Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Help finding a dedicated box.

Hello! I'm looking for the cheapest piece of crap box I can find, it will be running ONE gameserver, this is the requirements (apparently)

1 megabit upstream
    Windows XP (Quite sure no one offer this so 2003 i guess.)
    512 MB of RAM 1 GB+ would be better, server process takes around 350 MB)
    A not-too-slow CPU
    DirectX required.

The support should only be required if hardware failes, or to logon and terminate the firewall if i lockmyself out at installation, that's all.

Locations: EU only. It's a FPS server, bad ping = death trap.
    NO unix systems. Windows only. If someone managed to find a host offering XP for some reason, I'd owe you a virtual beer.

EDIT: WOuld be nice with a moneyback guarantee, no questions ask thing since it's 50% the gameserver wont work.
    EDIT2: NO setup fee's as well.
    EDIT3: No budget, as you can understand = The cheapest i can find, is the one I'll get.
    Last edited by Plankt0n; 06-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Look at Hetzner. They are the KING of Budget Dedicated Servers.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Took a look at Hetzner, but their order system is confusing and agreement links to .pdf's seems to be broken..

Edit: aodat2, how come your order page isn't secured? I took a look at your dedicated offers.
    Last edited by Plankt0n; 06-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Erm... I'm so so so sorry about our order page or anything on our website. We are revamping our website at this moment and everything on the old website is just broken or invalid. Totally totally wrong!

If you're asking why the order page on WHMCS is not secure, that's because everything is still under construction. However with that said, I personally do not really feel it being necessary to be having it as a secured page just for the order form. However if we're talking about Payment, then YES it is definitely a MUST to be on a secure page.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

No worries, I know how it is! Still working on my thing as well! A tip is to change the WHMCS installation folder name to something else.

Also, goes for the admin installation,

http://www.welltodocentury.com/whmcs/admin/login.php

How to do this is explained on whmcs wiki under installation, extra security!

Good look! Took a look at Burst.net's offers as well but their order thing is also really frustrating... I guess I'm to used to WHMCS.

Shouldn't be so worried. Had alot of license problems when I was setting up. A reinstallation etc etc of whmcs always screwed my license up. Ok, so any ideas on where i can find a dedi?

Quote Originally Posted by Plankt0n View Post
    Took a look at Hetzner, but their order system is confusing and agreement links to .pdf's seems to be broken..
    Just to confirm, you were looking at http://www.hetzner.de/en/ right?
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

No hetzner.com. Seems to be the same site (EN version) aber, ich kann doch deutsch sprechen

OK, was too lazy to change everything, was my fault. But since someone mentioned it, SSL has been installed, Admin changed, installation directory not changed because to me it makes not much difference. I'd still advertise my installation directory to the public in order for them to make orders anyways. So it's kinda like redundant to change the installation directory anyways.

Don't really see where the extra security is at in changing the directory of install for WHMCS. If I were to get a white labeled copy, yes... I would change it. But since at the bottom, there's "WHMCS" signature, there's not much point in not letting people know anyways. Not much difference.

By the way, we just migrated from ClientExec so it's kinda on the process of transfer. But I totally do not know, I might keep both where the old clients stays on ClientExec and the new ones go to WHMCS.
    Last edited by aodat2; 06-11-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

I had my WHMCS installation path "hidden" by using subdomain, this way it wont show a /whmcs in the URL, your setup is different that's why.

Anyhow, still haven't found a provider. Still looking. Couldn't find any good at the offer section

You can look at kimsufi.ie or ovh.ie - really cheap but the ping for your gameservers won't be the best.
    There is also leaseweb.com - excellent network!
    I've been hosting my gameservers on a R210Plus at killercreation.co.uk for the past 9 months, everything has been great.

Leaseweb.com Intel T5500/1GB/1x160GB (DC3) for 33 euro, this is EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! Thank you a lot misspink! I'll also take a look at kimsufi.ie and ovh, though I'm quite sure I've seen some pretty bad reviews about kimsufi... hmmm Time to google.

Edit A total of 60$ for their Intel T5500 server (Windows 2008 price included!) A very fair price IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Plankt0n View Post
    Leaseweb.com Intel T5500/1GB/1x160GB (DC3) for 33 euro, this is EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! Thank you a lot misspink! I'll also take a look at kimsufi.ie and ovh, though I'm quite sure I've seen some pretty bad reviews about kimsufi... hmmm Time to google.

Edit A total of 60$ for their Intel T5500 server (Windows 2008 price included!) A very fair price IMO.
    It would be interesting to find out why they are using a CPU designed for laptops in dedicated servers. Especially when the T5500 has less features, is slower, uses more power, and is much more expensive than an Atom D510.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

have a look at lowenddedi.net if you are still looking.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

I would look into serverbeach.com They are a data center that is linked to the backbone of the internet. And they are very fast and reliable. I have there I Love Geek deal and it is a very good price for what is offered and they pack some great service. Also you are not dealing with a company but with a data center. Hope this helps!

- Zack

Yep still looking, someone is going to take a look if they can offer me a discounted dedi as well. So yeah still looking like mad, thanks for those 2 tips. Currently browsing low end and server breach.

Give a call to serverbeach and they can give you help in any way with picking a plan. The support and sales staff while getting my box where uber nice and always wanting to help.

Let us know if you find something suitable. I'll speak to my data center as well, maybe they can offer you something.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Alright, and once again to be clear. (Thanks everyone by the way)

Minimum Requirements.
    1 Core CPU, 2.0-3.0 GHZ, Don't think an Atom will do. Not sure. (prove me wrong, No idea about atom performance)
    512MB DDR2
    Windows 2003-2008 Standard.
    Europe Hosted.
    Stable connection, (FPS Gaming server)
    No setup fee. Or a decreased /m price if setupfee.

Preferred Requirements.
    2 Core CPU, 1.0-3.0 GHZ, Don't think an Atom will do. Not sure. (prove me wrong, No idea about atom performance)
    1024-2048MB DDR2
    Windows 2003-2008 Standard.
    Europe Hosted.
    Stable connection, (FPS Gaming server)
    No setup fee. Or a decreased /m price if setupfee.

I'm a poor IT Administrator! Keep that in mind,

Anything above 50 Euro a month and it's not worth it. The server will have no sort of income and will only run One gameserver, along with maybe an FTP server for uploading config files w/e. If anyone manage to find a host willing to provide Windows XP (Yeah I know, not a real server software) I'd give you a virtual beer.
    Last edited by Plankt0n; 06-13-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Can't edit anymore for some reason, anyhow is this price really reasonable?

ATM Dual Core 330
    Dual Atom 330 @ 3.2GHz
    CPU / Processor
    250GB SATA (7200 RPM)
    Hard Drive
    2GB of DDR2
    RAM / Memory
    10TB Level3, BGP, Cogent
    Monthy Data Transfer
    5 IPs / 100MB Port
    # IPs / Port Speed
    $129.99 / Month

Ya I would think that is very good. But I would look into there up time guarantee and see if they have any reviews on WHT first. As you never know, the company might have a bad past.

I know about this company already, but the amount requested is to steep. Since it excludes the windows software license.

Is that port speed good enough?

100 should be enough yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast