Considering Virtualizing My Dedi

I have a dedicated server with an Intel i7 950 (4x3.06 GHz), 1.0 TB SATA II HDD, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and 1 Gbps bandwidth. I was using it primarily for cPanel so I had a system-wide cPanel install. This interfered with other operations later on like gameservers, etc. I was planning to reimage my server from CentOS 5.6 64-bit with a system-wide cPanel installation to some linux OS running a virtualization kernel to create separate VMs for what I'm doing. I would like to have a virtual machine for cPanel, another for game/voice servers, another for VPN/etc. What do you recommend that I do to satisfy my needs? Thanks in advance!

Durham, NC USA
    If you've already got CentOS installed, then you may want to consider just using Xen. All you'd have to do is install the requisite packages and use the Xen kernel.

You could even leave the CPanel stuff on the dom0 and use the other VMs for your other needs.
    Netmar Web Services - Reliable Web Hosting for 15 years
    Shared hosting, business hosting, domain name registration, and VMware virtual servers
    Specializing in Drupal hosting
    Call 866-363-8627 (toll-free) and ask about our Drupal accounts

Karachi, Pakistan
    Isn't running anything on dom0 considered a security risk?

No worse than running a single physical server though.

Your best bet is to build the system locally using xen or VMware and then upload your virtual machines to a host. VMware have a P2V (Physical to Virtual) tool that can create a virtual machine image from your existing server. You could use this as a starting point, rather than working on your production server.
    ██ Enterprise Class Cloud Hosting And Disaster Recovery. SAN Replication.
    ██ VMware Hosting on HP Blades With NetApp or EqualLogic SAN Storage. 100% Guaranteed Uptime.
    ██ Build Your Own Virtual DataCentre In The Cloud. Fully Integrated With vCenter.
    ██ StratoGen Are An Authorised VMware Partner |

Singapore, Woodlands
    Depends on budget, you can have VMware or KVM. With KVM, you can install almost any other o/s as well. There is alot of KVM guides out there. Of course the trusted and known ones would be Xen and VMware.

Virtualization is definitely way to go so that you can gradually expand or disperse your resource usage for other purpose in the future. Having such a reasonable powered box, virtualization would do you more benefits and less hassles when comes deploying different things.

NJ, USA
    Protip: if you're only using 1 disk, don't run VM's unless you have some rockin' backups.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Protip: RAID and backups.

Aren't you paying full dedicated price for cPanel anyways even after you virtualise it?

Tampa, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Aren't you paying full dedicated price for cPanel anyways even after you virtualise it?
    not at all, it's a reduced cost. xen is a good start but I'd go with esxi.
    Dave Parish