Lunarpages Shared Hosting & slow MySql / PHP loading times

For over a year at LP everything was smooth sailing until they recently installed CloudLinux at which point my static HTML pages loaded fine but any page using PHP/MySQL dynamic content (specifically WP and EE) started taking 5 to 10 seconds to load.

After going round and round with LP tech support I copied the site to two other hosts, both also running CloudLinux and with similar resource limits and my PHP/MySQL pages were once again fine.

LP claimed that the problem was on my end, specifically that I was using over 50 simultaneous MySQL connections. However my new host only allows 25 concurrent connections and my site is perfectly fine!

The LP support specifically pointed to this resource usage stat as being problematic:
    "Number of MySQL procs (average) - 0.25"
    They claimed this meant I was using .25% of the total MySQL connections available on the shared server and that LP only allows .20% which calculates to 50 connections.

Yet, even with the traffic load completely removed from LP the pages still loaded slowly.

My traffic volume ranges from about 500 to 1000 visitors per day.

I've run across several other's who have had the same problem recently at LP. The tech support turns a deaf ear to this problem it seems.

An LP customer service person actually contacted me and listened and promised to look in to it but it is too late to keep me as an LP customer.

Anyone else experience this or have a theory as to what is going on? My uneducated theory is that LP has something misconfigured in their CloudLinux install.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by srIIIradio View Post
    For over a year at LP everything was smooth sailing until they recently installed CloudLinux at which point my static HTML pages loaded fine but any page using PHP/MySQL dynamic content (specifically WP and EE) started taking 5 to 10 seconds to load.

After going round and round with LP tech support I copied the site to two other hosts, both also running CloudLinux and with similar resource limits and my PHP/MySQL pages were once again fine.

LP claimed that the problem was on my end, specifically that I was using over 50 simultaneous MySQL connections. However my new host only allows 25 concurrent connections and my site is perfectly fine!

The LP support specifically pointed to this resource usage stat as being problematic:
    They claimed this meant I was using .25% of the total MySQL connections available on the shared server and that LP only allows .20% which calculates to 50 connections.

Yet, even with the traffic load completely removed from LP the pages still loaded slowly.

I've run across several other's who have had the same problem recently at LP. The tech support turns a deaf ear to this problem it seems.

An LP customer service person actually contacted me and listened and promised to look in to it but it is too late to keep me as an LP customer.

Anyone else experience this or have a theory as to what is going on? My uneducated theory is that LP has something misconfigured in their CloudLinux install.

Thank you!!
    500-1000 unique users on a shared account per day? You need to invest in a VPS.

The reason why it's slow is because it's supposed to be slow. CloudLinux prevents people from overloading the server. Prior to cloudlinux, you were using too many resources and getting away with it.

Thank you!!
    My guess is that you are experiencing a slow down on the database layer.

Make sure you have proper indexes in place, archive old data and most importantly look into using memcache/memcached to avoid utilization of costly database operations with every page load.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    1000 unique users per day is about 1.5 requests/per minute. He does not need to invest in a VPS as any shared web hosting worth a salt can handle this without any issues.

There is no need to respond with the goal of up-selling your services without giving any sort of a proper advice.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    1000 unique users per day is about 1.5 requests/per minute. He does not need to invest in a VPS as any shared web hosting worth a salt can handle this without any issues.

There is no need to respond with the goal of up-selling your services without giving any sort of a proper advice.
    It would be clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. That's 1,000 uniques, not page views. If the average user has say, 20 page views, then that is approximately 14 page views per minute. However, on forums and other popular websites such as a blog, a unique user may make over 100 page views per day, which is 1.16 views per second.

Either way, the OP needs to invest in a VPS not because of page views, rather then the fact he has 50+ mysql connections at one time, which is way to much for any shared host, even one that is worth a pepper.

If you are going to make accusations that I am posting my personal advice in order to make a sale, you need to back that information up with some hard evidence. The job I hold at Generation-Host is an account manager position. It is not my job to make sales, and I am not paid to promote them. I have made well over a thousand helpful posts to this forum, including posts similar to the one above while not representing a company.

Determining what advice is proper and what is not proper, is neither your job nor your responsibility as a member of this forum. Inevitably it is the OP's choice to choose the company and service he subscribes to in order to fulfill his hosting needs. If you have a personal problem or want to make other childish accusations, you may PM me.

Cheers!

It would be clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. That's 1,000 uniques, not page views. If the average user has say, 20 page views, then that is approximately 14 page views per minute. However, on forums and other popular websites such as a blog, a unique user may make over 100 page views per day, which is 1.16 views per second.

Either way, the OP needs to invest in a VPS not because of page views, rather then the fact he has 50+ mysql connections at one time, which is way to much for any shared host, even one that is worth a pepper.

If you are going to make accusations that I am posting my personal advice in order to make a sale, you need to back that information up with some hard evidence. The job I hold at Generation-Host is an account manager position. It is not my job to make sales, and I am not paid to promote them. I have made well over a thousand helpful posts to this forum, including posts similar to the one above while not representing a company.

Determining what advice is proper and what is not proper, is neither your job nor your responsibility as a member of this forum. Inevitably it is the OP's choice to choose the company and service he subscribes to in order to fulfill his hosting needs. If you have a personal problem or want to make other childish accusations, you may PM me.

Cheers!
    I'm not sure why you are making up the claims that the visitors are unique and also coming up with a random number of how many pages each user views.

You have no data on that nor has the author of this thread shared this data with anybody.

Even by your overblown and made up calculations it will still round up at around 9 requests per minute, which is again is a piece of cake.

Again you are making assumptions that he has 50+ mysql connections; even with VPS he will have to address any database issues he might have using list of options I provided.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.

I'm not sure why you are making up the claims that the visitors are unique and also coming up with a random number of how many pages each user views.

You have no data on that nor has the author of this thread shared this data with anybody.

Even by your overblown and made up calculations it will still round up at around 9 requests per minute, which is again is a piece of cake.

Again you are making assumptions that he has 50+ mysql connections; even with VPS he will have to address any database issues he might have using list of options I provided.
    Righto, let's take a look at some facts, shall we?

any page using PHP/MySQL dynamic content (specifically WP and EE) started taking 5 to 10 seconds to load.
    Alright, looks like the OP is using some PHP/MySQL content that is taking a long time to load.

LP claimed that the problem was on my end, specifically that I was using over 50 simultaneous MySQL connections.
    Looks like LP says he has over 50 simultaneous connections.

Usually visitors = unique people, where as pageviews = not unique people. This is where I get the unique visitors to the site.

Lets do some math, based on a few wordpress sites that I have seen statistics to, a visitor may make well over 100 page views, so...

1000 Visitors x 100 Page Views each = 100,000 Impressions a Day
    = 4166 Impressions a Hour
    = 69 Impressions a Minute
    = 1.16 Impressions a Second

On a database heavy website like word press, that is a LOT of mysql requests.

I'm not sure where you get 9 requests a minute from.

Either way, my reply to you specifically was not in regard to your suggestion to the OP, rather you make a direct accusation that I posted in order to make a sale. This is absurd and immature, and hopefully the OP realizes this when he considers your advice.

Cheers!

Now you are bumping 14 page requests (you originally made up) he was receiving per user to 100.

Like I previously stated in my first post, his issue needs to be properly addressed at the root and there is absolutely no need to buy a VPS; if those issues are addressed he will have a successful hosting experience with his current provider.

Furthermore, in addition to my list of suggestions; I would recommend to look at: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/quick-cache/.

Now you are bumping 14 page requests (you originally made up) he was receiving per user to 100.

Like I previously stated in my first post, his issue needs to be properly addressed at the root and there is absolutely no need to buy a VPS; if those issues are addressed he will have a successful hosting experience with his current provider.

Furthermore, in addition to my list of suggestions; I would recommend to look at: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/quick-cache/.
    What in the world are you talking about? Did you read my reply to your original post? I said...

f the average user has say, 20 page views, then that is approximately 14 page views per minute. However, on forums and other popular websites such as a blog, a unique user may make over 100 page views per day, which is 1.16 views per second.
    I referenced 100 page views per person in my second reply to this topic. I haven't bumped anything up. Clearly you don't know how to read properly.

If the user is indeed using over 50+ database connections then he needs a VPS. Caching can only go so far, and you can end up loosing important content such as comments, or other necessary information.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just a couple points of clarification.
    I had 7900 pageviews in the last 7 days. Also I really don't think I had over 50 connections. My current host limits me to 25 and things are a-ok. Also new host is running cloudlinux.
    Last edited by srIIIradio; 06-10-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Additionally, perhaps it is you posting goal of up-selling your services, esspecially shared hosting at AMDwebhost.

Actually, anyone who posts with a signature is trying to advertise their company. I mean it is a public forum, isn't that the point? Anyway, cheers to you.

Good luck to the OP, you might try a different host, since the issue seems to be only prevalent in LP.

I don't think either of you actually READ what the OP said. How can he be on a host that has a limit of 25 MySQL connections if he was running 50? Either way, stick with the new one and call it good.

He also changed to about 1100 "pageviews" not visitors per month.

It maybe very well that LP is either overselling their servers, or they just set their CloudLinux settings way to low. Either way, I don't see any reason why your couldn't be on a shared from a good company..
    The nice thing about facebook, is you can post comments from someone, and no one will know if that person actually said it. - George Washington

if your website really uses over 50 concurrent mysql connections, a shared hosting is absolutely not suitable to deal with.

I have shared clients who are getting 3,000+ uniques per day, 500-1,000 uniques per day

In my opinion there is no need for a VPS, lunar pages should be able to handle it
    Hostwinds Unlimited Web Hosting
    Cpanel/WHM | Not Oversold | Low Server Loads | Reseller / Business Plans Available
    VPS Hosting | OpenVZ | SolusVM | Popular Distributions | Windows VPS's