Tried to transfer a few domains to 1&1. Horrible experience!

I was looking for a place to transfer my domains and fell for an offer from 1&1 for $4.95. Big mistake! I didn't research about them before.

Tried to transfer 3 domains, just as a test. I'm glad I used domains that are not currently in use. Entered my personal info and my credit card number.

I placed the order somewhere around 6pm. I started waiting and waiting for at least a confirmation email. Just something that says "thank you for your order...", etc. But nothing. At around 11pm I sent an email to sales. I later realize that sales only works from 8am-5pm. At this point I'm disappointed that I have to contact them for help even before becoming a an actual customer!

I wanted to check my account on their website, but I can only login with an account number. Since I have no confirmation email, I don't know my account number yet.

So i patiently wait until next day. I expected a reply at least during the morning. But I get this reply until noon:

Thank you for contacting us.

It can take a few days for a transfer of registrar to finish. I found your ccount by looking up the domains but it does not look like the domains are quite ready at this point. Your account has been assigned a contract ID which is vxxxxxxxx but not yet a customer ID number. Give it at least 24 hours and if you do not receive any confirmation email you can contact our support team at 1-877-461-2631 option 3 to search for your account.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
    So still no customer no, and no way of logging into my account. By this time I did a little research and found that 1&1 has been having problems with their system since beginning of this year. So I realize that waiting is futile. Since I read so many good things about, I decided to give it a try. (not affiliated with them in any way) I went in, created an account, requested transfer of the same 3 domains. Got instant emails, got the confirmation from previous registrar, confirmed the transfer, all within 20 minutes!!

So after seeing that my transfer was finished, I still sent another email to 1&1 telling them to please cancel my order and to delete my account, since I already did the transfer somewhere else.

Then I was outraged when I get a reply addressed to some Julie Chong (That's not my name, I'm a guy!), blaming my previous registrar for the delay! When I'm 100% sure that they haven't started the transfer!!

Thank you for contacting us.

The transfer process will take 24-48 hours as standard. The company you are transferring from can delay this process up to 7 days as stated in the policy. If you have any issues with your domains not transferring feel free to contact our transfers department via email and someone will promptly get in contact with you. ([email protected]). Also if you do want to cancel you will need to contact our cancellations department directly by calling (1.866.258.5616).

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
    So please, if you're looking for a new registrar, stay away from 1&1 who can't even answer an email properly, much less admit their system is not capable of handling the transfer of three measly domain names.

San Diego
    Well now you know...1&1 is one of the worst registrars. They manage to suck a lot of people in, so don't feel bad.
    Have many great domains for sale - high search, high CPC, aged, brandable and more - let me know what you need.
    FrontSpace now offering social media, email marketing, branding, product creation and content services