Clothing Website

I've been approached regarding a clothing website that somebody would like developing. I've never really worked all that much with e-commerce other than the WHMCS kind of things so I need to do some research before agreeing to the project.

Basically, I need to find a shopping cart system that would be easy to integrate into a visual design which I have. I've had a peek at Magento but would much prefer a free solution than paid. If any of you could provide me with more information about the work that needs to be done and maybe even point me in the direction of a suitable shopping cart system it would be much appreciated.

you could try cubecart.. there shopping cart is awesome..

I've had good experience with Digishop, but they do charge. It's really a matter of time vs. money. Even a free, open source cart will cost you in time or paying someone to integrate a module to your gateway API.

I'd recommend shopping processors and which of them have gateway compatibility with the open source cart you like. You just have to match them up.
    Niles Bentley
    High risk merchant consultant
    Skype merchantservicetoday3

Oh right, so there's more than just a cart? Can you please explain everything that I need to get in order for the site to work?

Magneto is free, last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Magneto is free, last I checked.
    I noticed something about $15/month earlier.. Maybe that was a hosted package I saw..

Quote Originally Posted by DeanHarper View Post
    I noticed something about $15/month earlier.. Maybe that was a hosted package I saw..
    It's free. Hosted is something like 3k a year isn't it?

Hi,

I personally have to give credit to Presta-Shop, a lil tricky to theme, but day to day administration is very easy, and it's all fresh and nice and AJAXy. ;-) Check it out and see what you think. But also check out the community edition of Magento, it is very good.

Regards

Rob

I personally use http://www.shopify.com/ and have had great luck with it. It is very scalable to the size of your shop and priced accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanHarper View Post
    I've been approached regarding a clothing website that somebody would like developing. I've never really worked all that much with e-commerce other than the WHMCS kind of things so I need to do some research before agreeing to the project.

Basically, I need to find a shopping cart system that would be easy to integrate into a visual design which I have. I've had a peek at Magento but would much prefer a free solution than paid. If any of you could provide me with more information about the work that needs to be done and maybe even point me in the direction of a suitable shopping cart system it would be much appreciated.
    i guess uve checked on the Magento Enterprise Edition which is non free...but i would recommend you magneto...if magneto is not good...ebay wouldn't have made an investment for a 49% stake in it right??? for a company like ebay to go for magneto then their something about it righ..quite logical

Magento would be the best option. It offers complete flexibility and control over the users experience, content, and functionality of their online store. Its intuitive administration interface features powerful marketing tools, a catalog-management engine and is SEO optimized to give merchants the power to create sites that provide an unrivaled and rich online shopping experience for their customers, tailored to their unique business needs.

Open cart all the way

What about Zen-cart?
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

How many products?

If it's not that many, you might be better off just making the whole thing yourself and using a gateway API for billing. Auth.net is extremely easy to implement, as is PayPal.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

So many open source carts mentioned in this thread.

I know the original poster has asked for a free cart. I just want to throw a quick question back and ask if this is your own clothing website, or if someone else approached you and asked you to set it up for them?

I used to be a web developer many years ago, so I'm guilty of a mistake that I've seen repeated so many other times -- going open source and handing a store over to someone who really isn't strong enough technically to operate an open source cart. I always had to remember that when building something for someone else, I was always likely to be much more technically proficient than them.

If that's the case, who are they going to call when the store goes down, has a problem, or an update/patch that needs to be applied?

I have no problem with open source at all, so don't let me derail the thread or your thoughts, just throwing out a quick criteria to consider before making that important final decision. I just can't tell you the number of times I've seen developers put together a fantastic site, hand it over and walk away, and then a year or two later the owner is left trying to keep it running. Stuff that is so simple can seem very complex to someone who might have a hard time just configuring outlook.

I'm not at all against the open source suggestions, just wanted to throw in something like mal's e-commerce as an alternative consideration, because it gives the owner support options in the future. I think Mal's is only about $10/month or so.

With that said, best of luck with whatever you choose, lots of good options mentioned in this thread.
    David Goodale
    Merchant Accounts.ca
    Canada's merchant account provider.
    Toll free: (888) 414-7111 ext. 5 | Direct: (905) 901-2254

you may try other shopping cart such as OS commerce, PrestaShop, opencart and zen cart. If you use it from hosting CMS then it maybe free unless you request for more.