Question Need help!!!! with internal search

Hi Guys/Gals,

I was wondering if somebody could assist me with the code for internal search. As I have never done internal search before.

Our website is in frames, the left hand side frame has all the categories and when clicked on any option it open the document or text in the middle frame.

Now i want the search to work is say if we type in the word Like for example Blackberry it should bring up the text on the middle frame.

I have searched Google and got totally confused. I also tried this link and seems very good but is very confusing "http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/SearchDotnet.aspx"

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps use Google custom search, that is pretty easy for new designers which is sounds like if your site is built out of frames which by the way is bad for seo.

Otherwise either create one from scratch or use a cms like Joomla.

Google custom search wont work as its an internal hosting.

here's the screenshot of website:
    http://i55.tinypic.com/ml6vs1.jpg
    Last edited by Harzem; 10-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.

It seems that all the "free" search scripts run from Perl and require you to let their server index your site. I am not sure if you can do this, being it's within your network. I did come across one called Simple Search.

It doesn't seem to be as simple as I'd like, but seems a perfect solution for you.

NOTE: The README file works best opened by Word or WordPad, not notepad.
    This Geeks Blog Site | | Need moral support? Got it HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Junk View Post
    It seems that all the "free" search scripts run from Perl and require you to let their server index your site. I am not sure if you can do this, being it's within your network. I did come across one called Simple Search.

It doesn't seem to be as simple as I'd like, but seems a perfect solution for you.

NOTE: The README file works best opened by Word or WordPad, not notepad.
    This is a pretty straight forward script to install, give it a try see if it dose the trick.

Tnx to all. If you see in the screenshot for the categories on the left hand side i have made individual .html page.
    For e.g. under babylon> when clicked on configuration it displays the frame on right hand side.

@T-Junk: which 1 i need to download and install?

Click this link and then click "download selected file". Make sure to read the README file with Word very carefully.

@T-Junk: the only pblm with this will be now that i cannot leave the header and all. do u have advise abt that?? Also as i mentioned that all my topics are .html can i add all of them. and how abt fitting it at the bottom of my page as u can see from the screenshot that where i want it.

Tnx a lot once again.

It appears that this search script searches for the title tags of the files. So, as long as the <title> tags are descriptive enough for searching purposes then it should work.

As far as positioning, everything should fit good, but it will take some tweaking on your part. The html search page was just a form, the .pl file appeared to do all the work. Thus, if you configure it to open in one of your frames and maybe inject a fixed variable in there for the BOOLEAN part, it SHOULD work.

tnx. n wht abt the Copyright and Header thing. can i remove that??

Being that its a basic intranet system that search engines and probably outsiders can't access, I think your safe. You might want to throw a thanks.html with his name in it, or donate to his PayPal for Karma, but that's up to you........