TIP: Using rsync over SSH for Backups

Wrote this up to help people out with using rsync and ssh to transfer files. You can combine this approach with your backup scripts to make a nice backup system or use it to sync two servers.
    http://www.rackaid.com/resources/tips/rsync-ssh.cfm

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

I have been looking at your site and your service of backing up servers remotely for $25 for 5 gigs of space and 50 gigs of trasnfer.

Can you explain more.

I have a local tape drive rotating daily but if this can be done off site that would be nice IF it was safe while in transit and also safe once on your site (firewall)

But how is this done without eating up a ton of bandwidth on our network?

How long does the transfer take, what gets backed up?

I am on PSA 5.04

Robert

I might aswell. Because of the clever way rsync is written, it will transfer all of your stuff in one go (lets say two three gigs), and then only update modified things (as in, if you have fifty files and one is modified, that one will be updated--not all fifty).

rsync IS a secret weapon - once you learn about it it can do amazing things.

You can even use it to keep MANY days worth of backups in a small fraction of the normal space - the only files that are duplicated in different backup sets are the files that are really different in content.

Hey Jim good to see you over here.. Have not seen you around.. used to seeing your at Plesk

robert