View Poll Results: How long are you willing to wait for a downtime?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Hour

29 51.79%
  • 3 Hours

11 19.64%
  • 6 Hours

8 14.29%
  • 12 Hours

3 5.36%
  • 24 Hours or More...

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long are you willing to wait for a downtime?

How long are you willing to wait for a downtime with your current/favorite hosting provider?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    How long are you willing to wait for a downtime with your current/favorite hosting provider?
    Aslong as it takes for the problem to be resolved
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

To be honest, everybody don't like any downtime. The safe answer is as soon as possible.

If a hosting provider is facing a serious issue,then I'm afraid it could be more then 24 hours.Again,some clients don't understand how it's like to be a hosting provider.
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_host View Post
    Again,some clients don't understand how it's like to be a hosting provider.
    True!

and the customer will only answer..."I admit that I only want to see my website and email working...so I assume that you know what you are doing"

And this is also True.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

If every provider would take the job seriously,client wouldn't ask that.In fact they would have much more confidence in the provider.
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    It'll depend on what price you are paying, and if the host provides any sort of SLA.

It depends on the reason, the communication, and how often.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I would be comfortable with about 6 hours of downtime a month.

as long as i can keep in touch with the support, im relieved
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

So, quality customer support is the most concerned from all answers above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    So, quality customer support is the most concerned from all answers above.
    Not really, because you need to add competency. You can keep updating your client about the issue but you do not know how to find solution.

It depends on what it is.
    For some things, I'll get pissy after 15 minutes.
    For others, I can understand 15 hours.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

As long as they are communicating and there is a real reason why it is down, then I would wait. At another host same issue can happen. But the host has to be communicating about the issue with the customer this is a priority in these situations.

Depends on the communication from the provider :-)

Chose 24 hours+

I think the sooner you quit spamming these topics, as your only doing it to downgrade all the host's on this site. There is no place for it here, and I hope you will quit.

btw: rewording your topic just to start the SAME topic over and over again, doesn't help your case. Whatever the reason for it is, as your clearly pissed off about some host, but refuse to mention who/why...
    The nice thing about facebook, is you can post comments from someone, and no one will know if that person actually said it. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR View Post
    your clearly pissed off about some host, but refuse to mention who/why...
    Us regulars know who hes trying to get at/flame with these topics, We're sat watching VERY close I can assure you

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Kusman View Post
    That's one comfortable answer.

Not a situation of downtime, and one can get to support.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Kusman View Post
    That's one comfortable answer.

Not a situation of downtime, and one can get to support.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

Quote Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR View Post
    I think the sooner you quit spamming these topics, as your only doing it to downgrade all the host's on this site. There is no place for it here, and I hope you will quit.

btw: rewording your topic just to start the SAME topic over and over again, doesn't help your case. Whatever the reason for it is, as your clearly pissed off about some host, but refuse to mention who/why...
    Guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Us regulars know who hes trying to get at/flame with these topics, We're sat watching VERY close I can assure you
    Trust me, you are 101% no knowledge but nice try

Pardon for rather "dragging" another thread here since the other one's closed. I just figured that and this one are "related".

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=27

Yujin, you can give any estimate you "feel" applies to the situation. Heck, anyone can give any number based on whatever metric or factor they consider.

And it's also fine to think one reason hosts don't want to give estimates is because they don't want people to cancel. Who wouldn't?

The thing is, there are other plausible reasons why hosts don't want to do that, especially if they truly, madly, deeply just don't know. In my limited, ex-registrar-host experience, we've gotten customers who accused us of "lying" when we give estimates that didn't pan out inspite of trying to keep them updated.

(Oh sure, we're arguably incompetent for not even giving an estimate, or we can't meet that. We're sorry you feel that way and hate to see you go, but we won't blame you and we understand blah blah blah.)

Going back to your actual topic here, are we talking about planned or unplanned downtime here, or both? Personally it depends on the host and my plans.

If the host said they're doing planned maintenance that shouldn't last more than 3 hours, then I guess I'm fine with that. If they said it might last 7 hours while one site has a top-selling report, then I'd plan ahead and maybe temporarily move my site elsewhere before that happens.

Likewise, if the host has, say, a DDoS attack and won't conservatively say when it'll be fixed, then I won't wait for downtime and move my site/s to another place. I don't begrudge the host, but I can't afford any downtime either.

But again, that depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Pardon for rather "dragging" another thread here since the other one's closed. I just figured that and this one are "related".

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=27

Yujin, you can give any estimate you "feel" applies to the situation. Heck, anyone can give any number based on whatever metric or factor they consider.

And it's also fine to think one reason hosts don't want to give estimates is because they don't want people to cancel. Who wouldn't?

The thing is, there are other plausible reasons why hosts don't want to do that, especially if they truly, madly, deeply just don't know. In my limited, ex-registrar-host experience, we've gotten customers who accused us of "lying" when we give estimates that didn't pan out inspite of trying to keep them updated.

(Oh sure, we're arguably incompetent for not even giving an estimate, or we can't meet that. We're sorry you feel that way and hate to see you go, but we won't blame you and we understand blah blah blah.)

Going back to your actual topic here, are we talking about planned or unplanned downtime here, or both? Personally it depends on the host and my plans.

If the host said they're doing planned maintenance that shouldn't last more than 3 hours, then I guess I'm fine with that. If they said it might last 7 hours while one site has a top-selling report, then I'd plan ahead and maybe temporarily move my site elsewhere before that happens.

Likewise, if the host has, say, a DDoS attack and won't conservatively say when it'll be fixed, then I won't wait for downtime and move my site/s to another place. I don't begrudge the host, but I can't afford any downtime either.

But again, that depends.

Alright Dave, let's go off-topic for a while.

You already have 3 thousand plus post on this board and I hope that you notice every single alibis and nonsense reasoning on this board (maybe including mine). As we know that there's always an ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION that we can offer to the client BUT most (not all) host opt not to offer them...then this is the biggest question mark.

Have you seen DDOS attack that lasted for a week? If you did, then bravo as I never seen one in my entire experience.

Hacked website, how long before the you fix this issue?

The famous FSCK, which I always argue as it seems that most of the sysadm's brain stop functioning and stop finding alternative solution when this occur. While some sysadm are providing solutions.

If you have 1000 website on a single server and FSCK hit you. Will you immediately send a notice to the client or you will choose to wait a support ticket?

If you choose the latter, then what will tell your customer?

Sorry Mr. but "we cannot provide you an estimated time of completion" then period.

Or

Sorry Mr. we cannot provide you an estimated time of completion...HOWEVER, we have your recent backup on this date. We can migrate your site on another server but these are the possible consequences or scenario blah...blah...blah!
    Have I seen this gesture and concern on this board? NEVER! As most of the providers opt to tell their customer to WAIT. As if they are numb and used to this complaints. Imagine you have no estimated time and you have no assurance that they can fix the issue. So, why will you allow this person to suffer if you cannot promise anything in times like this?

You said that you can't afford downtime, do you think this applies to everyone?

You also said...

The thing is, there are other plausible reasons why hosts don't want to do that, especially if they truly, madly, deeply just don't know.
    Well, this is incompetency. How the heck you will become a businessman or sysadmin if at the end of the line you will just sit and cry. That's bullc**p. You can repeat...there are other reason, other factors, other, other, other, whatever as many time as you want but you are just simply showcasing your poor reaction and solution skill on the situation.

My friend its 2011 already and we have many technology to rectify things fast. We have intelligent people to hire. The only question is...are you willing to utilize these options or you simply do not want to spend or you simply do not care at all.
    Last edited by Yujin; 06-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Yujin, I think its time you gave it a rest, The threads your creating are just getting locked or going vastly off-topic...

Not very long. If my site isn't important to me and my visitors, I don't care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast