Dedi Server Provider in Equinix DC3 w/ Cross-Connect?

I'm not sure if it's even possible so I thought I'd ask.

We have a cabinet of colo'd servers in Equinix DC3 in Ashburn. We have a 6-month project starting up which will require more computing power, and we don't have the space/power in our existing colo, nor are we prepared to buy more hardware at this point.

What I was thinking is we could find a dedicated server provider that's in the same facility, and then have them run a cross-connect to our existing cabinet so the dedicated servers can be connected to our colo'd servers over our internal network (the server need to communicate with each other as a requirement for our application). As I understand it, a cross-connect within the same Equinix facility is subject to a one-time setup fee but no monthly fee.

Would such an arrangement work, and if so, can anyone recommend a provider in DC3 for dedicated servers? Thanks.

The cross connect might have a 1 time setup fee but the dedicated server will definitely have a monthly fee. If I'm not mistaken which I should not be, both these companies are in Ashburn.

1. Carpathia
    2. GoGrid

I am not too sure about the rest of the companies but I do know that both of them have servers there. I don't know how much can Carpathia help but they sure won't be cheap. GoGrid on the other hand might be cheaper however cross connects are totally NOT cheap. So don't expect your bill to be cheap.

If you were in New York, I would have easily recommended a few more who would work things out for you. But those are the only ones I know in Ashburn.

Hope you do good with your servers. Have a good day!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Thanks for the information. We're certainly prepared to pay a monthly fee for each dedicated server, but I like the idea of not having a monthly cross-connect fee, especially since our application is not bandwidth-intensive.

Our colo is with Carpathia, so I'll look at GoGrid then. Carpathia seems to be slow on getting sales quotes to us sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
    I like the idea of not having a monthly cross-connect fee, especially since our application is not bandwidth-intensive.
    Are you sure there's not a monthly fee? I would expect a monthly fee of somewhere around $300/month, on top of installation fees.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

bqinternet: No, Equinix and Interxion only charge one time for Crossconnects, though usualy 1-3k USD then.

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    bqinternet: No, Equinix and Interxion only charge one time for Crossconnects, though usualy 1-3k USD then.
    Equinix does indeed charge a monthly fee for cross connects.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

hm? my 2 10G connects in tokio did only cost one time...

My understanding is the cross-connect fee within Equinix is one-time (no monthly) if it's in the same datacenter. If you're connecting between different datacenters, even if both are Equinix, then a monthly fee may be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
    My understanding is the cross-connect fee within Equinix is one-time (no monthly) if it's in the same datacenter. If you're connecting between different datacenters, even if both are Equinix, then a monthly fee may be involved.
    Perhaps it varies by location. I would expect a monthly fee even in the same building.
    Last edited by bqinternet; 06-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***