Would an atom processor type server do me good?

I have a couple of personal sites with barely any traffic. And I have some friends who I host too.

At max i have maybe 20-25. In total, all of these websites might use around 5-10 gigs of bandwidth a month.

Would an atom based server fit my needs okay?

I've never used one before etc

Should do you well. Atoms are very underrated machines. What other specs does that server include? I would do at least 2 GB RAM
    Richard Perez | PureWeb
    Dedicated Servers - cPanel Web Hosting - cPanel Reseller Hosting
    6 Nationwide Locations. 100% Network SLA. Established in 2007. True 24/7/365 Support.
    Follow us on Twitter: @purewebtech. Network POPS in: LAX - CHI - DFW - NYC - SEA - ATL

A decent VPS system will outrun any Atom system at a lower price.
    ServerAstra.com website / e-mail: info @ serverastra.com
    HU/EU Co-Location / Managed and Unmanaged VDS & Dedicated servers in Hungary with unmetered connections

Why do you need a dedicated server in that case? Just get a reseller account from any of the good hosts and it would be more than enough.

I think what he wants is some control and to play around with things. Well atom is definitely okay for such small hosting purpose. There are plenty budget atom offers around.

Otherwise you might wanna consider Datashack.net. They have dual cores for the price of atom servers.

Also for ease of mind, like backing up the server, reformatting it to a new o/s to try out other things, i would recommend you to use VPS first until you are fully comfortable handling the server on your on.

I can only assume reason why you searching for server instead of a shared hosting or reseller hosting is because you want control and try out some other stuffs.

Datashack offers dual core server ranging from USD59/mth. Review here - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1026542

As for VPS, you can try out those really budget ones first for your try-outs. You can easily find in WHT offer section or go to lowendbox.com or lowendstock.com for summarize list.

cheers and good luck for your search!

For that amount of resource usage you will probably be better served by going with a VPS plan. Not only will a VPS plan allow you to utilize the extra available processing power of the node but you'll get the peace of mind that your data is on redundant hard drives. Management and backups are also important to consider if you're unfamiliar with running your own server. You will also need to pay for control panel licensing costs which will bring the price of a dedicated server up as well.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by ENELIS View Post
    A decent VPS system will outrun any Atom system at a lower price.
    certainly not true.

Quote Originally Posted by MakoS View Post
    Not only will a VPS plan allow you to utilize the extra available processing power of the node
    And other users, on a poorly balanced and way oversold node, can severely impact your VPS' performance.

To avoid this, you need to pay for a more premium VPS host. When you are paying over, for example, $50 for a VPS (I'm assuming unmanaged) you can just as well get a low-budget dedicated server, even from a reputable host. Atom is a great CPU for this.

As I see it, VPS makes sense in countries where dedicated servers are very expensive or if you are fine with the drawbacks of VPS.

I can't speak for those who require a managed solution, however.

For the OP, he is probably best off sticking to shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by MakoS View Post
    but you'll get the peace of mind that your data is on redundant hard drives.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that every VPS node out there is utilizing redundant hard drives?

Whether or not that is true, hard drive redundancy can be accomplished with a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    certainly not true.
    Why is that? We've tested, and it was much faster with the price 2 to 1.12 times less, + Raid 10 HDD's on the hardware RAID card, how can you possibly compare this to Atom low-cost servers? The only + of Atom is that you can get more space, but more is not always needed. I've seen a lot of clients take 1x2 TB but they use only 100-200GB... And mainly because of backups and forgetting to clean up
    ServerAstra.com website / e-mail: info @ serverastra.com
    HU/EU Co-Location / Managed and Unmanaged VDS & Dedicated servers in Hungary with unmetered connections

You can get Atom servers from 25euro - Which includes a real Dualcore CPU + HT (4 total cores), 2-4Gb DEDICATED RAM, and 1-2 HDDs of 250-500Gb Size.

No VPS can compete in the terms of HDD space per buck compared to Atom systems, and most certainly no VPS can give you 2+2 dedicated cores for 25euro (even if they are only at 1,6Ghz).

Also it is real hardware, not some virtualization enviroment.

Compared to a 30euro VPS a 30euro Dedicated Atom Server will always give you more for the buck, at least in terms of dedicated RAM and HDD while having the advantage of unshared network connectivity and fully dedicated hardware.

Besides that, colocating some atom server is dirt cheap - i got offers here down till 10euro / month for 250Gb BW incl. Power.
    The servers themself are also very cheap which means providers can give them out for next to nothing: a Dualcore Atom D510 + 2Gb RAM + 320Gb HDD costs just around 200euro new (without EU tax).

Its more a matter what you prefer, but dedicated Hardware is imo always better than some VPS.

At the end of the day, Atoms are lower performance/watt and higher performance/$ than a full CPU. Also, virtualization allows for better utilization of resources. So for the same amount of computing power, a VPS should always cost significantly less to provide. What the pricing is set at may be another story.

Now, there is the issue of dedicated vs shared resources, but considering the op's needs aren't latency sensitive, that shouldn't be as much of a concern. Thus, VPS would probably make more sense in this particular situation.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

How would an Atom handle those sites if they were WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal, compared to a VPS with shared dual quad and RAID 10?
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Honestly, i want to go the atom route because i want my own dedicated environment. I can't tell you how often I see threads on here when a vps provider is down..because they were scammed (people not paying their reseller bills).

Plus, when you're in a VPS environment.. you have the headache of possibly being pushed into a crowded enviornment. And wasting time with the provider when this happens on resolving the issue. And 9 out of 10 since i'm uneducated with server things, I wouldn't know how to complain correctly and prove problems that are happening. xD

I honestly just can't afford the $165/month i'm paying right now and would like to split the cost in half. So would an atom processor do me okay?

The truth is.. YES, an ATOM will do perfectly fine for you.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Modern (D525) ATOM servers are really pretty solid and fast. In most cases it is I/O that matters most not CPU power. Most dedicated servers use only a fraction of the CPU power available to them.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

+1 for D525 - It is very decent low end processor that should suffice your requirements.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's