Question about VPS

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a VPS to host my website+project repositories and probably test-deploy some web applications, as well as run research code.

I'm wondering whether I'm "locked" to having a VPS once I have one? Let's say 6 months from now I decide I don't need it for a while--what do I do? Do I request a full backup from the provider and suspend my account? I wonder if having a VPS kind of makes me dependent on it.

You can usually request a snapshot, or some providers offer backups from within their client panels without the need to request it. Afterwards you would likely just be required to speak to the providers sales dept to request a suspension/cancellation In other words, no you wouldn't need to depend on the VPS
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

Request a backup or make one yourself, its easily done. And no you are in no way locked in. Then if you decide to get rid and then need another, the provider should restore your back up for you (Compatibility required, obviously)
    Virtual6 - UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation and VPS.
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

Typically it is on a month by month basis and even if you prepay six months you can typically get your remaining money back. Some will try to charge an additional fee for early termination but not generally. Always make your own backups especially if you are going with an unmanaged VPS. Solus VM now seems to be the flavor of the month and allows backups to be generated within the panel some companies disable this feature and force you to request it via ticket.
    Angrygaming Network
    █Web Hosting for Gamers
    █Stats Hosting for Gameservers
    █Why Be The Best If No One Knows It?

Almost every provider offers a month to month (no contract) payment. So you could always cancel at anytime.
    And your data is yours, so you'll never be locked in, grab all your data that you need off your VPS if you decide to cancel.

I'd definitely recommend looking at a budget VPS plan, I think it's best for you to start small. That way you can see if a VPS is right for you, or see how much resources you actually need.

Well if you are thinking of just to play around and try things on non production environment, no harm going for real cheap vpses. I personally believe that its kinda hard to find vps around forum often getting yourself confused. I was once a user too.

You can try going to review websites where the community are vps users / collectors them. Try lowendbox.com and lowendstock.com

cheers and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by yamaguchih View Post
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a VPS to host my website+project repositories and probably test-deploy some web applications, as well as run research code.

I'm wondering whether I'm "locked" to having a VPS once I have one? Let's say 6 months from now I decide I don't need it for a while--what do I do? Do I request a full backup from the provider and suspend my account? I wonder if having a VPS kind of makes me dependent on it.
    Portability is one of the best features of having a VPS. Getting a snapshot or VPS backup will allow you to take that image of your VPS to another hosting company and deploy it there.

You can even give your backup to the hosting company and ask them to import it for you. There may be an additional fee if the hosting company does the import.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

That is fine, if you decide you no longer need the service you submit a cancelation notice to them and request a backup/snapshot of your VPS Service so you can have all your data or you can simply do this yourself as you should always make a backup of your data as you never know what could happen now days and so you can ensure your data is always safe.

The only thing I can see you running into, is if you purchase a service on a 6 month contract (pre-paid) and you decide you no longer want the service anymore after 3 months, some providers will provide you a pro-rated refund for the un-used time and then cancel your VPS; and I've also noticed some that when you purchase ahead of time they will not provide refunds only account credits if you decide you no longer want the service so if your interested in pre-paying for a 6 month term or a 1 year term I would ask the sales department about that and see what there terms are on if you end early.

If you keep it to a monthly billing cycle you should have no problem at all..