Question Parallels Plesk - What Can We Do Better?

Hi WebHostingTalk!

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the Control Panels Product Manager at Parallels. As a part of that, I help pass on to our teams what customers would like to see improve about the products and processes here at Parallels.

As I came into this position not too long ago (worked in technical support, development, and professional services before this), I wanted to introduce myself and request any and all feedback this community may have for us. We feel that we've made a number of improvements in the past few months alone, but there is always more we can do.

Our software caters to many different audiences. So, to help me understand your question or request, please let me how how you use Plesk (e.g. as a shared hoster, as a control panel for your VPS customers, or as the end-customer of a hosting company, etc.). I'll do my best to address every response; the more specific you can be in your concerns will help.

I plan to continue browsing these forums frequently and hope I can make a positive contribution.

-
    Mods: If you think this thread would do better in another forum - I apologize and feel free to move.

1. Make it more user friendly.
    2. Improve Backup feature.
    3. The control panel breaks easily and is difficult to fix at times.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for the reply. For #1 and #2, in what ways do you find the current state of these features lacking? For #3, can you cite specific circumstances? I'm happy to take bug reports here in this thread.

Why do members of Parallels keep periodically posting for feedback when they have ignored the feedback they have been given in the past?

---

Issue A:

We resell Plesk for VPS and dedicated servers and the #1 issue continues to be with the Parallels support services. This is an issue that we have been told multiple times that Parallels is aware of and working on (including by Drew_Parallels on WHT). Unfortunately, this canned answer from Parallels is never backed by hard statistics on what has changed or even details on how things will be improved.

The time line on an actual Plesk support ticket is as following:

0d00h00m: Problem Reported

0d01h49m: "We are currently investigating your issue. We will get back to you with a further update on this ticket in 4 hours."

0d05h54m: "I am still working on the issue." "... update you the status with in 5 hours."

0d12h23m: (6.5 hours after last reply) "I am investigating on your issue and will update you in next 5 hours."

0d17h54m: (5.5 hours after last reply) "... I am escalating this ticket to our senior engineers. They will get back to you as soon as possible."

0d19h59m: (1.7 hours after last reply) "Your ticket has been received and processed by a senior Engineer." "... update you in the next 4 hours."

1d00h03m: "I have investigated the issue ... I will update you further."

1d01h50m: Corrective action suggested.

Since the suggestion didn't work, the ticket is re-open and the time line continues in a similar fashion. This isn't a unique issue or a special case--this is just the most recent ticket I could find. It is all to common the time estimates for updates to the ticket are exceeded/meaningless. Also, in the time it takes for Parallels to get around to escalate a ticket, most other vendors have already resolved the issue or at least made a suggestion on how to try to fix it.

As stated previously in this thread, the control panel is difficult to fix at times. If the amount of time it takes for Parallels own support staff to address Plesk issues isn't an indication of this, then I'm not sure what would be.

---

Issue B:

A major UI feature that Plesk lack in comparison to other control panels is a consistent UI between major versions. Just knowing the name of a control panel that is being used is usually enough information to explain what steps/clicks are required to do common tasks. From a UI and documentation prospective, Plesk 8, 9 and 10 are completely different control panels. Where someone clicks in one for a common task is completely different from where the click in the next. For some customers, going from Plesk 9 to cPanel is less jarring than going from Plesk 9 to Plesk 10.

---

Issue C:

In terms of backups/restore functionality, it is fairly damning that a customer is expected to use command line utilities to restore backups from a previous major version of Plesk. I have no problem with command line utilities but for a control panel product there should still be a way of performing a backup conversion directly in the control panel or just support restoring the backups directly. A GUI interface for custom conflict resolutions for restoring would be very helpful for customers to have as well.

---

Issue D:

Lastly, it should be noted that RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (and CentOS 4) are both End of Life at after February of next year. For some other control panels, I have been able to successfully do an in-place OS upgrade and then update the control panel. I can not seem to accomplish the same with any version of Plesk. Instead, it appears Plesk customers need to go through the messy process of a Plesk-to-Plesk migration to do major OS upgrades. This tends to be a much more time consuming process than an in-place upgrade and requires using two servers for the upgrade instead of just the existing one.

Hi chilinux,

We take all feedback we get seriously and thanks for taking the time to submit yours. Many of the improvements made in in Plesk 10 and subsequent releases were very focused on customer requests.

Issue A: Support is a common area identified for improvement and we admit that in the past we were not delivering a satisfactory experience to our customers. To combat this we brought on a new Director of Support about a year ago. Since coming on, time-to-resolution times on tickets have decreased by ~60%. A more recent move we made was switching our frontline support from our previous vendor to be run by Bobcares - a name I'm sure many hosters are familiar with. Because Bobcares runs support for many of the largest hosters today, they are very familiar with our products and have been doing excellent work so far. We feel this will continue to improve over time as well.

Issue B: The changes in user interface were based largely on customer feedback. Many of the complaints leveraged had to do with the appearance being 'too Windows' and a general dislike of the loading screens between interfaces. As a result, in Plesk 10, we adopted, what we feel, is a more universal 'tabbed' approach for the customer panel and eliminated the loading screens.

That said, we're always looking to make the user experience more flexible - so additional features we've introduced allow the interface to cater better to certain use cases.

- For shared hosters, we have the 'Shared Hosting View' in Plesk (which is the default). This separates the interface into two - one for the hoster with a left-hand navigation panel and one for the customer with the discussed tabbed approach. Coming soon, we're also introducing a view for the shared hosting administrator that will allow them to manage customers from within a single view vs. having to navigate between two screens (which should be more comfortable for administrators used to Plesk 8/9).
    - As well, for those using Plesk inside a VPS and not necessarily for Shared Hosting, we have the 'Power User View', which consolidates all server and domain management into a single tabbed interface. This interface also suppresses hosting-specific options such as the billing system that a typical VPS user would not need.

These modes can be changed at any time by the Plesk administrator - but they can also be pre-selected at deployment time by the license reseller - allowing them to offer Dedicated Servers and VPS that are 'solution-oriented' for their customers.

Going forward, we do not expect GUI changes as major as occured between Plesk 8/9 and 10 as we recognize this can make upgrading difficult. One of the major reasons behind the change going to 10 though was to accomodate for the changed business logic where we introduced the capability to do multi-domain hosting (having multiple sites/domains under a single subscription), which we think adds a lot of flexibility to the offerings hosters make available.

Some routes we take to give customers early information so they can prepare for changes include:
    - Regular preview releases - in fact, one is running for Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 right now:
    www.parallels.com/download/plesk10.3/
    - Regular webinars showcasing features in upcoming releases
    - A Technology Adoption Program for those customers who really want to try out some early-in-development releases on copies of their production environments (user-identifying information removed) to help us improve our products and be sure that upgrades will go smoothly:
    www.parallels.com/tap

That said, we welcome feedback as to how we can further improve any future transitions for hosters, their customers, as well as VPS owners.

Issue C/D: I'll check with our engineering team and get back to you on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Parallels || Blake View Post
    Issue A: Support is a common area identified for improvement and we admit that in the past we were not delivering a satisfactory experience to our customers. To combat this we brought on a new Director of Support about a year ago. Since coming on, time-to-resolution times on tickets have decreased by ~60%.
    I guess things have improved by 60%, support resolution times went from 3 days down to over 1 day in most cases. This is still ridiculous considering cPanel is able to resolve tickets in less than 3 hours and Interworx is the same. It is VERY rare that we get a Plesk ticket actually resolved in under 24 hours. We've discussed this issue at length with many different people at Parallels over 4+ years and it is still by far the worst in the industry. We tried negotiating some sort of "resolution time" SLA instead of simply a "response time" SLA in our contract renewal and Parallels didn't even consider it due to their apparent complete lack of faith in the support department.

Note: We're experienced ourselves, most of the tickets we submit are higher end, reporting bugs or odd issues with the software that need to be resolved. We don't just need someone to point us to a knowledgebase article, etc. Our tickets to other vendors are of similar types, thus it is a fair comparison.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 06-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Hi Karl,

It is a valid point. For issues like product bugs or similarly complex requests, these will often be escalated to our Service Team (an extension of the core Plesk development team). As these issues are more complex, resolution times can be longer. One of our fundamental goals for 2011 has been to reduce response/resolution times for this team as much as possible. We've made a lot of progress by better managing our staffing and establishing formal policies around response times based on ticket severeness, but there is still more to do.

Issue C/D: I'll check with our engineering team and get back to you on these.
    For Issue C: This feature you request was added in Plesk 10. Now, when you load old backups via the control panel, it will convert these to the newer format automatically.

For Issue D: This is not something we support currently, but we'll take it under advisement.

Based on your replies, I'm not sure I made it clear just how bad issue #1 continues to be. Frequently we are given lengthy guesstimates when support will update a ticket and frequently they can't even get back to us inside that window of time. This isn't just a matter of complex issues taking long. It isn't even just that complex issues take Plesk support longer than the competition to solve complex issues. They fail at the simple task of providing any update inside a self-imposed deadline. Once they do get around to updating, it is usually in the form of a new self-imposed deadline which is just as meaningless as the last one.

To be clear, I am not talking about tickets from last year. I'm talking about last month and last week! Maybe there has been improvement on the bulk of simple tickets but I'm still hearing the same bottom line from our customers now that I heard last year. When stuck in Plesk support limbo the same sort of questions start rolling in from the customer:

"You told me to wait 5 hours and it is now 6 hours later. Can I get the update I was promised? I tried it again and I am still down! How do I get this ticket treated as urgent?"

"You said last time to wait 5 hours and now all you tell me is to wait 5 hours more? Are you actually going to get back to me in 5 hours this time?"

"Are you saying I should expect it to be WORKING again in that amount of time? I would think you would take this more seriously."

Eventually, it tends to always get to my "favorite" questions of:

"I have been down for over a day! What can you do to guarantee that does not happen again?"

and

"What exactly am I paying for?"

If I'm just supposed to pass along that Parallels has let us know that time-to-resolution has decreased by ~60% or that Parallels has "made a lot of progress" then I can do so but I don't think they will accept those answers. I used to let them know that Plesk tickets now end with a survey and I will let them know via the survey how they felt. This results in more "fun" questions like:

"Does anyone actually read the survey?"

"Why was it allowed to get to this point?"

"How does that help me now?"

And eventually stops being questions and becomes statements like:

"That is what you told me the last time this happen."

But the best phone conversation I had was after the customer got done YELLING at me about the lack of results, he then pointed out that Dell can have an tech *on-site* with a possible solution physically in-hand in 4 hours which is less time than Parallels has taken to get back to him.

To give you a better how out of line Parallels support seems to be from industry practices:

IBM offers 2 hour and 4 hour turn-around for on-site repair on servers.
    IBM then attempts on-site repair in 2 hours or 4 hours.

Dell offers 4 hour turn-around for on-site repair on servers.
    Dell then attempts on-site repair in 4 hours.

Parallels claims they will reply in 5 hours (1 hour than the amount of time it takes others to start working towards on-site repair).
    Parallels then provides a reply 6.5 hours later instead!

Is it that our expectation of Parallels too much? Was the update somehow stuck on rush-hour traffic? Is an update at least every 4 hours just too complex? This is the results from Parallels' new and improve support policies?

I would pad the Parallels update time guessimate to allow for the additional time that support seems to commonly need, but the times given are already so high that it is embarrassing to pass along to them.

I continue to feel a sense of dread each time I reach the point that I end up needing to submit a ticket to Plesk support. Each time it is like I have already let down the customer by putting them yet again into support limbo.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by chilinux View Post
    Based on your replies, I'm not sure I made it clear just how bad issue #1 continues to be. Frequently we are given lengthy guesstimates when support will update a ticket and frequently they can't even get back to us inside that window of time. This isn't just a matter of complex issues taking long. It isn't even just that complex issues take Plesk support longer than the competition to solve complex issues. They fail at the simple task of providing any update inside a self-imposed deadline. Once they do get around to updating, it is usually in the form of a new self-imposed deadline which is just as meaningless as the last one.

To be clear, I am not talking about tickets from last year. I'm talking about last month and last week! Maybe there has been improvement on the bulk of simple tickets but I'm still hearing the same bottom line from our customers now that I heard last year. When stuck in Plesk support limbo the same sort of questions start rolling in from the customer:

"You told me to wait 5 hours and it is now 6 hours later. Can I get the update I was promised? I tried it again and I am still down! How do I get this ticket treated as urgent?"

"You said last time to wait 5 hours and now all you tell me is to wait 5 hours more? Are you actually going to get back to me in 5 hours this time?"

"Are you saying I should expect it to be WORKING again in that amount of time? I would think you would take this more seriously."

Eventually, it tends to always get to my "favorite" questions of:

"I have been down for over a day! What can you do to guarantee that does not happen again?"

and

"What exactly am I paying for?"

If I'm just supposed to pass along that Parallels has let us know that time-to-resolution has decreased by ~60% or that Parallels has "made a lot of progress" then I can do so but I don't think they will accept those answers. I used to let them know that Plesk tickets now end with a survey and I will let them know via the survey how they felt. This results in more "fun" questions like:

"Does anyone actually read the survey?"

"Why was it allowed to get to this point?"

"How does that help me now?"

And eventually stops being questions and becomes statements like:

"That is what you told me the last time this happen."

But the best phone conversation I had was after the customer got done YELLING at me about the lack of results, he then pointed out that Dell can have an tech *on-site* with a possible solution physically in-hand in 4 hours which is less time than Parallels has taken to get back to him.

To give you a better how out of line Parallels support seems to be from industry practices:

IBM offers 2 hour and 4 hour turn-around for on-site repair on servers.
    IBM then attempts on-site repair in 2 hours or 4 hours.

Dell offers 4 hour turn-around for on-site repair on servers.
    Dell then attempts on-site repair in 4 hours.

Parallels claims they will reply in 5 hours (1 hour than the amount of time it takes others to start working towards on-site repair).
    Parallels then provides a reply 6.5 hours later instead!

Is it that our expectation of Parallels too much? Was the update somehow stuck on rush-hour traffic? Is an update at least every 4 hours just too complex? This is the results from Parallels' new and improve support policies?

I would pad the Parallels update time guessimate to allow for the additional time that support seems to commonly need, but the times given are already so high that it is embarrassing to pass along to them.

I continue to feel a sense of dread each time I reach the point that I end up needing to submit a ticket to Plesk support. Each time it is like I have already let down the customer by putting them yet again into support limbo.
    Hey chilinux,

This is a member of the Support team at Parallels, and I just wanted to say thank you for taking the moment to provide the detailed feedback from your experiences. We are well aware of the fact that our support processes in the past have been not-so-stellar, but as we move forward towards reducing response times we hope that you too can feel those improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by ParallelsSupport View Post
    Hey chilinux,

This is a member of the Support team at Parallels, and I just wanted to say thank you for taking the moment to provide the detailed feedback from your experiences. We are well aware of the fact that our support processes in the past have been not-so-stellar, but as we move forward towards reducing response times we hope that you too can feel those improvements.
    Is this something we can put to the test?

Lets say I come back in August and post four statistics for the month of July:

1) What percentage of tickets where all Parallels support guessimate of the next update never exceeds 4 hours.

2) What percentages of tickets where each reply by Parallels support was in less than 4 hours.

3) What percentages of tickets where Parallels support never exceeded their own guessimate as to when they would update the ticket.

4) Percentages of tickets where every reply provided information as to what progress had been made.

If you feel these would be meaningful statistics then I will believe you that Parallels past problems should be treated as in the past. Previously, I was told that these specific type of statistics could not be considered a metric for improvement. What exactly was a correct metric that we could measure on our own has never been clear. It always required data external to us such as the response times for tickets from other companies (which we neither have access to or show an impact to how Parallels support is improving for us). But regardless of what Parallels feels would be a meaningful metric, I keep hearing that these are the metrics that are the bottom line for our customers. They have the following goals in mind when the choose a big name product such as Plesk for the support of that product:

- Support should provide updates as fast (or faster) than the industry standard time it take to get on-site tech support from hardware vendors. It is a disappointment (or worse) when they are told to expect it to take longer than 4 hours.

- Support's estimates as to when they are getting back should be a *HARD LIMIT*. Customers expect an update in the amount of time they are told to expect one. It frequently results in upset customers when the feel lied to.

- Customers love hearing progress has been made. It results in upset customers when they are required to wait lengthy periods for vague replies which only amount to "it is still being worked on... next reply in X hours."

If our customer's bottom line isn't a meaningful metric for improvement yet, just let me know. But if you do feel Parallels has heard our complaints and has already acted on them then is it unreasonable to expect Parallels support to hit 70% or higher on each of those metrics?

Quote Originally Posted by chilinux View Post
    Is this something we can put to the test?

Lets say I come back in August and post four statistics for the month of July:

1) What percentage of tickets where all Parallels support guessimate of the next update never exceeds 4 hours.

2) What percentages of tickets where each reply by Parallels support was in less than 4 hours.

3) What percentages of tickets where Parallels support never exceeded their own guessimate as to when they would update the ticket.

4) Percentages of tickets where every reply provided information as to what progress had been made.

If you feel these would be meaningful statistics then I will believe you that Parallels past problems should be treated as in the past. Previously, I was told that these specific type of statistics could not be considered a metric for improvement. What exactly was a correct metric that we could measure on our own has never been clear. It always required data external to us such as the response times for tickets from other companies (which we neither have access to or show an impact to how Parallels support is improving for us). But regardless of what Parallels feels would be a meaningful metric, I keep hearing that these are the metrics that are the bottom line for our customers. They have the following goals in mind when the choose a big name product such as Plesk for the support of that product:

- Support should provide updates as fast (or faster) than the industry standard time it take to get on-site tech support from hardware vendors. It is a disappointment (or worse) when they are told to expect it to take longer than 4 hours.

- Support's estimates as to when they are getting back should be a *HARD LIMIT*. Customers expect an update in the amount of time they are told to expect one. It frequently results in upset customers when the feel lied to.

- Customers love hearing progress has been made. It results in upset customers when they are required to wait lengthy periods for vague replies which only amount to "it is still being worked on... next reply in X hours."

If our customer's bottom line isn't a meaningful metric for improvement yet, just let me know. But if you do feel Parallels has heard our complaints and has already acted on them then is it unreasonable to expect Parallels support to hit 70% or higher on each of those metrics?
    Hey Chilinux,

I cannot make any guarantees on matching those exact numbers but certainly in the next few months we expect to see continued improvement. Over the past 9 months, our time-to-resolution has gone from a 12-day response rate to just under 4.5-days. Additionally we've implemented a certification program for all tech support staff. We hope in the next few months your experiences improve and will continue to encourage your feedback to help us make things better and better for everyone.

Take care!

Exclamation Nice effort but way too overpriced!

Hey Chilinux,

I cannot make any guarantees on matching those exact numbers but certainly in the next few months we expect to see continued improvement. Over the past 9 months, our time-to-resolution has gone from a 12-day response rate to just under 4.5-days. Additionally we've implemented a certification program for all tech support staff. We hope in the next few months your experiences improve and will continue to encourage your feedback to help us make things better and better for everyone.

Take care!
    I took another look at your product prices and it would be a cold day in hell before I would even consider your product considering the price and limitations. Add to that the support issues. Even with getting it down to 4.5 days from 12 days may be commendable (and I do commend you for that!) it is still far from satisfactory IMHO. The only upside I see with your product is there being a billing system built into it, but that is the only upshot.

You really need to take a look at what the folks at cPanel and DirectAdmin are doing and maybe learn a thing or two from those guys.

Personally I am surprised that you guys are even still in business at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by portlyirishman View Post
    I took another look at your product prices and it would be a cold day in hell before I would even consider your product considering the price and limitations. Add to that the support issues. Even with getting it down to 4.5 days from 12 days may be commendable (and I do commend you for that!) it is still far from satisfactory IMHO. The only upside I see with your product is there being a billing system built into it, but that is the only upshot.

You really need to take a look at what the folks at cPanel and DirectAdmin are doing and maybe learn a thing or two from those guys.

Personally I am surprised that you guys are even still in business at this point.
    What pricing are you referring to?
    An ITX Design Hosting Company
    FFmpeg Hosting
    http://itxdesign.com
    tel. (866)-577-1442

Quote Originally Posted by portlyirishman View Post
    I took another look at your product prices and it would be a cold day in hell before I would even consider your product considering the price and limitations.
    Hi,

I'd encourage you not to use the prices on our website as a basis. These are retail prices typically for one-off or smaller purchases. Our Partner program provides access to our products at dramatically discounted prices from retail. To check into these, feel free to contact us through our website and an account manager will reach out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MostHost View Post
    What pricing are you referring to?
    I am referring to their monthly licensing fees and account/domain limitations. IMHO not a whole lot of bang for the buck

Hi,

I'd encourage you not to use the prices on our website as a basis. These are retail prices typically for one-off or smaller purchases. Our Partner program provides access to our products at dramatically discounted prices from retail. To check into these, feel free to contact us through our website and an account manager will reach out to you.
    Why should anyone consider being a reseller/partner with you folks considering the support or lack thereof as well as the exhorbitant pricing? I for one would not want to touch your product due to that fact. Between your pricing and lousy support I could easily find myself out of business if something happened.

Hey Chilinux,

Take care!
    12 Days to respond to a ticket? Holy buckets!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    12 Days to respond to a ticket? Holy buckets!
    Hey Zach. That was in the past. We are now down to under 4.5 days.

Hey Zach. That was in the past. We are now down to under 4.5 days.
    4.5 days for a ticket is extremely unacceptable. What if there is a priority issue?

4.5 days for a ticket is extremely unacceptable. What if there is a priority issue?
    Hey Zach,

We recognize just under 4.5 days is not the greatest, but definitely has been a significant improvement for us considering where we were 9 months ago. And to address your comment, of course when we recognize an issue of urgency arises, we take the correct measures to help our customers the best we can.

4.5 days = Time to Resolution

Hey Zach,

Just to clarify my response before. The 4.5 days is our Time to Resolution on the issue, not response. Hope that makes more sense

When I evaluated plesk vs cpanel, the biggest thing for me was that there was no option for unpacking a file on server (say a joomla/wordpress zip).

I think this 'relatively easy' feature would help a lot (my opinion).

Cheers!
    Java, C, PHP, AJAX development from the Netherlands
    Also offering quality proactive server management
    Need a quote? E-mail daniel at dg-services.nl

cPanel has had the zip/tar/bz feature for a while. Very handy when you don't wanna use FTP.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by smerz View Post
    When I evaluated plesk vs cpanel, the biggest thing for me was that there was no option for unpacking a file on server (say a joomla/wordpress zip).
    I guess those were older versions of Plesk. Since Plesk 10.1+ unzip is available in file manager menu.

Quote Originally Posted by smerz View Post

I think this 'relatively easy' feature would help a lot (my opinion).

Cheers!
    Hey smerz,

Have you tried it again? You can complete the task by selecting 'Extract Files' in the File Manager under the 'Website & Domains' tab.

All I would say is for you developers at Plesk to add, archiving and extracting zips, tars, etc. Also make the control panel a little more user friendly, some people I know don't know what to do when it comes to this. Make the back-up manager have an advanced option where you can copy specific folders and files and also services. That is all I can think of but if there is anymore I will message here later.