move domain to VPS by changing DNS but keep old emails

Hi guys,
    I need to move a couple of personal domains hosted at a reseller hosting site to my Windows VPS. I've created private DNS for my new VPS. I also had private DNS at the old reseller hosting.

The easiest way for me to move the domain is to point the DNS to the new private DNS. But is there any way for me to keep the old emails that exist at the reseller account?

I was told the best way is to change all email accounts to IMAP and sync with outlook. Then change the DNS of the domain. Create the same emails on the new server and sync with the new IMAP accounts.

The problem is I have 20+ email accounts and I'd rather not create the IMAP etc for all of them.

All help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jack23 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I need to move a couple of personal domains hosted at a reseller hosting site to my Windows VPS. I've created private DNS for my new VPS. I also had private DNS at the old reseller hosting.

The easiest way for me to move the domain is to point the DNS to the new private DNS. But is there any way for me to keep the old emails that exist at the reseller account?

I was told the best way is to change all email accounts to IMAP and sync with outlook. Then change the DNS of the domain. Create the same emails on the new server and sync with the new IMAP accounts.

The problem is I have 20+ email accounts and I'd rather not create the IMAP etc for all of them.

All help will be appreciated.
    Hmm - I was thinking "Just transfer via IMAP" but as I read on I see that you don't want to go that route for 20+ email accounts - understandable!

Perhaps your NEW host can assist you with the migration process?

What email servers were running on your reseller account and what email server are you running on your Windows plan?

Regards,
    Brian
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

Its smartermail on both. Do you think that helps?
    I don't have access to the configuration files on the old server and I doubt that the hosting company will give it to me.

In the Smartermail web interface they actually have a migration tool built in. I would give that a try .

Agree. Smartermail Pop3 retrieval feature is the solution
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise