Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147

    Talking New concept - give your opinions!

    Hiya all. I have nearly finished my new website design, and would like some opinions on the style and feel before I go too much deeper.

    http://www.pluswebhost.com/concept/

    Forgive the crude watermarks, just don't want my stuff ripped ya know? Also much of the bottom area is still a work in progress, so don't be too harsh on that either.

    Thanks!
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    10,473
    Well people know me for my honest opinions, I think personally it is horrible!

    But in saying that, the design is not finished correct, being a concept I'd say you are still working on it all. I am not sure I like how you have it all set out presently, but there is always going to be room for improvement.

    I will have a look more at it, but for me I personally do not like it
    l Clever Emu (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2003
    l Leading UK and Ireland Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Well people know me for my honest opinions, I think personally it is horrible!

    But in saying that, the design is not finished correct, being a concept I'd say you are still working on it all. I am not sure I like how you have it all set out presently, but there is always going to be room for improvement.

    I will have a look more at it, but for me I personally do not like it
    Thanks for your honest opinion . You're correct in that it's not finished (buttons, etc.) Do you mind telling me what you don't like about it, so I can get a different outlook?
    Last edited by PlayHost; 06-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    10,473
    Well the logo really isn't punchy enough, it seems rather small for my liking- The text is quite small in the logo and the sub-line well if you had bad vision I would not expect to be able to read what it says.

    I think you have an idea where you are going, that is a plus but I just feel it's kind of generic in a way, plain, dull, un-interesting.

    The footer is a complete mess with all those logos with the use of the colors down there.

    Then what is the point of this?
    http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/6062744189010893767.png

    You seem to have logos all over the place from top to bottom, do you need two Windows logos at the top to represent they are Windows Systems?

    I am not sure but for me I don't see why you need two. However, take this as criticism as I have seen it happen quite often enough.

    I am not trying to put your site down as BAD but it's still got a way to go!
    l Clever Emu (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2003
    l Leading UK and Ireland Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Well the logo really isn't punchy enough, it seems rather small for my liking- The text is quite small in the logo and the sub-line well if you had bad vision I would not expect to be able to read what it says.

    I think you have an idea where you are going, that is a plus but I just feel it's kind of generic in a way, plain, dull, un-interesting.

    The footer is a complete mess with all those logos with the use of the colors down there.

    Then what is the point of this?
    http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/6062744189010893767.png

    You seem to have logos all over the place from top to bottom, do you need two Windows logos at the top to represent they are Windows Systems?

    I am not sure but for me I don't see why you need two. However, take this as criticism as I have seen it happen quite often enough.

    I am not trying to put your site down as BAD but it's still got a way to go!
    Thanks for the input. Your opinion was actually quite unexpected, as your site was one I liked quite a bit, and looked at before designing.

    I'll be taking what you said into consideration. I've actually been looking into some logo firms, to try to get a more professional look. I also agree that in it's current state, it looks very generic. That's something I wouldn't have realized on my own.

    I've been reading a ton of stuff on conversion rate optimization, so I probably went overboard with the logos .

    Thanks again man, it's nice to see some honest opinions.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    187
    I don't like the background color and the color scheme in general, in my opinion it would better suit a handmade products shop, a fine grocery store or something like that.

    Personally, for a web hosting site, I'd go for a totally different color scheme.

    Additionally I'd use thinner and antialiased borders, but since you're still working on it I guess this is not the level of details you're looking for.

    Lastly, as Sparrow-Sean write, I'd make the logo bigger, maybe making half of it go out of the top bar and overlap the top of the main content area which is currently empty.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    ^ I've actually got a bunch of backgrounds I've been experiencing with. I was going for some sort of 'warm' color scheme, but this was my original idea:

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/siteis.jpg/

    Took some ideas you guys mentioned and modified it real quick.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    While yes, a problem with your new concept are design related such as color, borders, etc. etc., a larger problem is with your layout. What most individuals do not understand about creating a website are the steps that precede actually diving into Photoshop.

    You need to first analyze what is wrong with your current site, either based on your own analysis or if you're too involved, get someone else to look at it, preferably someone with marketing experience to pinpoint areas that could be improved and what could be added/taken away. A website is functional and it's about improving performance/conversions and not necessarily aesthetics, though they most of the time go hand-in-hand as people respond better to well designed sites.

    Once you've identified the issues, the next step is to come up with content, whether it's rewritten from what you originally have or written from scratch. Writing good copy goes a long way in getting someone to buy your product. It's not just about design.

    With your content in hand, now you have to figure out how to show this content in the best possible way, preferably through creating wireframes, even if they're just hand sketched on pen and paper. Do you see what you're struggling with with your new concept? You have empty buttons and boxes and you're unsure what to put in them and how to arrange them, so you have them sort of scattered around which doesn't really make sense. For example, testimonials at the top of your body, some widget about a new website below that, empty space next to that, a support box to the right with a chat button above that. The layout doesn't make sense. Ask yourself, where do you want the viewer to look. What is important to draw their attention, then focus on that and lay out the site accordingly.

    If you think this is a lot of work, well, it is. That is why when you hire someone to do this, you pay big bucks, and I'm talking about real designers who's prices end up in the thousands, not hundreds. It's not an easy job and if you have the dedication and skills to get it done, go for it. Otherwise, a design, while custom, may not be better off than a template off ThemeForest that's used by many.

    I see you've already taken criticism constructively and that is why I'm taking the time to write this out, as you seem like someone who is willing to learn and improve and that's really great to see. Best of luck and keep us posted.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    While yes, a problem with your new concept are design related such as color, borders, etc. etc., a larger problem is with your layout. What most individuals do not understand about creating a website are the steps that precede actually diving into Photoshop.

    You need to first analyze what is wrong with your current site, either based on your own analysis or if you're too involved, get someone else to look at it, preferably someone with marketing experience to pinpoint areas that could be improved and what could be added/taken away. A website is functional and it's about improving performance/conversions and not necessarily aesthetics, though they most of the time go hand-in-hand as people respond better to well designed sites.

    Once you've identified the issues, the next step is to come up with content, whether it's rewritten from what you originally have or written from scratch. Writing good copy goes a long way in getting someone to buy your product. It's not just about design.

    With your content in hand, now you have to figure out how to show this content in the best possible way, preferably through creating wireframes, even if they're just hand sketched on pen and paper. Do you see what you're struggling with with your new concept? You have empty buttons and boxes and you're unsure what to put in them and how to arrange them, so you have them sort of scattered around which doesn't really make sense. For example, testimonials at the top of your body, some widget about a new website below that, empty space next to that, a support box to the right with a chat button above that. The layout doesn't make sense. Ask yourself, where do you want the viewer to look. What is important to draw their attention, then focus on that and lay out the site accordingly.

    If you think this is a lot of work, well, it is. That is why when you hire someone to do this, you pay big bucks, and I'm talking about real designers who's prices end up in the thousands, not hundreds. It's not an easy job and if you have the dedication and skills to get it done, go for it. Otherwise, a design, while custom, may not be better off than a template off ThemeForest that's used by many.

    I see you've already taken criticism constructively and that is why I'm taking the time to write this out, as you seem like someone who is willing to learn and improve and that's really great to see. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Hey Wicked, thanks for the input. I considered what you said and scrapped my original layout. Perhaps you (and everyone else!) can give some input on this new design I've tried out.

    http://www.pluswebhost.com/concept2/

    Thanks again!
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    Much better! Really dig the blue with the lime green accents. Nice layout of feature offer in the hero section, 3 product boxes below that, testimonials and other details under that. The layout makes a lot of sense with good flow.

    The feature offer is really nicely done with the price, coupon, and expire date laid out in a way that makes sense. My one suggestion would be to see if the orange button can be made a bit larger.

    Overall, great improvements! Good job.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Much better! Really dig the blue with the lime green accents. Nice layout of feature offer in the hero section, 3 product boxes below that, testimonials and other details under that. The layout makes a lot of sense with good flow.

    The feature offer is really nicely done with the price, coupon, and expire date laid out in a way that makes sense. My one suggestion would be to see if the orange button can be made a bit larger.

    Overall, great improvements! Good job.
    Thanks, man. Without the input you and Sean gave me (Fed too), I probably would have gone live with the other one. I'm glad I stopped and asked for opinions before proceeding further with it .

    Just FYI, the site is now live at http://www.pluswebhost.com/ in case anyone is interested in seeing the finished (finished for now, at least ) product.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Changed a few things (header, background), if anyone has some input that would be really great .

    Thanks again, it's nice to get some critical input. It makes me push myself harder.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5
    Ok, well I didn't get to see your earlier version so I will let you know what my opinion is on it now. Menu bar and header is fine, blue middle background would be better if it all blended with the left/right side backgrounds, if you look to the right of "Windows ASP.NET Hosting" section you will see two corner rounds that are shown(content.png), the background image that I just posted I do not believe it should be just an image it should be coded as separate images and styling, finally the footer does not need the very bottom green and blue lines it should all be black under the first green line.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6
    Page is getting a 404, let us know when its back up so I can check it out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyj31 View Post
    Ok, well I didn't get to see your earlier version so I will let you know what my opinion is on it now. Menu bar and header is fine, blue middle background would be better if it all blended with the left/right side backgrounds, if you look to the right of "Windows ASP.NET Hosting" section you will see two corner rounds that are shown(content.png), the background image that I just posted I do not believe it should be just an image it should be coded as separate images and styling, finally the footer does not need the very bottom green and blue lines it should all be black under the first green line.
    Hi,

    Thank you very much for your input. I would never have noticed the round corner edges without you mentioning it

    I also have taken your advice, and chose to make the footer bar completely black under the original lines. Thanks!

    Regarding the blue hero area however, I've been having trouble thinking of a good way to do this.

    Thanks again, your input is appreciated .

    jzenith I ended up going live with the design (concept 2), if you're still interested in critiquing you can find it at the main URL now. Thanks!
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

  16. #16
    i get a 404 error when trying to see the website

  17. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Give me opinions please...
    By wuwen in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 03:03 PM
  2. give me some opinions on web hosts (please)
    By leoo24 in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 02:22 PM
  3. Opinions/comments on concept designs required
    By Kunal Damani in forum Web Site Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2002, 04:32 PM
  4. What do I do? Please give opinions
    By shibby in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2002, 06:00 PM
  5. Please give us your opinions
    By andyfal in forum Web Site Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2001, 05:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •