Post Newbie about reseller

Hi there, I have a few questions to ask about reseller hosting. Why I wanted a reseller plan because about 15 of my friends wanted a webhosting and ask me for recommendation. I want to earn from this and learn more about webhosting.

I have a name for my webhosting but the question is will I be able to use my domain for nameservers? ns1.mydomain.com ?

Is overselling a must to catch customer's eyes? What else must I look for? cpanel? billing system? If i have more customer in the future should i get a dedicated server?

Thanks

Yes, you can use your own ns1.domain.com with almost any reseller account these days. As for overselling, it may get your a few customers first, but what are you going to do when you get enough that you must upgrade your reseller package but aren't making enough to cover the costs?

Better to do it right the first time and price your services accordingly, in other words - don't oversell.

cPanel and WHMCS are two most popular combinations for control panel and billing system and I personally recommend them, these are available for free or for a small fee with most reseller packages.

As for dedicated servers, yes - you may need one (or a VPS) if the number of customers grows, but that is for later to worry about, you'll have enough of a hard time trying to get customers first, so focus on that.
    [BleemNET] Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

Thanks for the reply. What about the cost compared to reseller account? In terms of speed and stable.so you would recommend going for a reseller account first? I want to compare the prices before I purchase them

Welcome to this field. If you have 15 customers then you can earn a reasonable amount but you have to increase customers in near future to maximize your profits.
    Almost all reseller hosting providers offers free private name servers for your own domain. For billing system, whmcs is the most popular and very professional to manage your customers. So, check this forum for offers and go with one of them (But read some reviews prior to signup) http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130
    Modelwebhost.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMReseller | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept Paypal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, Payza, OKPAY and Bank payments

It definitely sounds to me like a reseller hosting plan would be great for you, especially if you already have people interested in a service from you
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by ngky7 View Post
    Hi there, I have a few questions to ask about reseller hosting. Why I wanted a reseller plan because about 15 of my friends wanted a webhosting and ask me for recommendation. I want to earn from this and learn more about webhosting.

I have a name for my webhosting but the question is will I be able to use my domain for nameservers? ns1.mydomain.com ?

Is overselling a must to catch customer's eyes? What else must I look for? cpanel? billing system? If i have more customer in the future should i get a dedicated server?

Thanks
    Well if you already have people coming to you for web hosting then I think that is a great starting point. I think to start with, you are probably going to have to oversell your reseller account, however that does not mean you should oversell to the point where you are claiming to offer unlimited diskspace..ect.

If I were you, I would focus on finding a company that is not overselling themselves, is dependable and then emulate some of their shared web hosting packages/pricing.

Hope that helps!
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Do as much research as possible and find a reliable reseller company. Big doesn't always mean better. Try to avoid overselling because overloaded servers can cause a lot of issues for customers, slowing down their websites and causing drive issues that could cause down time for repairs, customers could lose valuable data if the system crashed and they didn't have back-ups etc... When your starting out this could make or break you. Good Luck with everything!

Hello,

Before signing up for any web hosting company,be sure to carefully check the reviews.Also don't go for unlimited disk space gag.There is no such thing as unlimited hard drive ( at least not yet ) and also try to avoid master and alpha reseller plans.You should be good with regular reseller account.

I wish you much success in running a web hosting business.

Keep us updated
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

thanks for all the replies. I am now looking within my budget. cpanel, whmcs, fantastico, softaculous, ssl enable those kind of thing.
    Last edited by Ken Ng; 06-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Please help me choose. I think 30gb to 50gb of space. with cpanel, whmcs, fantastico, softaculous, ssl enable, domain reseller those kind of thing. At least 100mbit

reliable and help me throughout.

30 GB of space will be enough for starting out.You can always upgrade to a higher plan at anytime.
    Almost all providers include cPanel/WHM Softaculous and Fantastico.
    The hard thing is finding a reliable one.
    However when it comes to SSL,you will need a dedicated IP address.
    Last edited by tiger_host; 06-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.

I'm looking at wooservers at the moment. not much information is given. any other host to lookout? I don't mind if you post your ad your host here.

Hello,

wooservers limit maximum accounts,thats not a good thing.
    Oh one more thing.the cheapest is not always reliable.
    Remember: you get what you pay for.

You can try http://www.theprimehost.com
    Last edited by tiger_host; 06-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks. theprimehost looks alright for me. less than $20 is my budget now

I hope you will be happy with them.
    Keep us updated.

Good luck

Thanks, I will compare with other host and get one within my budget

Instead I go with innohosting. Will update

Quote Originally Posted by ngky7 View Post
    Instead I go with innohosting. Will update
    InnoHosting is a good choice as they have a very good reputation. I'm not hosting with them but I like their customer related business attitude as shown in some of their postings here at WHT. They really seem to care about their customers.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

19. Quote Originally Posted by tiger_host View Post
    Hello,

wooservers limit maximum accounts,thats not a good thing.
    Oh one more thing.the cheapest is not always reliable.
    Remember: you get what you pay for.

You can try http://www.theprimehost.com
    Limiting accounts is a good (and safe) thing to me to be aware they are really consious about what they are willing to provide.
    either you have to limit accounts or disk space.
    rather, I agree with it, limiting disk space is better for reseller.

We prefer limiting disk space then account limit.