Using a VPS as a Socks5 Proxy

I really want to buy a VPS to use as a Socks5 web proxy. I found this host with good ratings (buyvm (dot) net) and a very affordable basic plan of $15/month for 128MB ram with 256 Burst, 15 GB of space, and 500 GB of bandwidth. The only thing I want to use this VPS for is a web proxy (Socks). Will those figures be sufficient? I won't be transferring a mega amount of data, just surfing the web. I don't plan to download any large files through the server. (I don't like the idea of websites knowing my real IP: privacy concerns, basically.)

(Also, if Socks5 sucks for this purpose, please recommend something better to me.)

Looks like buyvm is out of stock. So basically, my question is: what stats should I be looking for on a vps to run a socks5 proxy comfortably?

I've got one of those $15/year BuyVM VPSs, too.

It should work fine as a proxy. With 500GB of bandwidth, you could even download large files.

You could look into installing OpenVPN, too. That's what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    I really want to buy a VPS to use as a Socks5 web proxy. I found this host with good ratings (buyvm (dot) net) and a very affordable basic plan of $15/month for 128MB ram with 256 Burst, 15 GB of space, and 500 GB of bandwidth. The only thing I want to use this VPS for is a web proxy (Socks). Will those figures be sufficient? I won't be transferring a mega amount of data, just surfing the web. I don't plan to download any large files through the server. (I don't like the idea of websites knowing my real IP: privacy concerns, basically.)

(Also, if Socks5 sucks for this purpose, please recommend something better to me.)

You should have no problem using them once they get some more stock in, I would also like to note you said "$15/month", I would like to let ya know there 128/256 plan is $15/year
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

VPN is a better solution. You can use OpenVPN or PPTPD but make sure your provider will enable the tun/tap module if buy OpenVZ VPS.
    KnownSRV.com - Fast, Quality and Secure MANAGED VPS with fast SSD drives in h/w RAID10
    Full network and hardware customization possible - let's talk your needs. Optional 500gbps DDoS protection!
    █ PayPal, Credit Cards, Skrill, Payza, PerfectMoney, WebMoney and BitCoins accepted

Quote Originally Posted by FusionNET View Post
    You should have no problem using them once they get some more stock in, I would also like to note you said "$15/month", I would like to let ya know there 128/256 plan is $15/year
    Thank you for pointing that out, I must have gotten confused there.

I hope to find a similar deal to the basic buyvm offer. Since I only plan to use this as a personal proxy, I don't want to end up paying too much for system resources that I'll never utilize.

I picked a $5-$6 a month VPS off of lowendbox.com and I have an HTTP proxy for 3-4 users running with no problems in the slightest. Internet connection speed will be your most important factors. HDD space won't be important.

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread; but me using a VPS for SOCKS connection (Putty-Firefox), my speed is quite slow.

Ping results are all normal but when downloading/streaming anything, my speed is quite low compared to my actual and VPS' bandwidth.

Another strange point, the download speed varies from target server to server whereas my upload speed is stucked at 0.36 Mbit/s (I've got 6 Mbit bandwidth).

Any thought what may be causing this? Is it in the SSH/Socks nature to slow down THAT much?

Quote Originally Posted by SceneSRV View Post
    VPN is a better solution. You can use OpenVPN or PPTPD but make sure your provider will enable the tun/tap module if buy OpenVZ VPS.
    PPTP does not work on OpenVZ, not even with tun/tap - it needs additional, insecure, modules.