Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Urgent Help with EU/UK Dedicated Server.

Hi,

I am currently with RapidSwitch, who are serving me very well, never had an issue with them. However, due to the nature of the application I need to run on my server, it is reasonably old and does not have multi threading. So only runs on a single core. This is proving to be destroying a single core in todays modern CPUs as each core seems to be about 2.2-2.5ghz. Unfortunately the only high cpu speeds that RS offer are all Xeons and jump right out my budget.

I currently run a Dual Core 2.2ghz server with them with Windows server 2008 std.

I need something that will do what I need, and that is a server of which each core is at least 2.8ghz. Be is quad or dual I dont mind.

I have looked at 'RedStation' who provide the best value server for my requirements at £94/m, but I hear bad things about their connection speeds and bandwidth monitoring capabilities.

Does anyone know any good value hosts that may be able to provide something for under £90/m that has 3gb Ram, processor as above, with Windows 2008. HDD space is not a requirement, 80gb would do.

I will also consider EU hosts. I looked at Leaseweb, 61euros build would do me fine, but I always get weary of these cheap hosts as it usually means I will be racked up with seeders or something (like ovh).

If anyone can supply me something, let me know, this is a pretty urgent requirement as my lack of individual CPU speed is putting pressure on the service I am supplying.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

What are you requirements about bandwidth?

You budget is more then enough just look at offers section, you will get nice deal
    PraHost.com - Since 2007
    Dedicated Servers - 1GE / 10GE / 25GE / 40GE / 100GE Unmetered Bandwidth | Exclusive Adult & Streaming Friendly Servers
    Data Centers: Netherlands, Germany, UK, Singapore

Bandwidth I would be comfortable on 2TB, I use about 800gb a month, but need the safety of a busy period.

I was asking here to see if anyone had any larger hosting companies that can provide a good price. I need reliability and reasonable support. I will browse the offers though in case anything comes up.

Thanks,

are you looking for some location specific servers ?

Uk ideally. Else I will go to NL/DE.

Hosts aren't allowed to give you offers here, as per forum rules. They do however seem to often ask barely relevant questions in threads like these to get their signatures out there and then ultimately only go so far as to recommend that you look at the Dedicated Hosting Offers forum.

Visiting the Dedicated Hosting Offers forum is however a good idea. Have a look and if you find something interesting, research the company thoroughly.

I saw that you were doubtful about LeaseWeb because they are cheap. I have been with them for several years now and find them a rock-solid host. When I have needed support, they have been there for me. Have had some minor issues throughout the years, but all things considered my favourite host. If their network is filled with seeders, they aren't preventing me from reaching 100 Mbps whenever I need it.

Happy hunting.

Thats for the advice about Leaseweb MrX. Unless I can get a Xeon for a similar price, their G6950 has been my best hope so far, will consider this maybe.
    Last edited by PixelHero; 06-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.

I think snelserver is having a dual core special on, have a look on their website. DC in The Netherlands. Don't know if you're looking for managed or not.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

What is the application you are running? A common technique for scaling such apps is to run multiple instances on one server and then use nginx as a loadbalancer. Ugly but it works.

Poundhost and OVH might be other options for cheap mhz. Melbourne has a dell R200 3.0ghz for £75..
    Last edited by topgun; 06-14-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Running an emulator called Sphere for an old mmo game known as Ultima Online. It used to run great on a p4 4.0ghz but struggles on todays lower speed cores, and the developers dont seem to be worried about Multithreading it. I won't use OVH but thanks for the suggestion none the less. Ill have a look at Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelHero View Post
    I have looked at 'RedStation' who provide the best value server for my requirements at £94/m
    eUKhost offer Quad Core Intel Xeon X3430 i5 with 4GBRAM for £119/month.. 2.4GHz CPU but Quad Core...
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Completely not what I am looking for. Thanks. Replies not fitting with the asked requirements is one reason I would ignore a host entirely, desperation will not get you customers.

Anyone have any good/bad reviews on any of the UK suppliers and would recommend any? I just cant see why I should change my entire server with a host I am already with without having a look around to move - I'm going to have to move everything over either way.

I know this is above your budget, don't know if you looked at snelserver:

One CPU - Core i7 950, 4x 3.06 GHz (with HyperThreading)
    3x 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz (Total of 6 GB)
    2x 500 GB harddisks (7200 rpm)
    99 euros

or

One CPU - Core i3 550, 2x 3.2 GHz (with HyperThreading)
    2x 2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ECC Registered (Total of 4 GB)
    2x 500 GB harddisks (7200 rpm)
    79 Euros.

I always get pretty decent speeds with them.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Your budget should see you well in the UK. Do you have any specific requirements on RAM, hard disk(s) or RAID?

Good luck with your search
    Craig Messer - www.veloxserv.co.uk
    VeloxServ Communications Ltd - Company Number: 07357707 | VAT Number: GB 119 7652 89
    UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Rackspace, Web Hosting & Managed Services
    Wolverhampton and London UK

Thanks for replies.

I am probably going to be looking for a Core i3 550, just who with is my hardest choice.

Hi

Why not contact RS to see if they will do you a deal ?

or there is poundhost who are on the budget side of things.

Thanks

If you contact RapidSwitch they're usually happy to give a custom quote. The servers on their website are just a small selection of what they have to offer.

I did contact them, they said the only faster dual core than have was a high end Xeon, which they said I would need a new machine for, and wanted £130/m when I currently pay £54/m. Did not offer anything more than that, even after showing them Redstation prices for a similar set up.

They are usually good for meeting my needs, but this time seems they don't want to get any other dual cores in

What was the specification that Redstation offered you?

The Core i3 is an entry-level, desktop grade processor. I have just checked around the main providers that offer competitive prices, and if you could stretch your budget to around £100/month, you should be able to get a server with an X3400 series or an i7 (still a desktop processor, but a lot better than an i3) processor with Windows 2008 Standard.

I'd go along with Mr X's advice and look in the offers section. You should be able to find what you need in the UK.
    Michael Follett

Quote Originally Posted by mfollett View Post
    What was the specification that Redstation offered you?

The Core i3 is an entry-level, desktop grade processor. I have just checked around the main providers that offer competitive prices, and if you could stretch your budget to around £100/month, you should be able to get a server with an X3400 series or an i7 (still a desktop processor, but a lot better than an i3) processor with Windows 2008 Standard.

I'd go along with Mr X's advice and look in the offers section. You should be able to find what you need in the UK.
    The request is 1 strong core, not multiple. A Core i3 550 has only 2 cores, but it's 3.2 GHz per core. The X3400 and Core i7's are quadcores, their only advantage over the Core i3 is more cores.
    Snel.com Self-managed hosting provider
    Cloud VPS ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Colocation★
    Send an email to sales@snel.com. Call us at +31 88 3 088 099.

Thanks Snel Someone understands. I know it's an odd requirement.

Poundhost do a good price Intel Xeon E3110 3.0GHz. Would this out perform the I3 or not? Very close core speeds, but Xeon is not a desktop processor.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelHero View Post
    Thanks Snel Someone understands. I know it's an odd requirement.

Poundhost do a good price Intel Xeon E3110 3.0GHz. Would this out perform the I3 or not? Very close core speeds, but Xeon is not a desktop processor.
    It's not a very odd requirement, most CPUs nowadays sacrifice clockspeed in favor of cores - which sucks if you have single threaded applications.
    The Core i3 550 outperforms the E3110 by about 45% judging by current benchmarks. (and has HyperThreading)
    Last edited by Snelcom; 06-16-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Snel.com Self-managed hosting provider
    Cloud VPS ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Colocation★
    Send an email to sales@snel.com. Call us at +31 88 3 088 099.

Do you know any similar processors that out perform the i3, which may be available at a similar price? Just a guess would be all I need, no need to look into it :p

Quote Originally Posted by Snel IS View Post
    The request is 1 strong core, not multiple. A Core i3 550 has only 2 cores, but it's 3.2 GHz per core. The X3400 and Core i7's are quadcores, their only advantage over the Core i3 is more cores.
    Sorry, I misread the requirement. It's not as straight forward as clockspeed though, the performance of a CPU is based on several factors like cache size, bus speeds etc.

My point about the Core i3 being a CPU designed for a desktop enviroment is still valid though. A CPU designed for servers is designed to withstand higher usage and factors like heat generated in a data centre.
    Michael Follett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast