Domain names, who actually owns them.

This is just a general enquiry; who actually owns un-owned domain names.
    I mean why if a domain name is available, am I buying it of a hosting company of X amount? Yet that particular company doesn't own the name because I can goto half a dozen companies and it will be available with them all.

For example I used my name as a test and it was (no suprise) available as a .com

But one site I could buy it for about $14 and another was about $8 and another around $12, why are they all charging different amount for me to own a domain name of my name when clearly they don't own it themselves?

So in short, my original question, who owns the un-owned domain names?

ICANN.
    when you register a name you aren't actually buying it, rather you are leasing it for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by EmuHost-Pete View Post
    ICANN.
    when you register a name you aren't actually buying it, rather you are leasing it for a period of time.
    So in effect are they (the hosting companies) saying "You pay us $12 and for the next 12 months we'll register your domain name so that no one else can use it" another company is saying "We'll do the same but it costs $14", rather than me buying the name off of them.
    So I presume then there must be a definitive list of every registered domain name, to/from date etc that they add this domain to?

You're paying for a license to use the domain for a period of time. The registrar makes a profit -- hence the price differences -- and pays the registry. Each registrar pays the registry the same fee (for ICANN-accredited registrars).

The registry is accredited by ICANN, who collect a few cents for each domain year licensed by the registry.

Each registry maintains the database of all domains registered in their particular TLD.

Informative...thanks.

A domain does not exist until it is registered. In practice it is little more than an entry in a database that you pay to maintain.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

It almost is like owning real estate anywhere you have to pay real estate taxes; you don't truly own it. Don't believe me? Try not paying taxes on it and see what happens.

No one owns a domain until it is registered...and when you register it, you merely lease the rights to use it. You are registering it from the registry that runs the extension via a registrar. The registry owns it and you are leasing it from them.

The registry thus is the closest entity to "owning" an unregistered domain, but they don't. Verisign once tried to put their own content on unregistered domains in the extensions they ran (.com and .net) and that lasted maybe a day or two before they were ordered to stop...unregistered domains are not in use by ANYONE.
    Have many great domains for sale - high search, high CPC, aged, brandable and more - let me know what you need.
    FrontSpace now offering social media, email marketing, branding, product creation and content services

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    A domain does not exist until it is registered. In practice it is little more than an entry in a database that you pay to maintain.
    yes ,you are right .