mysql always going down

Hi all

Is there a way to check why my server's is mysql is always going down? all i have on this dedicated server is 1 forum which is active though we are only talking a handful of members online at once ( its a new forum ).

For some reason the mysql is going down quite often and when i try to restart by ssh it wont work.

Hope you guys can help

Steve

When the mysql goes down could you check to see if the process has just hung or is still partially active (linux top command would work). If it is still running but not responding it could be a memory issue.

Hi

I have just been informed by my dedicated server provider that its a possible hard drive failure ( just under testing now ). If this is the case i would possibly loose all my data, though thankfully i have took a backup of the database yesterday and have the files ( just need to re-install the new mods i added. )

So...

is this possible? if i put too drives on the server, one i have now and add a second drive. Put everything on the first drive, though everything will be copied over the second drive, so that when the first drive fails, the second one kicks in and keeps my website up.

How would i do this? could you guys explain what i need, im newish to this.

Thanks
    Steve

Ask your host to setup Raid 1 on your server.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Raid 1? Software or hardware based? whats the difference?

Thanks
    Steve

Software Raid 1 should be sufficient.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Hardware raid will provide an increase in performance and would not effect cpu usage. However software raid would be more then sufficent for just a webserver. If you can get hardware raid without any additional cost(or a small cost) then get it otherwise just use software.

Raid 1, what do i need to do once i add it to my server for it to copy over from the first drive? does it do it automatically? will the 2nd drive automatically kick in? also do i need to install an OS on the 2nd drive? or will it copy that from the first drive as well?

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks
    Steve

Hello Steve,

for Software RAID1 you won't need to do anything, no OS re-installation needed, and yes it will automatically copy files to the second disk.

Highest Regards
    Mohammed H
    www.xsltel.com
    Simplest way to host your website
    GitHub

Hi

So just to clarify.. I setup the first drive with the OS install the forum etc, then when i add trhe raid 1 and second drive, i dont need to do anything? it will automatically keep an update copy on the second drive? does it copy the first drive as new data is added?

Also if the first drive fails how will i know its failed it the 2nd drive automatically kicks in so the websites dont go down? do i have to just keep checking?

Thanks
    Steve

First check the mysql process taking your server down

Check the database in question.

optimize it

Check the disk i/0 values

This should help you in finding what is causing this issue
    Hillock Hosting
    Unlimited Hosting Solution
    Reliable Shared | Reseller| VPS Hosting Services

Hey ,

If you are planning on doing software RAID , then this is usually handled by the Data Center provider itself on the server and is not done from the OS . You can check with them for help on this.

RAID 1 means all data is copied written to both disks at the same time, and the RAID 1 disks act as one hard drive (i.e. you will see one hard drive even though there's 2 there). When one fails, it will throw an alarm, but you won't see any issues other than a slight slowdown in most cases (caching usually gets turned off when arrays are degraded).

You should check your MySQL logs 1st (/var/logs/mysql in debian), then also the system logs: disk failures will be in /var/log/sys.log and kern.log in debian / ubuntu systems.

hardware vs software RAID means where the RAID is coordinated: software let's you do the work using a program installed with the OS, hardware is configured through BIOS or hardware settings. This depends on the OS.