hosting options around $10/month

Hi,

i am looking for a host for a WP based website for a film school.

I'm looking for something around $10 a month, but that has the option to scale up if the site is successful.

I am looking at:

A Small Orange
    Laughing Squid
    Medialayer
    Liquid Web

I'm hoping for a smaller company with good service. We are based in India, which is a 12 hour difference to the US, so if we have an issue in the morning, i'd rather not have to wait until night to get an answer.

Any feedback on these? Is there anyone else

Medialayer is good.. LiquidWeb is not small by any means, and neither is A small orange.

Good luck finding a host!

EDIT: Protip - a company that offers little resources probably (key word being probably) will have better service.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

$10 is a decent budget, and if it's shared hosting your after then most of the providers who are repeatedly recommended on here will be within your budget.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    $10 is a decent budget, and if it's shared hosting your after then most of the providers who are repeatedly recommended on here will be within your budget.
    Very true, but WHT is not the only place to find a hosting company. Keep that in mind.

Finding a local company can be nice sometimes.. especially if you have an issue.. then you can just pop by their office and say hey.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

How do you classify small? Having a monthly revenue of around XXX-thousands?

Coz if that is small, I am tiny. LOL. Your list is kinda having a HUGE company and 1 bigger company and 2 medium ones.

LiquidWeb = HUGE
    A Small Orange = Big
    others... medium.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

I would recommend you to go with HostGator. Many blogger from India use HostGator, most of them are happy customers. What's more, Hostgator just open their site in India, which definitely help on customer support

Out of those choices, MediaLayer would be my choice. They also have a Singapore data center, which is good for your needs.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Actually, 'small' was probably the wrong word to use... not very useful.

i suppose i was thinking of a company that would be a little more flexible in their service.

Can anyone comment on these ones i've shortlisted? They all seemed to have good reviews on these forums, is there any recent news about them?

You should contact a few hosts that you find and talk to them directly. I would suggest not buying from the first one to talk you into it. Call around, or talk with a few on live chat. It is an easy way to communicate directly and find out if they can meet your needs. Once you talk to a few then make a decision. Just my personal thoughts.

Using a big company isn't always a bad thing although, it seems that support is somewhat lacking. Using a host with unlimited resources is signing up with a company that wasn't honest enough to just tell you up front that they are actually very limited.

Good luck in your search.
    DFGHOSTING.COM 1-866-376-4637
    Cpanel/WHM | SVN/Trac | Softaculous | Fantastico | Word Press and phpBB Design and Development
    Professional Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Live Video Support | Live Chat Support | End User Web Site Support | No Over selling!

Quote Originally Posted by ISFM View Post

i suppose i was thinking of a company that would be a little more flexible in their service.

Can anyone comment on these ones i've shortlisted? They all seemed to have good reviews on these forums, is there any recent news about them?
    I was with ASO for 3 years back in the early days when Tim started it up. I liked them, and only left because I'd outgrown all the reseller options and they couldn't provide a managed VPS.
    What they're like now....I've no idea.

Personally, based on current recommendations and my own personal experience, I'd take a good look at MDDHosting for your requirements.....I don't think you'll disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ISFM View Post

Have you tried doing any searches for bad reviews on the companies you have listed? I would recommend going on google and specifically looking for bad reviews (always good to get both sides of the story). Of course always take both negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt, but the negative reviews always tend to be more genuine, than the positive reviews and its always interesting to see how the company reacts to a negative situation. Once you have thoroughly analyzed both sides of the story, I recommend you contact all the companies you have listed and see which one makes the better impression on you?

Either way, best of luck!
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

If you have to go with one of the companies in your list. you can consider liquidweb from the various reviews in this forum.

I prefer a Popular and a Supportive Host

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Very true, but WHT is not the only place to find a hosting company. Keep that in mind.
    You are right ! But it is a nice spot to find a good one . Not only the reviews , but also suggestions by the customers who already used the services. I am sure most of the reviews and sayings by posters are honest

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Finding a local company can be nice sometimes.. especially if you have an issue.. then you can just pop by their office and say hey.
    In my opinion , there is no guarantee if they might help you in some situations. A large and popular company always worry about their reputation . So they employ Experts and tries their level best not to trouble their customers in any cause

So my vote is for a Popular host with Good support staff and reputation

My belief :

Companies with Good reputation are not always the Best.But Companies with Good support are best for ever.

Thank you!

I would recommend hostgator. Great prices, good support but when your traffic grows you may need to look elsewhere or raise your budget...