Developing my own control panel

Hi!

I'm looking to develop my own hosting control panel - not for commercial use but rather for fun. The panel is supposed to be simple - add users, change FTP passwords, check quotas and so on. However, I'm looking for some pointers on how to do this. Is there any APIs or do I have to do everything on my own, and in that case, how should I do that? Will a language like PHP suffice or will I need applications on the server written in languages like Perl?

Thanks,
    John

Pretty sure Kloxo is open source you could help contribute to that or take a look at the code and get some ideas.
    cPanel, CloudLinux, Softaculous ℵ Off Site Backups, Redundant DNS

Hi

Is this a control panel for Cpanel ? or a control panel in its own right ? reason i ask is that you mention API's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abtme View Post
    Hi

Is this a control panel for Cpanel ? or a control panel in its own right ? reason i ask is that you mention API's

Thanks
    A control panel "in its own right".

A control panel can be created using just about any language, be it PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby/Node etc

Best way to get started is to setup a server and install the services you need and learn how to configure and manage them by hand. For example, install Apache and learn how and what to edit in the http.conf file. Then use a nice simple templating language like Mustache (mustache.github.com) to create your configuration files (try playing around with vhosts to start). Do this so you can break it down to small manageable sections and not have a big mess of config building logic built into your code. Generate the configs and save them then restart the service. You now have part of a control panel

Creating your own Hosting Control panel is no joke. Even if it would be very basic, it will surely take lot of time in writing your own. However, if you have time and money to spend, developing your own control panel would be beneficial in the long run since you will be able to control it and would get rid of the dependencies of other commercial and free control panels available. You can create it in any language.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

what type of platform your control panel will support; windows or linux?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMoberg View Post
    Hi!

I'm looking to develop my own hosting control panel - not for commercial use but rather for fun. The panel is supposed to be simple - add users, change FTP passwords, check quotas and so on. However, I'm looking for some pointers on how to do this. Is there any APIs or do I have to do everything on my own, and in that case, how should I do that? Will a language like PHP suffice or will I need applications on the server written in languages like Perl?

Thanks,
    John
    Quotas is a good example where you wanna look for APIs as different filesystems have different ways of quota management.
    i.e. XFS can do per-directory quotas which ext3 can't, and in the end confuses most bad quota code.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

The Kloxo suggestion isn't all that bad.

You'd be able to use the Kloxo core, and use the API to build something that looks and feels like your own panel. Not exactly the same thing - but almost.

At the same time you could get an understanding of how you build stuff like this. Although Kloxo isn't built with best practice code yet.

Hi,

I really think that willing to write your own project from scratch "just for fun" is a waste of useful resources. There's a lot of open source projects out there that are in the need of contributors, and there are many areas where you could help. I'm not asking you to contribute to our own control panel (DTC and DTC-Xen), but to any of the project you see fit. There's enough projects so you'll find one you like.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

First thing I would like to ask either you wish to develop control panel for Linux based environment or Windows based?

For the language you can use the one you know well and that supports your envisioned control panel platform. For Linux based environments I am not that sure but you can use PHP/Pert etc. For Windows based, you can use ASP.net/C# etc.

Probably, you would not require API if you are developing a control panel from scratch, but might be when you use environment specific functionality.

On Windows you can use APIs of IIS, DNS etc to create websites, dns zones,user accounts etc. On Linux if there are objects available for APACHE etc then surely you would be able to create accounts websites on it too.

The only thing is what are your directions. Choose language which gives you more flexibility like PHP,ASP.NET using C# , JSP etc because most of control panels basic language is one of the 3 langs I have just mentioned. So, go for the one which you feel most confortable with.

You can use php and mysql, Making your own panel is alot of work.
    And i sugguest u to hire a hacker for checking its safe