* Purchasing from Dell?

So I've been looking into collocation and thinking of purchasing my servers from Dell. I decided to go through with this configuration: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...oc=PER210II_F1 and was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of buying additional parts. I want to get the bare minimum in terms of RAM and drives since I know I can get cheaper parts elsewhere and install it myself. I've looked at NewEgg and was wondering if you guys have any other recommendations.

First tip: get refurbished dell gear from someone like great lake computers
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Refurb is alright, you can also get a pretty good discount with Dell if you purchase in volume.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Ditch the Dell and get some supermicro gear

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    It all depends on your budget. Supermicro is great stuff, but I really like the reliability we've seen out of our Dells so far. Also when working on them, things are more modular. To each his own. Dell gear is truly enterprise hardware. We like that the configurations are pretty standard and their support is great.

Thanks,
    Adam

Yes I'd like to purchase from Dell but how about the parts?

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
    It all depends on your budget. Supermicro is great stuff, but I really like the reliability we've seen out of our Dells so far. Also when working on them, things are more modular. To each his own. Dell gear is truly enterprise hardware. We like that the configurations are pretty standard and their support is great.

Thanks,
    Adam
    I have found them to vary their parts a huge amount.
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post

Thanks,
    Adam
    You can't build supermicro servers yourself for the same price as Dell sends them completely built/tested.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by XLHost View Post
    You can't build supermicro servers yourself for the same price as Dell sends them completely built/tested.
    I would very surprised to find Dell cheaper than Supermicro (same specs)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I would very surprised to find Dell cheaper than Supermicro (same specs)
    We're direct and high volume with both, Dell is consistently lower cost.
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by XLHost View Post
    We're direct and high volume with both, Dell is consistently lower cost.
    I totally agree

I like how no one bothered to directly respond to the OP's question but instead, self boast about how much volume they do with Dell or how superior another brand is. Typical WHT crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by teck View Post
    I like how no one bothered to directly respond to the OP's question but instead, self boast about how much volume they do with Dell or how superior another brand is. Typical WHT crowd...
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree as still haven't really got a good response. I am also looking for some SuperMicro vendors around Toronto, Canada too!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post

We have thousands of SM servers in production here of our own and the issues are very minimal. Plus when you operate a lot of servers you'll love the fact that SM servers are so much better when it comes to power usage than Dell. Just $5 per server per month can add up. Think $5 * 12(months) * thousands of servers = a whole lot of $. Even on the small scale it's smart to just use SM servers and save a few bucks here and there.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Quote Originally Posted by RandomMaker View Post
    So I've been looking into collocation and thinking of purchasing my servers from Dell. I decided to go through with this configuration: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...oc=PER210II_F1 and was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of buying additional parts. I want to get the bare minimum in terms of RAM and drives since I know I can get cheaper parts elsewhere and install it myself. I've looked at NewEgg and was wondering if you guys have any other recommendations.
    eBay is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomMaker View Post
    To actually tackle your question. Dell charges a premium for everything added to their systems. Most likely this helps them make up for the low margins they make on the base hardware. They also have to support the hardware for an extended period of time which justifies some of the cost, but there is really no talking to them about their disk pricing.

Also keep in mind that if you buy a Dell server and then open a ticket with them and they notice that you have disks, etc in the server that didn't come from them sometimes it can be a little hairy to get decent support. They basically make you take everything out of the server that didn't come from them and then try and reproduce the issue.

We buy hundreds of Dells a month and generally we buy the same servers as our packages so we don't have to upgrade them later, but for certain things it is silly to buy parts from Dell.

Also if you don't want to spend the time to do research about what is decent RAM (not $50 per 4GB) and which disks are appropriate to connect to a Dell/LSI RAID controller you can save time by just buying the servers complete from Dell.
    Last edited by XLHost; 06-15-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: another point to make
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

Still the OP isnt looking to do "bulk" orders...

In his case going down the supermicro route is better as hes looking to fill the dell base with his own hardware anyway...

Cut to the chase, Willy waving how much you save on bulk orders isnt going to help the OP one bit!