View Poll Results: What do you like?

27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux VPS

26 96.30%
  • Widnows VPS

1 3.70%

* What would you use?

For a webhosting company would you buy a windows or linux server?
    Me and my team where having a debate and thought it would be nice to see what we all think about this.

I personally love Linux VPS however my team believe Windows is better to use for Webhosting.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ ~ sales(➾) ~
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

surabaya, indonesia
    i prefer Linux VPS coz i get many client love linux and order on me linux VPS :d
    Fast Host Online Hosting, Domain, VPS, Dedicated Server
    OpenVZ, Xen, And WIndows VPS

Linux is the "norm" when it comes to web hosting. However, a lot of hosting companies also offer Windows servers.

What would I use?

The only reason I'd use a windows vps is if I need to run an application that doesn't run in linux. So far the only time I found myself in this situation is with a customer running an app that requires SQL Server.

LAMP ( Linux (operating system), Apache HTTP Server, MySQL (database software) and Perl/PHP/Python) is best for offering Shared hosting services.
    HostXNow - cPanel Web Hosting | Since 2009
    Fast, Secure & Reliable Managed Pure SSD Hosting
    Helpful and friendly 24x7 Support via Chat & Helpdesk
    Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Backup Hosting

+1 for Linux.

In fact, solely depends on what you going to run. :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

7. #7 that a Microsoft OS with a head cold?
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience:

Rotherham, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post that a Microsoft OS with a head cold?
    lmao that made me chuckle
    Virtual6 - UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation and VPS.
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

San Francisco
    They both have their place, but you'll find that most shared hosting companies (assuming that's what you plan to do) are Linux based.

I use FreeBSD... does that count?

The ONLY reason I would use a Windows machine for web hosting is if it was an ASP application. Otherwise, I would use Windows for LDAP (Active Directory) and possibly some integrated VPN, DNS, and DHCP applications in a branch office or something. Also, I *love* Exchange Server 2010, and that, of course, will only run on a Windows host.

FreeBSD is a solid server but Centos is the king of web servers. Windows 7 for the desktop over Linux any day of the week.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.