Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Need a dedicated hosting! Leaving hostgator for good...

    I have had it with Hostgator. They have been good for the past 3 years and I have recommended them several times until my traffic starts to grow. I have currently about 150,000 visitors/ 500,000 pageviews a month

    Once in a while, when there is a surge to my traffic (especially due to stumble upon), my site get shut down without notice. Fine, I understand that but recently they begin to trigger happy suspending my site even though I have less than 50 concurrent user to my site! (I monitor visitor traffic every 5 mins). This is getting too unbelievable. Is my expectation too high?

    On top of that, I have 403 custom error page which I use to inform my visitors that my site is temporarily down and you know what they did? They too suspend that error page as well. Is this reasonable?!!! So now I am denied the right to inform visitors of my site situation?

    They are leaving me with no choice but to move elsewhere...


    I am not desperately looking for a reliable dedicated hosting and any good recommendation are welcomed.

    My bandwidth at the moment is about 1000 Gig a month
    Anything that is in the range of 50-100US dollar a month?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    126
    I'd suggest you going for a VPS in LiquidWeb. Alternatives : FutureHosting, KnownHost, ServInt.
    I dont think you really need a dedicated server at this point.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    I'd suggest you going for a VPS in LiquidWeb. Alternatives : FutureHosting, KnownHost, ServInt.
    I dont think you really need a dedicated server at this point.
    Or least any reliable shared hosting? I don't mind paying a little bit higher for stability.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by darrendelong View Post
    Or least any reliable shared hosting? I don't mind paying a little bit higher for stability.
    Id start with reliable shared hosting unless you think you may truly need a VPS solution. For the price you are looking at, Im not sure you will get a great Dedicated Server, but Im sure you could get a great VPS for that price!
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanelฎ Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

  5. #5
    I have to rephrase that they do contact me but after they shut down the site. There's no warning to let me have time to remedy or fix the issue. The damage has been done. But that's not the point. The point is they shut the site down despite only less than 50 (avg. 30) pageviews concurrently on a regular wordpress site. Is this acceptable?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stream101 View Post
    Id start with reliable shared hosting unless you think you may truly need a VPS solution. For the price you are looking at, Im not sure you will get a great Dedicated Server, but Im sure you could get a great VPS for that price!
    Will a VPS solve my problem?
    In that case, any good recommendation?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    165
    Maybe try a semi-dedicated? More or less the same as a shared server, but there's just a few clients sharing it. But a VPS would probably do as well.

    Good Luck
    Regards
    Jacob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    451
    Hello,

    I thinks you should go for a VPS. As time goes, I thinks the hits to your domain will increase. So better plan now and move to a VPS.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

    That's the mark of a true professional !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    i agree with vps hosting is reliable for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    I'd suggest you going for a VPS in LiquidWeb. Alternatives : FutureHosting, KnownHost, ServInt.
    I dont think you really need a dedicated server at this point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by darrendelong View Post
    Or least any reliable shared hosting? I don't mind paying a little bit higher for stability.
    May I know the disk space and monthly bandwidth usage? Also the web application you are using for your site?
    If your site is really getting REAL 50+ concurrent visitors, then shared hosting might not be suitable for your site. The best hosting companies I know limit the maximum MySQL concurrent connections to 25-30 for shared hosting. Its 50 for semi-dedicated which is near 25$/month.
    But Concurrent visitors and concurrent MySQL connections are different as a visitor may read a page for more than a minute while the person who is clicking an internal link will need a connection (for some milisecond) to the MySQL server.
    So, 25 concurrent MySQL connections is like 25 people querying the server (i.e. opening any page of your site) at the same time.

    FYI, HostGator's max mysql concurrent connections limit is 15.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    10,482
    My bandwidth at the moment is about 1000 Gig a month
    Curious as to what sort of site you are hosting to hit 1000GB of bandwidth, if that is the case I mean VPS might not be the most appropriate option to take instead take it on the gut instinct of a Dedicated System.

    Remember that a VPS is still shared between other users, but I did read you do get stumbled upon by other services so this might have a bit of a hit on the resources of the server.

    ServInt is quite good for a company, very prompt and very accurate on their replies but would it sustainable, well in my honest opinion I'd say not in this case
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    May I know the disk space and monthly bandwidth usage? Also the web application you are using for your site?
    If your site is really getting REAL 50+ concurrent visitors, then shared hosting might not be suitable for your site. The best hosting companies I know limit the maximum MySQL concurrent connections to 25-30 for shared hosting. Its 50 for semi-dedicated which is near 25$/month.
    But Concurrent visitors and concurrent MySQL connections are different as a visitor may read a page for more than a minute while the person who is clicking an internal link will need a connection (for some milisecond) to the MySQL server.
    So, 25 concurrent MySQL connections is like 25 people querying the server (i.e. opening any page of your site) at the same time.

    FYI, HostGator's max mysql concurrent connections limit is 15.
    Thanks for asking....

    At the time right before of the shutdown, I have an average of about 35 pageviews/visitors. I am using amungus.com javascript to track live visitors on my site. I believe it does not necessarily translate to 35 concurrent connections to MYSQL, as the visitor might just stay in a page for a minute or so. This would be a problem if stumbleupon send huge traffic to my site in a short time but that is not the case just now.

    Here's the current situation.
    Web application : Wordpress
    Plugins : W3Cache for caching site to reduce scripting overload
    Database: MySQL
    Current Average bandwidth usage per month : 800 - 1000 Gig per month
    website disk space usage: ~1630mb
    MySQL disk space usage: ~116mb

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Curious as to what sort of site you are hosting to hit 1000GB of bandwidth, if that is the case I mean VPS might not be the most appropriate option to take instead take it on the gut instinct of a Dedicated System.

    Remember that a VPS is still shared between other users, but I did read you do get stumbled upon by other services so this might have a bit of a hit on the resources of the server.

    ServInt is quite good for a company, very prompt and very accurate on their replies but would it sustainable, well in my honest opinion I'd say not in this case
    I am running a kind of fashion site, therefore there will lots of images which probably use up the bulk of the bandwidth. Hostgator have explained to me this time they **** me down has nothing to do with CPU resources but rather because of the incoming traffic which cause the Apache server to be overloaded causing other sites to slow down. That's the reason why I am surprised because I have only about 30-40 visitors online at that time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    126
    Okay, after reading about your site I personally would suggest you a Semi-Dedicated Server if not a VPS. Mostly, because LiteSpeed Semi-Dedicated Server will both be cheaper and faster(because of more RAM Allocation) than any low-end VPS.

    Check the advanced plan of MDDhosting : http://www.mddhosting.com/semidedicated.php

    Else,
    If you think your live visitors number will stay around 35-40 and won't go beyond 50 then you can certainly go for their Advanced Shared hosting plan which is a lot cheaper than the semi-dedicated advanced plan.

    http://www.mddhosting.com/hosting.php

    I personally prefer HyperCache plugin for wordpress. Also, have you thought of using a Free CDN (Content Delivery Network) like CloudFlare (cloudflare.com) which will increase the page loading speeds and reduce the bandwidth usage and server load drastically. This is the best option for you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    884
    Don't blame Hostgator. Your system resource usage has outgrown shared hosting, most likely a long time ago. You are using far more than $5 a month worth of resources.

    Wordpress sites can be very resource intensive, especially if you have that many users. With that much traffic you may want to go to do dedicated server. You are using a lot of bandwidth and resources. When you are suspended it is your account that gets suspended so your pages will not be accessible. Think of it this way, if you wanted to you could use your custom 403 pages to display more content and resources.

    Even if you were to go with an advanced semi-dedicated plan from MDDHosting it doesn't leave you a lot of overhead if your site continues to grow or gets a lot of traffic for a month. Good luck finding a new host.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In the Internets
    Posts
    3,622
    Quote Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
    Don't blame Hostgator. Your system resource usage has outgrown shared hosting, most likely a long time ago. You are using far more than $5 a month worth of resources.

    Wordpress sites can be very resource intensive, especially if you have that many users. With that much traffic you may want to go to do dedicated server. You are using a lot of bandwidth and resources. When you are suspended it is your account that gets suspended so your pages will not be accessible. Think of it this way, if you wanted to you could use your custom 403 pages to display more content and resources.

    Even if you were to go with an advanced semi-dedicated plan from MDDHosting it doesn't leave you a lot of overhead if your site continues to grow or gets a lot of traffic for a month. Good luck finding a new host.
    +1

    Every person thinks their website should only cost $5 and when it starts to use more resources, it's always the providers fault.

  17. #17
    you gotta move new VPS in order to get your site up

  18. #18
    Use CloudFlare. HostGator has a CloudFlare plugin in their cPanel! Just enable that and it will take most of the load (if you have a lot of images and stuff) of HostGator. That should solve your problem. No need to switch right now.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Use CloudFlare. HostGator has a CloudFlare plugin in their cPanel! Just enable that and it will take most of the load (if you have a lot of images and stuff) of HostGator. That should solve your problem. No need to switch right now.
    Agree.
    He uses 1TB bandwidth per month. Now clouflare cuts 40% So he'll be using 600GB per month which is good for HG as they advertise "UNLIMITED Bandwidth".

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    64
    hi there,

    personally, i will never ever be lured with so-called "unlimited bandwidth". I believe this is just a marketing gimmick and I prefer to have a certain amount of bandwidth quota on a good server (with less sites), rather than chasing for unlimited bandwidth package in a crowded server.

    Based on your site that consumes 500K pageviews a month, I would strongly suggest you to go with a dedicated server directly. It may be a bit costly for you, but I believe you can coup back some of the server fees by selling ads on your site. If your site has 500K pageviews a month, it would probably worth more than $1000 a month in ads revenue.

    Another alternative is to consider a Cloud Hosting Service. Obviously, if you know how to manage a server, this seems to be a wise choice.

    My recommendation is softlayer.com and they provide excellent service! Hope this helps.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    Agree.
    He uses 1TB bandwidth per month. Now clouflare cuts 40% So he'll be using 600GB per month which is good for HG as they advertise "UNLIMITED Bandwidth".
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely look into that...

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by software_tech View Post
    hi there,

    personally, i will never ever be lured with so-called "unlimited bandwidth". I believe this is just a marketing gimmick and I prefer to have a certain amount of bandwidth quota on a good server (with less sites), rather than chasing for unlimited bandwidth package in a crowded server.

    Based on your site that consumes 500K pageviews a month, I would strongly suggest you to go with a dedicated server directly. It may be a bit costly for you, but I believe you can coup back some of the server fees by selling ads on your site. If your site has 500K pageviews a month, it would probably worth more than $1000 a month in ads revenue.

    Another alternative is to consider a Cloud Hosting Service. Obviously, if you know how to manage a server, this seems to be a wise choice.

    My recommendation is softlayer.com and they provide excellent service! Hope this helps.
    THanks for the advice..
    I do find the cost of dedicated server to be pretty high but I will look into that and study the pros and cons. How about DNS-Robin? is that gonna help?

  23. #23
    Although i have no idea about the price charged by them for this but I am suggesting you to have reliable Virtual Private Server for this in order to have smooth functioning of your system in future.

  24. #24

    Exclamation

    Try to upgrade your plan to VPS as soon as possible. Hostgator has different plans for VPS I think. You can do upgrade in hostgator itself. I too think that system resource usage has outgrown shared hosting and your website need more system resources and that is possible only when you upgrade your plan and not changing your web host.
    Domains Hosting Coupons & Reviews for Godaddy, BlueHost, iPage, Hostnine, WPEngine | Wordpress Themes Promo Codes - Elegant Themes.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    126
    I suggest you to try using CloudFlare once and seeing if it reduces the server load or not. bandwidth will not be a problem in HostGator.

Similar Threads

  1. Need Recommendation Please (Leaving Hostgator!)
    By Teklancer in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 05:02 AM
  2. leaving HostGator and transferring to Host9 ?
    By manhal in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM
  3. leaving site5 need a good web hosting
    By novocaine in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 02:52 AM
  4. Leaving HostGator - what a joke :(
    By Think-eDesign in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 01:06 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •