Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DomainNameInvesting View Post
    I think it's really important to mention that cloud and VPS are very similar. The main difference is that a VPS is on one server and with a cloud server they are distributed across multiple computers and load balancing is performed.
    This one really quotes the diff between VPS and Cloud... +1
    Outsourcing Nepal, for :
    Hosting, Domain Registration and Offshore application development solution.

The only way cloud can handle ddos, is if the provider you are with has a big enough pipe, and that they are happy with you chewing up the bandwidth. For a lot of clouds out there, it's single location, so a ddos will have the same effect as it would on a typical vps server. Amazon have pretty big pipes. I'd guess that a lot of companies selling cloud servers, with a 2Gb ddos incoming, would still be null routing you, you'd need to add a ddos service or proxy to the mix to survive. Hourly/usage billing could get kind of expensive too during such an event..

There are many benefits of using a cloud service (and I'm talking about a real cloud service - not some imitation cloud service that is really a VPS) over a dedicated server and a VPS. IMO the only advantage a VPS has over a cloud service is most likely price and maybe improved I/O (this really depends on the specs of the server hosting the VPS).

Those are great starting points for highlighting the benefits of cloud computing. Converting to the cloud is a popular trend among both businesses and individuals seeking centralized and efficient methods for data sharing and storage. Geographically independent access is another major benefit since cloud computing allows data access from a web browser anytime, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mazedk View Post
    Actually, it went pretty well - was a part of my final project for my education, and I got a "12" which basically equals an A in the danish grade scale.

I didnt run into any questions I wasnt able to answer, one of the guys overseeing it was quite interested in which types of services are - and arent - optimal to provide in a cloud.. Was quite an interesting discussion actually
    Post your presentation on the web I'd like to see it or email it to me...?
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Main advantage is that it is scalable. Security and cost are two weaknesses that will hopefully develop over time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeakWebHosting View Post
    Main advantage is that it is scalable. Security and cost are two weaknesses that will hopefully develop over time.
    Any examples of security breaches or problems that result specifically from someone using a cloud versus non-cloud architecture?

Eric
    Genesis Hosting Solutions, LLC (genesishosting.com)
    Genesis Public Cloud - No Compromise On-Demand OpenStack infrastructure
    Genesis VMs - Easy to provision single VMs on our Genesis Public Cloud
    Compare us against others at vpsbenchmarks.com!

Quote Originally Posted by erickmiller View Post
    Any examples of security breaches or problems that result specifically from someone using a cloud versus non-cloud architecture?

Eric
    I was thinking the same thing. A number of people have made certain comments without actually backing up those comments. I also think many people have made certain statements without either testing a real cloud setup or understanding what a real cloud setup consists of.

No wonder so many people are confused about clouds.

Ya, I'm thinking it's been more lip-service than anything, but here's a paper from Tavis Ormandy at Google http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf

And things like this don't help

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename...=CVE-2007-4993

In part, the hoopla is more about virt vs non-virt. Unless you're in a regulated environment and need to audit this for legal reasons, the real risks of dom0 being compromised in a cloud is much lower than your admin using the root password 's3cr3t'.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Ya, I'm thinking it's been more lip-service than anything, but here's a paper from Tavis Ormandy at Google http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf

Any idea when that paper was written? The popular Microsoft offering that was masked used a WIndows 2000 host. I was thinking Hyper-V at first and began to worry. Obviously the paper is no longer relevant for any of the current offerings of the companies listed in the test(s).

Quote Originally Posted by PCTechMe View Post
    Any idea when that paper was written? The popular Microsoft offering that was masked used a WIndows 2000 host. I was thinking Hyper-V at first and began to worry. Obviously the paper is no longer relevant for any of the current offerings of the companies listed in the test(s).
    From the looks of the reference list, 2006/2007. Hyper-V, Xen, and VMWare from the nvd.nist.gov vulnerability list have cleared up somewhat over the last few years. The more recent ones are primarily DOS attacks from guests and exploits in the management tools themselves (rather than the hypervisor).

At that level then, you're operating at the same security risk as dedicated DCs and clouds make no difference in operations and audits.

Security

Quote Originally Posted by erickmiller View Post

Eric
    "Security Breaches" are not widely publicized. Actual security is only as
    good as the perceived security because both affect customer adoption.
    When you consider perceived security and the quality of cloud services vs.
    dedicated hardware you only need consider audits. PCI, SAS-70, etc will
    not pass in cloud infrastructure because of the shared nature of the
    hardware, shared login (cloud staff to hypervisor), access/tracking, etc.

I also wanted to add a few points,

1- HA can also be added to the cloud, as some suggested,
    2- You will have tremendous cost reduction for maintenance over years, as migration is easy due to the hardware independence nature of the cloud.
    3- You also can be fully redundant and service from two Datacenters and Vmotion is not the only option. you can use storage solutions like starwind or similar to them to sync your data to secondary location and at the same time be agnostic about the virtualization platform.

How are these thoughts for just the cloud?

1. HA is better suited for dedicated servers w/ dual power supplies and fully 2N architecture b/c you're not relying on cloud "code" which can fail.

2. What data is this based on? To say that the cloud has a tremendous cost reduction is flat out wrong. Peak servers are 1/15 the cost of cloud for equal usage. If you amortize hardware over a 3 year lease, it's far far cheaper than the cloud at any scale beyond development testing.

3. How is this thought unique to the cloud? Any managed hosting provider worth their salt will provide multiple bi-costal datacenters with SAN synchronization.

Well cloud is the next generation of hosting infrastructure and soon every company will start using this option.

What about the disadvantages

More importantly are the disadvantages.

For example on GAE you cannot open sockets, and you do not have one IP address, which can make whitelist management a pain.

Cloud gives you the option of flexibility. You can scale your resources according to your needs. Then it gives the biggest advantage less fail over time when comparing to a tradition setup.

Cloud gives you the option of flexibility.
    It is the major benefit of Cloud computing. It means that staff can access the files and data that they need even when they're working remotely and/or outside office hours.

Hello
    I have a VPS in Europe, due to my customers are from Greece
    Am currently testing a cloud server if is better and more reliable than my VPS
    Till now ping times are slower due cloud hosting server are in US and London
    Should i stay to my European VPS or move to cloud
    thanks in advance
    WordPress Greece | Athanasiadis
    The Hellenic Community of WordPress

Quote Originally Posted by dyrer View Post
    Hello
    I have a VPS in Europe, due to my customers are from Greece
    Am currently testing a cloud server if is better and more reliable than my VPS
    Till now ping times are slower due cloud hosting server are in US and London
    Should i stay to my European VPS or move to cloud
    thanks in advance
    Stay in your VPS and concentrate on getting a server you can redeploy easily (i.e. test your backup AND recovery procedure). A cloud will not protect you from catastrophic failure. At best, it will allow you to avoid having to invoke the recovery procedure as often. Also get a quality VPS provider.

If you're short on time or cash, then find a cloud with a SAN backed image; but if you just rely on that, you're playing Russian roulette with your service.

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    Yeah, Utility billing is kind of .... a joke. Because sometimes things arise and you may get completely hammered with a HUGE bill. a PHP script goes off the hook and maxes out your CPU resources 3 fold, and now your stick with a huge bill because of it.

Get what you need, like you do with cable TV. You watch these channels why would you buy 200 other channels you will only glance at as your looking for something to watch.

In some situations utility billing makes sense, but I personally don't think the internet business makes sense.
    It works out well for the people that have "cloudy" (pun intended lol) applications like
    i.e. running a huge render once per month and it's supposed to finish in 5 hours.

rent 5000 servers for 5 hours and you should really be saving a lot of money.

the same goes for big compute jobs (as long as they don't need any interconnect performance - which is what the cloud vendors won't normally tell you If you're latency bound a 200 node cluster at your site will beat 10000 or 100000 cloud instances ) or another example would be a build farm for software based on your own OS image.

of course this all only works if you select your cloud vendor wisely.
    i.e. on spotcloud one *could* pick the cheapest vendor, but spotcloud has it's own issues (like no SLA, forbidding any firewall, publicly known root password, meh).

Where I have to laugh is utility pricing for unused images that you haven't in use at the moment (i.e. at jiffybox).

I could imagine people will still make good use of utility pricing if they set up the prices in advance with a few select hosts. Like - you pick your favorite 4-5 clouds and "burst" to them according to what you need (cheap bw, cheap storage, HA, ...)

What do you think?
    Last edited by wartungsfenster; 08-09-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

SEO friendly?

but if the cloud server is deployed around the globe, does it means improvement in SEO? because I heard that SEO will only work if the server is located in that particular country

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    I could imagine people will still make good use of utility pricing if they set up the prices in advance with a few select hosts. Like - you pick your favorite 4-5 clouds and "burst" to them according to what you need (cheap bw, cheap storage, HA, ...)

What do you think?
    Cloud-bursting is in use today. Even an inverted cloud-burst is a viable option for certain cases. For example, Zynga launches any new IP on their cloud side since it won't affect their capacity planning in their own DC. Until they know better what usage they'll get out of a new game, they'll leave it there since it's still cheaper than going through the provisioning process.

On the flip side, choosing too many cloud burst providers is a bit of a headache since almost none of them have the same api layer. You'd need an intermediary like Rightscale in order to do that without sinking too much cost yourself.

A good benefit that is often overlooked are avoiding procurement roadblocks. Cloud computing allows you to go straight to the provider of all the infrastructure resources in order to run a system. This of course would save the subscriber alot of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by DomainNameInvesting View Post
    I think it's really important to mention that cloud and VPS are very similar. The main difference is that a VPS is on one server and with a cloud server they are distributed across multiple computers and load balancing is performed.
    Yes, there is almost no downtime because if a server crashes, there are many more running and the cloud hosting software can just direct the traffic to another server. Where else if your dedicated server crashes, your entire website will be down. Even a short reboot of your dedicated server will cause a short downtime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12