Specs Requirement for Webhosting

Hello.

I've been using Shared Hosts and they easily supported about 10,000 daily visitors but now my traffic has growed up and I'm looking for a VPS or Dedicated machine but I don't exactly know what specifications of the server would serve my needs because I don't want to spend extra money.

Here are the details :

-> I can expect 10,000 to 20,000 daily visitors.
    -> At a single time, I can expect about 200 users.

I don't really know how much Ram or CPU would be required to serve the purpose for me. I'm just giving a guess that 2Ghz processor and 1Gb Ram would be more than enough for this.

Network is a major factor. Bandwidth is not a problem as monthly I don't consume more than 500GB at my blogs. About the Network, there are things like 10mbps unmetered or 100mbps metered but I want to know how much would I need for users at a time because more users at a time would require a wider bandwidth port. So how much rate of bandwidth could be consumed by 200 users at a time so I can chose between 10mbps unmetered and 100mbps metered.

Thanks, this will help me in choosing server specs.

Since nobody is going to reply... let me be the one doing it 1st like I always do. LOL. (blabbermouth)

A site like that could be put on a VPS. A Mid-Range VPS should do nicely for that site however, you need to choose well because not all VPS providers give you dedicated resources and etc. If uptime is a concern, then a Dedicated Server would be a better solution.

As for the specs... For something like that even an Atom is good enough. I'd say have around 2GB RAM would be perfect. There's not much in there since you're just saying it's a blog. However, you need to make sure that the scripts used are optimized. A lot of times, bloggers will come here and start making noise that their server is slow and etc even when they have 8GB RAM and a very good CPU. That's usually because the scripts they use are not optimized and it's just written in haste and nobody cared to look at it properly.

Coming to the port. Of coz a wider port would give a faster connection. But bare in mind, you're just running a blog. Is there a lot of pictures, and etc in your blog? If there's nothing to download, just words and a background picture or etc, then 10Mbps should be good but if there's more than that, then I'd go for the 100Mbps. Depends on your needs and also your requirements.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Just another information I would like to know :

1) How much Network Rate ( mbps ) do you think 200 people accessing the website at the same time would use ?

2) Lets say, I have 100mbps port. Does it mean someone downloading off my server/website at this full speed may result in my website's Network access not to be functional anymore ?

A 10mbps port would be enough, let alone a 100mbps port, if you're using 500gb / mo. Think about it, 500gb in a month, that's less than 2mbps average usage, peaks probably at 3-4mbps. If a 100mbps port doesn't cost any extra, by all means, go with that, but either way it should be more than enough, and there's no reason to go with a faster port than that.

As to the specs, it's hard to say for sure since some blog plugins such as for wordpress, can be some pretty big hogs. As was said, for a typical site, it may fit well on a VPS, but you have to make sure it's with a company that's not overselling. If you go with a dedicated server, an atom might work, but if it doesn't cost much more I would go with at least a core2duo. 2gb ram might work as well, but again, if it doesn't cost much more I would go with at least 4gb ram. Considering that the retail value on 4gb ram is about $60 these days, going with 4gb ram should have a minimal effect on the rental cost of your server compared to 2gb, and if you run out of ram you can be in trouble pretty quickly.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by AsadMoeen View Post
    Just another information I would like to know :

1) How much Network Rate ( mbps ) do you think 200 people accessing the website at the same time would use ?

2) Lets say, I have 100mbps port. Does it mean someone downloading off my server/website at this full speed may result in my website's Network access not to be functional anymore ?
    I actually want to know about this now.

All depends on the content that they're downloading, the distance and their speed.

If your coonection speed is 10Mbps expect a total monthly bandwidth allowance of 3TB IN + 3TB OUT. Usually depends on what your visitors are downloading will determince if this is enough.

For example, we have a client that runs a small blog that delivers photoshop tutorials, tricks and tips that contains alot of downloads. On avg. he utilizes about 2.3 to 2.8 TB of Data Transfer each month but he also has an average of 60K - 70K visitors daily. Which is 4 to 7 times what your expecting.

In your case a 100Mbps Port with 10TB of Data is more than enough. (Just depends what they're downloading)

If you will use a cache software for your site you can handle much more on the same shared account. If you are looking for a vps i wil be ok 2000mb ram and at least 2cpu
    http://gsoftcentral.com/ !
    █ Shared, Radio Shoutcast & Reseller Web Hosting
    █ 100% Managed VDS Bucharest Romania