather you are exercising your right to dispute a charge.
    THE OP HAS BEEN REFUNDED.

Learn to read the topic. Charging back after a PayPal dispute settled in your favor is ludicrous .

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    THE OP HAS BEEN REFUNDED.

Learn to read the topic. Charging back after a PayPal dispute settled in your favor is ludicrous .
    Do a chargeback and clearly explain to the bank why you are doing the chargeback if PayPal ruled in their favor.

That was what I originally wrote, you need to read the topic also.

Do a chargeback and clearly explain to the bank why you are doing the chargeback if PayPal ruled in their favor.

That was what I originally wrote, you need to read the topic also.
    Read the OP:

After Technihost escalated it for paypals judgement, I immediately called paypal. They looked at their notes from my phonecall before, and immediately issued me a refund.
    He says in the original post that he was refunded by PayPal. Your comment was pointless.

I was refunded, because I had sort of prepared for this. I know now it would be wiser to research the host here but what drew me to technihost was their ad on digitalpoint. I originally was shopping there. You live, you learn. I am going to work through this site now.

Now, as for the chargeback... I am aware that the rental of a dedi is a service and not physical good but I am also aware of paypals policies. Their representatives have the policy of, "Give us a reason to help you... any reason... and we will."

When I paid for the dedi, I clicked "goods". When I spoke to the rep, I said I was buying the physical space and use/existence of a physical server which would be mine. I was renting a physical computer. That obviously was enough for her, because she put in notes that it was a physical thing and not service. I did all of this when I smelled trouble brewing, but before I placed the claim.

When I did place the claim, I called paypal again and asked them to check my claim and the notes about the account left with the last representative. They issued me a refund right off.

To work with paypal, you need to know their TOS/methods and how to work with it to your advantage if something goes wrong. The scammers do, so why shouldn't we?

I have visited the website of 2-3 days. Even I also have not found any dedicated server. This website is only showing about VPS and some shared plans for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    Read the OP:

He says in the original post that he was refunded by PayPal. Your comment was pointless.

I don't feel it was pointless, I am giving a heads-up to other people who may be in similar situation that they have a right to file a chargeback if they do not get what they purchased.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    I have visited the website of 2-3 days. Even I also have not found any dedicated server. This website is only showing about VPS and some shared plans for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaacs1207 View Post
    They only offer vps stuff from their site, but when I spoke to support and told them about the system requirements I needed they suggested a dedi and offered me one.
    I explained that a little further up.

Really strange but I really do not see an option to sell a dedicated server. I visited the site and see that it offers VPS and shared hosting. All existing links I clicked but no trace of posvjećenog server. Sorry friend but I suspect why and how you buy something that does not exist on the site. Maybe you can give a link where you read that they are offering dedicated server?

Not too sure why you brought up this thread again but TechniHost was at that time selling Dedicated Servers. However it seems that they basically killed themselves off because they cheated quite a few companies(host providers) on their servers and payment was an issue or etc.

Something like that happened and thus it's my guess that they are not selling it anymore because nobody would trust them or would give them credit at all.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com