New Business - Need Starting Tips

Hi, my name is Dakota Browning, I'm 21, and I own a small computer business called Nanobit Computers. I'm looking to host a website but it appears to be an overwhelming task for me. Aside from choosing a domain name, and a web host, I have to figure out how I want my site designed, and I need a back-end programmed. All of this is giving me a large headache, probably because I'm looking at everything as one big task, and having trouble doing things one at a time. So I'm asking for some pointers; what should I do first?

Finding a web host isn't really that hard, I've looked around and have a general idea of what is out there, and what I need, but I'm having trouble finding web-designers that don't cost thousands of dollars for nothing but a front-end.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I've hit a dead-end because I can't get my company off the ground until I get a website running, but I can't figure out what steps I need to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanobit Comptuers View Post
    Hi, my name is Dakota Browning, I'm 21, and I own a small computer business called Nanobit Computers. I'm looking to host a website but it appears to be an overwhelming task for me. Aside from choosing a domain name, and a web host, I have to figure out how I want my site designed, and I need a back-end programmed. All of this is giving me a large headache, probably because I'm looking at everything as one big task, and having trouble doing things one at a time. So I'm asking for some pointers; what should I do first?

Finding a web host isn't really that hard, I've looked around and have a general idea of what is out there, and what I need, but I'm having trouble finding web-designers that don't cost thousands of dollars for nothing but a front-end.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I've hit a dead-end because I can't get my company off the ground until I get a website running, but I can't figure out what steps I need to take.
    First you'll want to get a domain name, I would suggest name.com.

Then search for a reliable host to host your website. For a small business website, the basic shared plan at MDDHosting.com would be great. They can assist you setup a blog/website, and I believe they may have RVSkin which is a program that has pre-made website designs.

If you want to go the custom way, you may search for a design firm. There is an offers section on the forum where you can request designers, quotes etc.

Hello,

"This might be moved to the design section due to containing more about design side of things"

Do you want an unique or non-unique design?

Of course heading down the unique path is better if your budget is big enough, How much is your budget may I ask?

Have you checked out ThemeForest and TemplateMonster?

Regards,

The future of web hosting is app hosting. App here really means the open source application or framework which would allow you to setup a web site and professionally.

You could start with Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal, and then select a nice look theme, a web site will be up and there is no too much learning curve. Even if you really want to get your own theme, there are thousands of theme developer would like to make one for you less than $100.

After you have chosen an application, you can start looking for an appropriate web hosting for it.

I have a pretty low budget, but I'm not looking for anything too complex. (If this gets moved to the design forum, that's fine, I wasn't sure where to post)

My budget is less than $500 as this is basically a personal project I'm starting to break free from the monotonous life of minimum wage work.

I haven't looked at those selections of templates, but I have looked around on other websites, and they always looked VERY generic. What I don't know about tho is the back-end of a website. Does the web host I get handle that, or does the designer? I know that custom CMS' are generally expensive and hard to make, but do exactly what I want them to do, as opposed to a generic CMS that is cheap but might have too many features that I might not ever use.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    First you'll want to get a domain name, I would suggest name.com.

Then search for a reliable host to host your website. For a small business website, the basic shared plan at MDDHosting.com would be great. They can assist you setup a blog/website, and I believe they may have RVSkin which is a program that has pre-made website designs.

If you want to go the custom way, you may search for a design firm. There is an offers section on the forum where you can request designers, quotes etc.
    I think you are thinking about RV Sitebuilder Zach, RVSkin is used for cPanel themes.

I would recommend using a CMS like Joomla then purchasing a template. http://www.templatemonster.com would be a good start.

More decent providers will help you install Joomla.
    █ | Brad - Hoopla Hosting - Email or add me to Gtalk! brad [at] hooplahosting.com
    █ | Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare
    █ | VPS - SolusVM - E3-1230 - RAID10 - 1Gbit

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopla-Brad View Post
    I think you are thinking about RV Sitebuilder Zach, RVSkin is used for cPanel themes.

I would recommend using a CMS like Joomla then purchasing a template. http://www.templatemonster.com would be a good start.

Indeed that is what I meant, thanks for clarifying. I've never actually used either, but I knew it had something to do with RV.

You should be able to get a design for $500, I suggest you to use an already built shopping cart such as ZenCart and then make a template for it based on your logo/colors/etc.

ZenCart comes pre installed in most hosts, since is a common script that you'll see available on those providers offering Fantastico/Softaculous/etc.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

i guess using RvSiteBuilder to build your web would be a good idea.
    but you must think the content to put, pictures, logo, etc..

good luck!
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

I would highly recommend using WordPress as your website "builder". Not only can you find high-quality looking templates for under $50, you will have a VERY easy time administering the site and adding posts, making changes, etc.. and chances are it already comes as part of your web hosting package. There is tons of support, many sites using it already, and is regularly updated.

Oh, and it's FREE
    [BleemNET] Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

Quote Originally Posted by zdrux View Post
    I would highly recommend using WordPress as your website "builder". Not only can you find high-quality looking templates for under $50, you will have a VERY easy time administering the site and adding posts, making changes, etc.. and chances are it already comes as part of your web hosting package. There is tons of support, many sites using it already, and is regularly updated.

Oh, and it's FREE
    I agree with zdrux on this. WordPress is a very friendly and easy environment to work with. There are some VERY nice templates that are not too expensive at all.

Check out something like this:
    http://themeforest.net/category/word...hosting&page=1

or this

http://themeforest.net/category/word...rporate&page=1

before deciding a domain name and booking it online make sure you are with right guys.. a website design process is ongoing process, it will keep on adding up new work as you grow.
    so start with a basic design ... you can either look for free template or look for a local designer for small site...
    VPS Hosting | Premium Web Hosting Service In India
    -----------------------------------
    India's Fastest Growing Premium Web Hosting and Domain Registration Service Provider

Quote Originally Posted by daviolinist12 View Post
    I agree with zdrux on this. WordPress is a very friendly and easy environment to work with. There are some VERY nice templates that are not too expensive at all.

Check out something like this:
    http://themeforest.net/category/word...hosting&page=1

or this

http://themeforest.net/category/word...rporate&page=1
    Absolutely agree on the WordPress recommendation. It's easy to incorporate themes and manage - and there are thousands of plug ins available to update your site. Good Luck
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

If you're looking to find a nice website design for your business and are on a tight budget, I'd recommend starting off by using Wordpress. It's a super easy platform to use and is very easy to install, just download the ZIP file from their website and unpack it onto your hosting account.

As for finding a design, I'd recommend using ThemeForest or TemplateMonster, depending on what kind of design you go for, make sure that the design is Wordpress Compatible. These designs will cost you $30-70 depending on the complexity of the design and where you're buying it from, a much better investment than paying hundreds of dollars to a design agency to make you a "custom website".

Hope this helps!
    Will Hosting LLC - Affordable and Reliable Hosting Solutions
    █ 24/7 Premium Monitoring & Support Staff!
    █ Domain Included | 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
    █ Follow us on Twitter: @WillHosting

Another vote for WordPress. Much support, flexible, powerful.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

I have a pretty low budget, but I'm not looking for anything too complex. (If this gets moved to the design forum, that's fine, I wasn't sure where to post)

My budget is less than $500 as this is basically a personal project I'm starting to break free from the monotonous life of minimum wage work.

I haven't looked at those selections of templates, but I have looked around on other websites, and they always looked VERY generic. What I don't know about tho is the back-end of a website. Does the web host I get handle that, or does the designer? I know that custom CMS' are generally expensive and hard to make, but do exactly what I want them to do, as opposed to a generic CMS that is cheap but might have too many features that I might not ever use.
    Sounds to me like you are looking for a custom design, as opposed to something pre-made? Here are some questions that will help us better understand what you are looking for...

- Do you currently have a logo developed for your business?

- What navigational names would you like implemented into your website? (Example: Home, About, contact..ect)

- Will you be selling any items via your website? If so, how many?

- Are there any other features you would like to see implemented into your website?

- In general, what will be the main purpose of your website?

That should get the ball rolling
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

-------------------------------------------------

Try looking at Serif Webplus x5 it has gotten great reviews and if you use codes10 coupon code you get 20$ off the 100$ cost. Its all simple to use too and what I chose after doing a fair bit of research. http://www.serif.com/webplus/

STEP BY STEP GUIDE

Hey Dakota! How are you??? Its a smart decision youve made by deciding to open up you own website

Why all the hassle and worries. Its not that hard as you think. Its really simple as long as you know good english .. Il give you some steps in order to make sure i give you some part of my valuable knowledge

1) RESEARCH: Google for articles related to hosting and website and get a basic understanding. The best site il recommend
    startupnation

this site provide you with superb 11 start up steps

2) DOMAIN NAME: Search for a domain name thats available and suitable to you.. check
    godaddy
    Choosing a name first motivates you and keeps you in the trap..you can purchase the domain at the end of the steps
    3) WORDPRESS: i really dont want to tell you what wordpress is. Its a easy to use interface which is an effective and efficient CMS. Many experts recommend this. go to
    wordpress
    4) THEMES: You would need a premium theme that is easy to use and lest costly than hiring a professional. Themes are made by professionals. Check this site THEMEFOREST
    themeforest
    You can also hire the professionals over there for a cheaper price but trust me purchasing the theme is the best solution for you
    5) WEB HOST: You would need a web host to host your websites. I would recommend you HOST GATOR personally
    hostgator
    ..their plans and prices are fair...they are green and they give you room to grow in the future..this helps your long term goal.
    6) PURCHASING: Once your above steps of research are done you can purchase your selections... if you follow my steps the cost would be less than 200$

I wish you the best again. Theres pleanty of resources online you can google or ask help from us..You dont have to be a geek to own a site...im always there for your help..use google to search for the sites im unable to insert URL

Thank you,
    Uzi

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopla-Brad View Post

I would recommend using a CMS like Joomla then purchasing a template. templatemonster.com would be a good start.

There are a lot of joomla design at templatemonster.
    To cut costs:
    1. use the coupons available for templatemonster
    2. Choose a template and look for similar free templates that are available for joomla.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action

do u have to pay for these or trying to edit and make your own in the free is too hard? Im beginnger too trying to edit wordpress